41 replies to this topic

#1 Mallery10

Mallery10

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:14 AM

Some pics and progress of my V Tec project called Sheldon.  I bought an 89 Red Flame from a P and L Minis in Rotherham in March this year.  The one lady owner is probably not impressed with what I've done to her car.  It came with 26k worth of receipts and 114k on the clock.   I think the only item left from the original purchase was the glass. She had everything replaced at least once and certainly used it.   The shell was replaced 10 years ago.  As you can see from the pictures cutting up a non welded shell is nice but it does make you feel somewhat guilty.

Thanks for the advice so far with the build.  Really helps to know your not alone!!!

Attached File  sheldon31.jpg   78.75K   28 downloadsAttached File  sheldon41.jpg   67.47K   22 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 51.jpg   73.91K   9 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 61.jpg   53.77K   8 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 71.jpg   60.68K   10 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 81.jpg   37.46K   12 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 91.jpg   84.06K   6 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 101.jpg   49.07K   9 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 111.jpg   48.72K   10 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 121.jpg   64.04K   23 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 131.jpg   80.03K   33 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 151.jpg   82.94K   11 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 141.jpg   80.45K   12 downloadsAttached File  Sheldon 161.jpg   68.65K   15 downloads

Attached File  sheldon11.jpg   77.84K   15 downloadsAttached File  sheldon21.jpg   51.06K   18 downloads

#2 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

Good luck with the project, please keep the photos coming.

#3 Mallery10

Mallery10

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

A few more pictures of slow progress

Attached File  bulkhead.jpg   51.55K   11 downloads

Bulkhead wholes welded up, filled and primed

Attached File  engine as was.jpg   77.34K   12 downloads

Engine arrived.  Lot of cleaning to do

Attached File  engine low.jpg   71.77K   20 downloads

Engined cleaned up and in the frame

Mounts painted and fitted

Attached File  engine mount low.jpg   22.89K   19 downloads

Nearside mount modified but I think I need to strengthen it

Attached File  floor 2 low.jpg   44.68K   9 downloads

Floor prepped and stone chipped

Attached File  floor low.jpg   40.77K   18 downloads

#4 Mallery10

Mallery10

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:59 AM

Attached File  IMG_3874.JPG   34.2K   13 downloadsAttached File  IMG_4001.PNG   478.59K   13 downloadsAttached File  IMG_4003.PNG   524.16K   28 downloads

Body back from spray shop at last.  Renault Clio red.

#5 BLING BLING WHEELZ

BLING BLING WHEELZ

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:37 AM

IMG_3874.JPG IMG_4001.PNG IMG_4003.PNG

Body back from spray shop at last.  Renault Clio red.

😭 going to do my z car candy apple red thort it would be the only one

#6 Mallery10

Mallery10

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:13 PM

A few more pics of the progress. 

Couple of questions you someone may be able to help me with. Any help how big or small really appreciated!

Cooling - Does the top hose from the Radiator go to the bottom hose on the block?  Do I connect the expansion tank to the lowest point on the bottom hose from the block and fit the header tank level with the top of the head? My rad has no filler cap.

Will the standard V tec run cool enough without a fan or do I need to plan one?

Gear linkage - Is their any way of creating a gate to prevent hitting reverse.  Not sure if it will be a problem but the gate seems close with no lift mechanism.

The gear lever looks awfully straight. Out of reach.  Anyone had any luck with bending without snapping?

Hand Brake - Think I may have the wrong brake lever linkage, an additional linkage bar to be made I think?

Wiring - One big concern I have is I only have the standard ECU with no loom to convert mini to v tec.  Anyone made their own loom and got round the ECU without paying out for a HONDATA

Hope you can help, Phil

Attached Files

#7 Mallery10

Mallery10

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:50 PM

A few pics of progress

Attached Files

#8 dondo

dondo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:35 AM

Sheldon looking good, all you hard work will be worth it in the end trust us. 

Very nice build.

Don

#9 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:08 AM

^^^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

#10 BLING BLING WHEELZ

BLING BLING WHEELZ

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:21 PM

A few more pics of the progress. 

Couple of questions you someone may be able to help me with. Any help how big or small really appreciated!

Cooling - Does the top hose from the Radiator go to the bottom hose on the block?  Do I connect the expansion tank to the lowest point on the bottom hose from the block and fit the header tank level with the top of the head? My rad has no filler cap.

Will the standard V tec run cool enough without a fan or do I need to plan one?

Gear linkage - Is their any way of creating a gate to prevent hitting reverse.  Not sure if it will be a problem but the gate seems close with no lift mechanism.
The gear lever looks awfully straight. Out of reach.  Anyone had any luck with bending without snapping?

Hand Brake - Think I may have the wrong brake lever linkage, an additional linkage bar to be made I think?

Wiring - One big concern I have is I only have the standard ECU with no loom to convert mini to v tec.  Anyone made their own loom and got round the ECU without paying out for a HONDATA

Hope you can help, Phil

Hope this helps someone may disagree with what i am saying but this is what i have managed to find out and done to my car

The bottom rad point to bottom of engine and the header tank should be connected to bottom of engine
I put the header tank as high as possible on mine

I had to modify my hand break bracket and extend it pictured in my build page

The wiring i contact the company called dtafast they will supply you an ecu and a loom

The gear linkage am unsure of what is wrong with yours but mine was a pain to set up and a lot of re adjusting

Hope all this helps
Car looks very nice love the colour

#11 Mallery10

Mallery10

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:53 PM

Cheers. Yes helps thanks. Wiring sorted now apart from reverse solenoid gate (think I'm going to wire it to a switch on the dash)and temp gauge. handbrake linkage sorted, gear lever heated and bent to correct position. Your build pictures have really helped my progress thank you.

#12 BLING BLING WHEELZ

BLING BLING WHEELZ

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

Cheers. Yes helps thanks. Wiring sorted now apart from reverse solenoid gate (think I'm going to wire it to a switch on the dash)and temp gauge. handbrake linkage sorted, gear lever heated and bent to correct position. Your build pictures have really helped my progress thank you.

Good luck with the rest of the build any other issues will try and help

#13 Mallery10

Mallery10

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

Picked this rear screen up from 

https://plastics4performance.com/

Based in Lancashire

Great product at great price.  Easy access

Attached Files

#14 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:01 PM

That looks like a great idea, but wilI it seal up well against rain, and will it be noisy - as in wind noise - at speed?

#15 Mallery10

Mallery10

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:25 PM

It will definately leak, no seal on it. Not sure car will see the rain!!! Not long off first road test now, I'll let you know about wind noise!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users