Photo
- - - - -

Is This Hub Ok To Use?

Best Answer Yoda , 01 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

The dull grey surfaces are the outer parts of the bearings, so fitting new bearings should make it perfectly usable as long as the rest of the hub is not damaged.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

Hello everyone.

I have been sorting through some of the Mini's component parts and made a start on refurbishing them.

I dug out the rear hubs and successfully refurbished one of them but the other one, i am not so sure if it is worth it.

The faces inside the casting where the bearings run against should be polished but the ones in this hub for some reason are dull, grey and pitted.

P1060466_zpswnttra4n.jpg

P1060467_zpsr3s0lyor.jpg

The Question is, will it be ok to use once cleaned up, or is it un-salvageable?

I wanted to know now so i can find a replacement and not waste time fixing this one up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

#2 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:40 AM   Best Answer

The dull grey surfaces are the outer parts of the bearings, so fitting new bearings should make it perfectly usable as long as the rest of the hub is not damaged.

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

So i need to get them out?

#4 Yoda

Yoda

• Traders
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

Yes. If you look between the bearing rings you will see two slots that you can insert a drift in to knock out the rings.

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:56 AM

Thank you Yoda!

i am so glad i asked my stupid question otherwise i would have felt pretty stupid when it comes to fitting the new bearings!

Ill get them out and carry on now.

Cheers

Ben

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,963 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:57 AM

Got a Haynes manual?

No. Get one.

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:14 AM

Got a Haynes manual?

No. Get one.

Alright, Cool your boots!

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,435 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:01 PM

Scrub off the surface rust that'll be in the way removing the races and sit it in the oven with your Sunday roast to make life easier. A blast of oil/ WD40 will also cool 'n contract it afterwards - the race not your dinner!

#9 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

Bilthamber Deox C is brilliant for stuff like this. Make up a solution of it a quarter strength of what the tin says (no point wasting it ;-) ). Stick it in for a day and it will come out looking new.

#10 Yoda

Yoda

• Traders
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

Scrub off the surface rust that'll be in the way removing the races and sit it in the oven with your Sunday roast to make life easier. A blast of oil/ WD40 will also cool 'n contract it afterwards - the race not your dinner!

Now i know where i go wrong every Sunday!

I thought my yorkies tasted odd! Mind you they do come out of the muffin tray easier.

Bilthamber Deox C is brilliant for stuff like this. Make up a solution of it a quarter strength of what the tin says (no point wasting it  ;-) ). Stick it in for a day and it will come out looking new.

Still gotta change the races though.

No offense to Tamworthybay,  thought i would say just in case we get another daft question.

Edited by Yoda, 01 February 2015 - 12:21 PM.

#11 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

Thank you Yoda!

i am so glad i asked my stupid question otherwise i would have felt pretty stupid when it comes to fitting the new bearings!

Ill get them out and carry on now.

Cheers

Ben

It would've been obvious when the new ones came.

If you haven't got a decent punch set bring it over and we'll remove them here

#12 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

Now i know where i go wrong every Sunday!

I thought my yorkies tasted odd! Mind you they do come out of the muffin tray easier.

Bilthamber Deox C is brilliant for stuff like this. Make up a solution of it a quarter strength of what the tin says (no point wasting it  ;-) ). Stick it in for a day and it will come out looking new.

Still gotta change the races though.

No offense to Tamworthybay,  thought i would say just in case we get another daft question.
Indeedy! I don't mention it as I wouldn't think anyone would fit a new inner with an old outer (well I know Ben wouldn't) but I guess someone might! I would take them out before soaking as it would clean any crap out behind them.

#13 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

Cheers fellas

Carlos, i will bring them if i don't manage to get them out but after persevering with that stupid shock bolt on the top arm the other day, ill probably get it out ok.

I keep hearing good things about this deox gel. Now might be the time to try it.

It might have been a silly question in hindsight but nothing makes me feel more stoopid than the fact i masked up the old outer races on the other hub when i primed it  >_<   :lol:

Ben

#14 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

Cheers fellas

Carlos, i will bring them if i don't manage to get them out but after persevering with that stupid shock bolt on the top arm the other day, ill probably get it out ok.

I keep hearing good things about this deox gel. Now might be the time to try it.

It might have been a silly question in hindsight but nothing makes me feel more stoopid than the fact i masked up the old outer races on the other hub when i primed it  >_<   :lol:

Ben

they do DEOX C and DEOX gel, the C is a powder you make into a solution which is great for smaller parts. The gel will stick on panels etc and I think is aimed more at panels. I have used both and they work well, the C is the best in my opinion though.

#15 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:09 PM

Cheers fellas

Ben

they do DEOX C and DEOX gel, the C is a powder you make into a solution which is great for smaller parts. The gel will stick on panels etc and I think is aimed more at panels. I have used both and they work well, the C is the best in my opinion though.

Ill make an order for the C stuff then.

Cheers

Ben

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users