steveo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:54 AM

Hi all,

Started collecting the essential parts for my latest quest in mini build.

I have the shell, rear beam, front KAD brakes etc... but wanted everyone's advice on conversion kit.

I have been most interested in the promotive kit, keeping the front subframe (in essence) and keeing the Front engine FWD layout I am keen to keep.

There are Lynx AE, Knight Motorsport and a recent discovery of VETECH for a 'busa engine in the front (here's the link)

What's everyone else's feedback on such conversions?

#2 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:56 AM

The VETECH hayabusa conversion looks nice, but I would be amazed if there is any change from 15 grand for the complete conversion without a car

David

#3 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

Pro-Motive Simples, probably far more kits been sold and being used. The kit has been around the longest as well.....and local being in Stratford ;)

#4 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:24 PM

Do plenty of research before you buy. Pro-motive kit is by far the most popular front engined conversion but it's not without issues - clutch access, leaking diffs are a couple I can mention. But there's also plenty of advice and tips from those that have fitted them.

#5 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

Lynx:

advantages:

direct bolt in cradle so you can keep your suspension aligned etc. , easy engine and clutch access, race proven (lynx miglia racer), cooling issues solved properly, diff sealed well, good ground clearance, exhaust design best possible for bec

disadvantages:

lots little stuff to modify and little parts which needed to be bought separately (not huge costs but very time consuming and pita), very short chain=life and no cover so surroundings gets fast covered in grease (main issue of this kit), torques steer as right drive shaft will be shortened , electric reverse can be a problem if you need a FIA papers (in switzerland no electric reverse allowed)

Promotive:

pro: all included in the kit, easy to mount, long chain life for a bec/possibility of a belt drive, mechanical reverse (FIA rules!), engine low mounted (pure race too this is good), original drive shafts usable

negative:

exhaust design costs hp, low ground clearance, diff leaking (main issue of the kit, don't understand why this is not solved/redesigned as kit is for nearly 10 years on the market), cooling issues on track (can be solved), clutch and engine access is difficult (needs a full taking apart)

knight motorsport (not much experience with it, so I don't now the main issues)

pro:

bang for bucks with optional turbo conversion, torque steer solved, modern proper front alignment possible

negative:

clubman front, short chain=life, otherwise not much info on it/homepage shows under construction since month (maybe a cause of Waynes bad car accident) 

all kits above R1 engine is cheap, easy to get and reliable. definitely chose the 5pw injection engine (use search function why)

Vetech:

interesting, saw it first time but seams very expensive. for a premium build for 20-30k yes but otherwise if busa wanted then z-car.

Edited by Helldriver, 30 June 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

The one myself and my lad have earmarked for buying is the Pro Motive kit. Pretty much plug and play as all of the hard work has been done for you. From what i can gather its not suitable for a turbo conversion if you want to go that route.

#7 superteddyeddy

superteddyeddy

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:11 PM

Check out busa mini. From Worcester. I have been out in this car round castle combe it's unreal. Defo where I put my money

#8 Spaceibiza

Spaceibiza

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

I have been out in the Knight Motorsport R1 Turbo clubman and it's an amazing bit of engineering and such an experience! If you don't mind running a Clubman front end, then this is definitely the best front engined R1 conversion. Wayne has built his own tubular front subframe with proper adjustable geometry. It uses a much bigger ford gripper differential and equal length driveshafts so it puts the power down. Wayne's kit also has a much longer chain that the Lynx kit for better chain life. hence why it can only be fitted in a clubman front. When i spoke to him, he said that he could make it fit under a round nose, but it would make the chain too short and then unreliable. You can also add a turbo if you fancy having 300bhp at your disposal! I would definitely recommend speaking to Wayne about his kit if your thinking along these lines. Having said that, I think the Vetech Hayabusa kit looks amazing though and i for one will be interested to see how much it is when it comes to market.

#9 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:21 AM

Do note that promotive is not selling kits anymore.

Edited by iSonic, 05 January 2016 - 07:21 AM.

#10 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

Where did you hear that?

They posted here in November saying they'd taken a break but were now doing the kits again.

Just to keep everyone on here in the loop, Darren and I did take a few months off but we are now back up and running. We have a fresh batch of kits we are working through with most already sold. There is no plan to close down or shut up shop its just with full time jobs and families it can be very hard to find all the time required.
Anyway if you want a kit drop us a line through or website and we'll sort you out.

#11 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:50 AM

Oke my info is outdated...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users