#1 Mini Mega828

Mini Mega828

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Local Club: Madd Old Minis

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:47 PM

Have searched and not found anything on this.

Iv hear from many places that I dont have to tell my insurer about a better air filter because it is not classed as a modification 

I am suspicious as it does do something to performance

Has any one had any expirience with this?

#2 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:54 PM

Yes it is classed as a modification and is one of the most obvious things you could not declare. 

You definitely do need to declare it, in fact anything that changes it from original.

#3 Mini Mega828

Mini Mega828

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:56 PM

Yes it is classed as a modification and is one of the most obvious things you could not declare. 

You definitely do need to declare it, in fact anything that changes it from original.

Thanks harry for clearing that up 

I thought it would have been 

#4 lyndseyp27

lyndseyp27

A little bit little

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

It didn't actually knock my premium up at all when I delcared mine

#5 Mini Mega828

Mini Mega828

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:21 PM

It didn't actually knock my premium up at all when I delcared mine

yer I would get one but as Im still 17 modifing your car is a big NO NO with insurers

i need to wait 2 years untill things are more relaxed

#6 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:02 PM

As above a high flow air filter is considered a performance modification, must be declared and could well increase your premium. The reality is that fitting one in isolation will do virtually nothing for performance though, so it really isn't worth the hassle.

#7 Tim@Prestige

Tim@Prestige

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:53 AM

Yes. Officially - you should notify your insurers about this. We are mod-friendly so it wouldn't be a problem on our scheme but others may vary.

Edited by Tim@Prestige, 21 November 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:31 AM

What you have to remember is any mod you do to your car should be declared no matter how stupid it may seem. Things like alloy wheels is a classic one.

You may already have factory alloy wheels fitted to your car so you would think ahh I have alloys fitted already so fitting different ones won't matter?? Are you sure about that??

It's a minefield out there with regards to things like this. I declared changing from drums to discs and fitting Hi lo's and Cooper S steelies, did not make any difference and no issues however if the there was a accident etc they could have said you car is not standard so we won't pay out.

So it's up to you what you do to your car but seriously think about it first and if in doubt ring up your insurance company and ask them if there will be a difference on your premium.

#9 Mini Mega828

Mini Mega828

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

What you have to remember is any mod you do to your car should be declared no matter how stupid it may seem. Things like alloy wheels is a classic one.

You may already have factory alloy wheels fitted to your car so you would think ahh I have alloys fitted already so fitting different ones won't matter?? Are you sure about that??

It's a minefield out there with regards to things like this. I declared changing from drums to discs and fitting Hi lo's and Cooper S steelies, did not make any difference and no issues however if the there was a accident etc they could have said you car is not standard so we won't pay out.

So it's up to you what you do to your car but seriously think about it first and if in doubt ring up your insurance company and ask them if there will be a difference on your premium.

I will be declaring whatever I do to my mini I had just heard that u dont have to declare air filters

And my car did have the alloy superlites standard as well

also my Interior seats and such are factory options from a few different cars and so although my insurers know about that it does not affect my premium 

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

I will be declaring whatever I do to my mini I had just heard that u dont have to declare air filters

also my Interior seats and such are factory options from a few different cars and so although my insurers know about that it does not affect my premium 

Its always better to err on the side of caution. I know to a lot of people it sounds boring etc etc etc but experience says a lot here so fair play to you declaring your mods. 

#11 Mini Mega828

Mini Mega828

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:43 PM

Its always better to err on the side of caution. I know to a lot of people it sounds boring etc etc etc but experience says a lot here so fair play to you declaring your mods. 

yer I know

And I will be declaring everything when the modifications do begin in a few year 

#12 Tim@Prestige

Tim@Prestige

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:24 AM

yer I know

And I will be declaring everything when the modifications do begin in a few year

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users