11 replies to this topic

#1 flashgit

flashgit

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

I want to insure a Mini 25 for me to drive. There appears to be a problem because the car is registered in my son's name. Does anyone know of an insurance company who will insure just me (no other drivers) for this car?

Background: My son (19yo) has bought another car so that the Mini can come "off the road" for some TLC. He can only afford to insure the other car. The Mini is due to visit a bodyshop in the very near future and it will be simpler for me to drive it there and back before the car is SORN'd (and insured appropriately)

#2 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

My jaw needs oiling. Where's the WD40??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

There's no issue doing this my dad drove my mini (which is in my name) for about a year before I started driving.

#3 flashgit

flashgit

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

Who was the insurance with? Both CaroleNash and FootmanJames are not interested

#4 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

My jaw needs oiling. Where's the WD40??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

Cant remember now to be honest I think we used money supermarket to compare prices and went for the cheapest one

#5 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:13 PM

My understanding is that the Mini 25 will need to be insured to be on the road and the only person who can insure it is your son (the registered keeper). Your choices are either to be on your son's insurance policy, or if you can drive other vehicles with third party cover on your policy, then once your son has insured the 25, then you can drive it being covered by your policy.

I had a similar but different situation to yours about 4 years ago, so looked into this in some depth. It's very annoying that from what I understood, the rules for this type of situation is that only the registered keeper can insure the car and the car must have its own insurance to be on the road.

I spoke to a number of insurance companies about this and they all said the same thing. However, I don't know if things have changed this then.

#6 CK's mini

CK's mini

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

Why not try temp cover???

#7 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Swiftcover were brilliant for me . I insured my mums car.  Excellent service and cheap as chips

#8 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:17 PM

My understanding is that the Mini 25 will need to be insured to be on the road and the only person who can insure it is your son (the registered keeper). Your choices are either to be on your son's insurance policy, or if you can drive other vehicles with third party cover on your policy, then once your son has insured the 25, then you can drive it being covered by your policy.
I had a similar but different situation to yours about 4 years ago, so looked into this in some depth. It's very annoying that from what I understood, the rules for this type of situation is that only the registered keeper can insure the car and the car must have its own insurance to be on the road.
I spoke to a number of insurance companies about this and they all said the same thing. However, I don't know if things have changed this then.

Cannot dispute your research, but when at work we operated a lease car scheme and the registered owner of the vehicles were the lease company but we as individuals insured them. However I have just re-read your post and you are quoting the registered keeper rather than the registered owner so perhaps that makes a difference.

#9 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

Cannot dispute your research, but when at work we operated a lease car scheme and the registered owner of the vehicles were the lease company but we as individuals insured them. However I have just re-read your post and you are quoting the registered keeper rather than the registered owner so perhaps that makes a difference.

Yes, and my research was only to do with indidivuals not companies, leasing organisations etc. I was not able to get anyone to insure me on my son's car which was uninsured. At the time, I was told that situation was uninsurable and that either he needed to insure the car or I had to register the car in my name.

#10 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

admiral done it for me, dads the registered keeper and they said it'll be fine just me being on it.

#11 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

I did not have this problem. I had to sell my car ( to stop the ex wife from claiming it was hers ) I "sold " it to my mum and she registered the vehicle in her name. She was the legal owner AND the registered keeper. I insured the vehicle with Swiftcover who happily accepted this. I kept it like this for 3 years until the car was registered back in my name this year.

Perhaps it vary's with different companies

#12 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

I'm not the registered keeper for my car and have never had an issue with insurance, I'm with axa at the moment and admiral before.

Plus 1 on admiral allowing you to do temp insurance on an additional car to get it to the garage, I did this when I picked up one I just bought and they gave me 7 days cover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users