Photo
- - - - -

Emilia - 1980 Hl Roundnose Project

roundnose

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: What colour? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

What Colour Should I Go?

1. Electric Blue (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

2. Gunmetal Grey (6 votes [26.09%])

Percentage of vote: 26.09%

3. Tweed Grey (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

4. Black (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

5. Cream (2 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

6. Speedwell Blue (9 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 maryquant

maryquant

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Local Club: minidesigner.co.uk

Posted 15 August 2015 - 07:05 PM

So the other day I was browsing Facebook and saw an ad for a eBay listing ending in a couple of hours. I put a low bid in thinking I would be outbid, but it turns out I won! Then the panic began as I had no way to sensibly transport the mini.... sensibly....

Here she is loaded in to the back of a MWB Renault Master - The gap between arches was about 2cm too small for it to drop down between, but we managed to prop underneath and it was fairly stable once strapped in.

IMG_1312.jpg

Here she is in her new home

IMG_1313.jpg

In general the shell isn't in too bad a condition, in fact the biggest problem areas are man made. The scuttle, A panels/posts, most of the boot floor and rear floor, quarters, steps etc are in usable condition. Here are some of the really bad bits.

Previous owner wanted to de-seam, but tried all over the car so lots to repair, centre at the back...

IMG_1314.jpg

Missing chunk of the roof

IMG_1317.jpg

All of the roof has bubbles of rust or holes around the edge

IMG_1319.jpg

And then this....

IMG_1320.jpg

Some loverly speaker holes  :angry:  :xxx:

IMG_1322.jpg

The de-seaming happened on the pillars a bit too

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

Scuttle and inner wings don't look too bad though

IMG_1326.jpg

Will be worth removing the bulkhead i think and de-rusting then re-fitting

IMG_1329.jpg

Inside is pretty good, there is no rust on the dash rails, window frame etc, floors at the back are solid. Front pans need replacing and the inner sill needs work.

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

I'm guessing it was on a spit too

IMG_1336.jpg

And a subframe and a load of other bits with the shell which was a bonus but by no means a complete car  :lol:

So that's the current state of it - time to get a pad and start thinking about what I want to do. Unlike Mary, with this project I have complete creative freedom so want to create something for me.

Edited by maryquant, 15 August 2015 - 07:12 PM.

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:35 AM

wow...

#3 ninham

ninham

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Local Club: Anglian Mini Club

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:13 AM

Love the welding, fort mine was bad to start off with.

Hope your going to reseam it again?

#4 maryquant

maryquant

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

wow...

Pretty incredible isn't it  :ohno:

Love the welding, fort mine was bad to start off with.

Hope your going to reseam it again?

Yeah I am, whilst I have nothing against the deseamed look and think it can look great I personally prefer seams.  May need to learn how to do a bit of fabrication as I don't really want to buy new panels if all I need is the seam.

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:52 PM

Look forward to seeing this one take shape.

It's good if you want to learn fabrication etc as you will need to do quite a bit of everything on this one.

Good luck!

Ben

#6 maryquant

maryquant

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

I want to use this to develop my skills before getting stuck into Mary properly. I just had a go at welding tonight and im really struggling so much more practice needed.

Having just spent a good half hour staring at it I think it may even be easier to take the roof off before trying to repair it - thoughts? lol

Ill post pics of my welding as soon as its ground down, fillered, painted and polished.  :D  :shy:

#7 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

I wouldn't try and repair the roof I would just replace it with a decent second hand roof they come up quite often.

#8 maryquant

maryquant

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 10:33 PM

I wouldn't try and repair the roof I would just replace it with a decent second hand roof they come up quite often.

Yeah would probably be easier - although i'm considering removing about 90% of the roof anyway for a sunroof. Will keep my eye open on the bay of E.

#9 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:43 AM

Good luck with the build it looks like it fitted nicely in the back of that van lol

#10 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:30 AM

Yeah would probably be easier - although i'm considering removing about 90% of the roof anyway for a sunroof. Will keep my eye open on the bay of E.

In that case, look out for a second hand roof.

By the time you chop you current one, only the rusty rotten bits will remain and the good bit in the bin :lol:

You will find that a used replacement roof will be much cheaper if it has the small sunroof hole in it because people don't tend to want them. ideal for you

#11 maryquant

maryquant

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:44 PM

Will keep an eye out for a cheap roof a bit nearer the time, since its getting replaced entirely now it can wait a bit.

I got a great big nothing done today as just about everything that could go wrong did. I was aiming for some welding practice this morning after getting a new torch liner, tips, shroud, gasless wire and managing to reverse the polarity on the machine.

I got a few trials done before it broke again - here is me testing a 1 second weld on Power 1 with different wire speeds. I was quite happy with 4 but damned if I could reproduce it later.

IMG_1361.jpg

This next pic is embarrassing but remember its my first go and I'm practicing. I could not replicate the #4 weld above for the life of me, all I wanted was a neat line of them but it wasn't happening. 

IMG_1367.jpg

Part of the problem could be related to the wire feed, as its pretty knackered. Its one of these...

IMG_1376.jpg

The feed roller needs replacing as the 0.8 side has worn from a serrated edge to almost smooth and no matter how much tension is on the roller it just cant grip enough to feed the wire reliably and smoothly.

Then it stopped working completely. There was no power at the feed motor and after digging out a multi-meter I traced the problem here...

IMG_1372.jpg

This had de-soldered itself completely. I'm not sure if it got too hot and the solder melted, or if it was just a really bad joint to begin with but the component was about 10mm away from the pcb. Luckily though it worked again after a quick re-solder. 

Im going to have another practice tomorrow (if nothing else breaks on it) and then start covering some of the exposed bare metal on the shell. Its almost entirely taken back to bare metal but since there is quite a bit of moisture in the barn I want to tickle it with a wirewheel and then zinc primer it until im ready to work on each panel.

IMG_1378.jpg

Edited by maryquant, 17 August 2015 - 09:48 PM.

#12 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:10 PM

If your welder can run gas, i would defiantly think about doing so.

It's so much easier and neater, especially for a beginner.

#13 maryquant

maryquant

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

Yeah it can, but I need to get everything for it - bottle & reg etc, which is another £150. 

From what I have seen from my dismantling of it over the last few days there is no method of controlling the gas flow during a weld, so its either always on or off which I think would mean the disposable bottles would last minutes.

What I probably should do is invest in a new welder with a guarantee and a course or two, but I'm a bit belligerent when it comes to getting this working for some reason and its getting a bit like triggers broom.

#14 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 11:42 PM

Once you sort the wire feed out, it should be fine. With practice and patience, you will produce tidy strong welds.

I have been welding for over 15 years and still have bad days where i blow holes all over the place or get scruffy looking welds.

As long as you get good penetration and the weld is strong, You can tidy everything up nice with a grinder after

#15 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:27 AM

Best advice I can give as a total noob myself is pulse weld. Over lap loads of tacks. If the settings are right and the metal clean. When you grind it back you have no idea at all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roundnose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users