10 replies to this topic

#1 tuna

tuna

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:40 PM

My mini has broken down.  Had a mobile mechanic out, he said it was relay.  bought a new one but that's had no effect to the problem.

So basically what i'm asking is does anybody know a mini engine guru that happens to live near Hull, east yorkshire?

will obviously pay for the work as well as travel expenses

Thanks in advance

#2 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:19 PM

Welcome to TMF.

What age is your mini, and what are the symptoms?

#3 tuna

tuna

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:00 PM

It's 1994. The engine sounded like it was coming through the dashboard when I accelerated. Was on my way to the garage to get it fixed and on route it just cut out. Now there's nothing when I turn the key.

#4 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

DId it knock on acceleration?  Like a CLUNK when you lift on/off?

Is it possible for you to look under the bonnet and check that the top engine steady is still intact?

It could be an issue with the engine steady coming adrift and maybe the engine earth strap has broken?

EDIT: As you look at the driver's side of the engine, there should be a bar that looks like this:

engine%20steady.jpg

#5 tuna

tuna

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:37 AM

Just checked and the earth strap is still attached

#6 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:38 PM

When you say nothing when you turn the key, do you mean literally nothing?  No click, no turn over, or does the engine crank?  If it doesn't crank, what about electrical items (lights, horn etc) ?

#7 tuna

tuna

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

All lights horn radio ect... Are working fine. Even tried jump leads just in case batt was knackered but it's not that. The engine doesn't turn when key is turned. The relay clicks, hence I bought a new one in case it was that. Engine all fine as I've also tried bumping it off

#8 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

Is it an Spi

#9 tuna

tuna

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

Where would I find that out?

#10 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

Being a 94 car, I am guessing it is an SPi, and I think Mk1 Leg was asking for the same reason. Lift the bonnet, and in the far right, there is a small black device - it is a fuel cut out switch. If there is a big enough knock, it can pop this switch. This will stop any fuel getting to the injection system. The idea is that in a crash, it cuts the fuel supply and hopefully reduces the risk of a fire etc. 

The top of this switch is round. Just push it down, and all should be good to go again. While you are doing it, take a look at the wiring on it - on my old one it had been badly bodged so was really dodgy. 

Edit:

IMG_0312.jpg

This is what your engine bay will look like if you have an SPi. If you look just to the right of the air filter, there are two yellow squares. Just to the right of this, there is a little black thing - just above the silver metal thing (which is your wiper motor). This black thing is your fuel cut out switch and the top of this is what you need to press. 

Edited by Black.Ghost, 02 May 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#11 peter-b

peter-b

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Local Club: still looking

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

The fuel cut out enertia switch wont stop it turning over but If the engine has really been bouncing round in there, the wiring to the starter may have got damaged or dislodged. Check theyre all still attached and tight. Is there power to solinoid wire when you're trying to start it? If so, turn headlights on and try starting it, do they stay on or dim out. If they dim out you may have battery and or main lead problem. If they stay on and bright, then its starter and or solinoid.
Other than that, I think you need a tow truck. I'm not trying to be negative but there's about a thousand different things that'll stop a car starting and unless you're a bit mechanicly minded its really is a job for someone who is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users