#1 FortyTwo

FortyTwo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:58 AM

Hello,
A family a squirrels just lost a home. I brought this car home and have been cleaning it out. I'm trying to decide how far I should take restoration. It will be somewhat true to its current race form.
I would like to find out if this car was raced or won anything. What do somef that markings mean. And help identifying what's a neat or good race related part to keep. For instance the gt seats seem real neat and i would like to restore.
If anyone has a picture of it in its hey day that would be real cool.

What I know. I beleive it was originally a 1963 standard mini, engine is now a 1070 with remote transmission, 120 mph speedo right hand drive. Was in the USA in 1988 has been abandon about that time. I beleive it was in England in 76 based on the "Anton rally 76" sticker on the aftermarket right gas tank. I will let the pictures speak for the rest.
Thanks
Ed

Attached Files

#2 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:31 AM

If that downton logo on the side is signifying anything to do with the engine, you have found an epic car.  Very jealous!!!

#3 Dzmarc

Dzmarc

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:13 AM

Looks smart. Not sure what you paided for it ;-)  but could of found yourself a gem if that is a proper Downton. 

Start a project tread in the forum, sure I and many more would be interested to see the outcome.

#4 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:43 AM

I am pretty sure I know who owned that mini.  I certainly recognise the registration!  The stickers etc tie in with what I know about the car.  I'll speak to the person concerned before I reply. 

#5 FortyTwo

FortyTwo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:05 PM

Thanks,
I have done some minimal research on downton and longman. The loose metal plaque was not mounted but looks in good shape. I'm planning on restoring it to a race car but the main part I'm questioning is the dash. I kinda like the look of the original 63 dash, but sourcing parts will be difficult. I'm considering keeping the current one if it was raced and did well. Then I'll just restore it as is. Should I have the lettering on the side redone when I get it repainted?

IF the engine is downton, then would a simple dissassemble, clean up new rings and gaskets be in order? What other parts did they change out?
Thanks
Ed

#6 FortyTwo

FortyTwo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:08 PM

I am pretty sure I know who owned that mini.  I certainly recognise the registration!  The stickers etc tie in with what I know about the car.  I'll speak to the person concerned before I reply.

Thanks, I hope the old owner is willing to let you share some info about it. I plan on doing the car justice and getting her on the road. I would love pictures and a back story to go with it. Even send some pics when I finish the car. It will take me in the three year range to get it back on the road with paint.
If they don't want to be public about it send me a pm and I can send my email and or home address.
Thanks
Ed

#7 FortyTwo

FortyTwo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:21 PM

If someone with info is unable or not comfortable sharing information publicly about this car. Please feel free to email me at [email protected]
I really would love to put together the full story on it. Even old pictures would be neat.
Thanks
Ed

#8 minimole23

minimole23

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:45 PM

That looks like a car with all the right bits on. Be interesting to see what lurks beneath and within the engine when that gets opened up. 

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:48 AM

I would suggest posting on the Mk1 Performance Conversions website as there are some very knowledgeable people on there when it comes to race history. They have researched and put together some fascinating history for other UK to US cars including photos, programmes, results, finding previous owners.....

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,778 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

I agree with GraemeC, try also posting your photos on the Mk1 Forum.....see direct link below:-

http://mk1-forum.net/viewforum.php?f=5

#11 FortyTwo

FortyTwo

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:02 AM

Thanks,
I have created an account and plan on posting as soon as it's active. Graemec. Thanks for posting the link. Do you suggest me posting in your thread or creating a new one?
Thanks
Ed

#12 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:03 PM

I would start a new one - it will liven it up and the guys will know you're the owner

#13 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

What a find such a cool car sir :)

#14 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:42 PM

Any updates on this? Peaked my interest

#15 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

Any updates on this? Peaked my interest

me too.

Jealous too but not for the huge amount of metal work you need to put in to bring it back to its glory...

Especially photos in its full glory as I really like the painting/Graphic setup.

With a little twist for the personal touch this would be great graphics for my race tool project.

Edited by Helldriver, 22 May 2015 - 02:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users