JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 12 June 2015 - 11:09 AM

Need a sanity check here.

My new half floor has a coat of Epoxy with some areas burnt through and ground.
The rest of the floor is a mix of old paint rust and Etch coat where I have done other repairs.

I am just finishing off the last underside welding, then I still have to fit the Jacking Points and Sills.

I was going to clean up the underside and give it all one coat of Epoxy along with the inside of the Sills and Inside if Jacking Points.

Then Seam Seal under the Door Step.

I was then going to weld in the Jacking Points clean up, patch up the epoxy and then then top coat the Inner Sill and under the door step and the inside of the Outer Sill.

Once dry I was then going to mark the floor where the sills will fit and clean back to metal where they would be welded.

I was then going to weld on the Sills, clean up and patch the epoxy.

Then Seam sill the underside where required (should I seam seal where I have welded?). Another coat of Epoxy, if I have enough, Gravitex, and Top Coat.

Does this seam logical as Spock would say.

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 12 June 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#2 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 06:48 PM

Sounds good to me as long as the epoxy is scuffed well for a good key to take the second coat.

Sounds logical to me Captain :)

#3 castafiore

castafiore

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:32 AM

I have been seam sealing over the welding line, especially if it's an area where you can't get in to grind it flush. Sealer will fill in any pin holes, and provide a smoother surface so it's harder for water to get trapped. I usually prime, seam seal, then prime again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users