7 replies to this topic

#1 AustinLeonardAutomotive

AustinLeonardAutomotive

Formerly IND00

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

Hello everybody!  So I finally picked up my Mini from 700 miles away, and I've just been enjoying it non-stop for the past week.  Over that week I've racked up a few "mini" problems that I'd like to sort.  I've already done thorough searches on the forum and results were inconclusive.  So heres a few problems I've had and I'm hoping you all could help me get to the bottom of them!

1) Occasionally my brake pedal feels fine and I have full braking power, but most of the time the pedal is very soft and I have to almost put it too the floor.  Even when I stomp it to the floor, I definitely don't have full braking force.  I was thinking that I may need to bleed the brakes, but sometimes they work great - Im just confused lol.

2)  (May be linked to #1)  My brake lights only come on when I put the pedal to the floor.  I did a lot of research on what the problem could be.  Cant be the bulbs because they come on if I mash it to the floor.  Cant be the fuse because the reverse lights work.  I came to the conclusion that I just had to adjust the brake sensor, but for the life of me I cannot find this sensor!  I may have a different sensor system than most?

Attached File  IMG_1251.JPG   81.13K   19 downloads

3)  The other night I was driving and when I got to a stop the floor started vibrating pretty good.  When I got going again everything was fine.  When I pulled into the driveway and stopped it started vibrating again.  I said screw it I'll figure it out in the morning.  The next morning comes by and boom - vibration gone.  Its been fine the past few days but sometimes I think I hear it while Im driving around town - maybe its just in my head now O_O .  Could it be a loose flywheel?  I really don't want to get into any real engine work as this is my daily driver.

4)  I have a few hoses that lead to nothing sitting in my engine bay.  The car originally had dual carbs, but the previous owner was having trouble syncing them so he switch to a single (I still have the second carb :shifty: ).  Since it now is only running one carb, there are a few hoses sitting around.  I was wondering what to do with them - plug them, leave them open, etc.  Theres also a hose ending in a bolt, that branches off a radiator line.  Just want to make sure they're not doing any harm.

Attached File  IMG_1250.JPG   63.44K   20 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1249.JPG   61.93K   17 downloads

I really appreciate all the help!  I know its a lot of text but hopefully they're easy fixes  :gimme: .

Thanks,
Austin

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:06 AM

It would elp if you told us the age and variant of mini being driven but it's likely that 1 and 2 are connected...

Minis of a certain age did not have an electric brake switch but one which ran off pressure in the brake line, if this is the case the switch is located on the top of the brake line junction on the RHS of the front subframe. Also it's likely that cars of this age have drum brakes all round and if badly adjusted then you will get the symptoms you are experiencing in problem number 1. If you pump the brake then you get a proper pedal and you'll find your brake lights work.

From subsequent pictures I see you have a split brake system, which may rule out some of the above.

The blocked off pipes are those which should be going to a heater which seems to have been disabled.

#3 ChopperHarris

ChopperHarris

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

Agree with above.

The vibration is unlikely to be the flywheel, more likely the exhaust fouling the floor/gearchange/subframe/rear valance

#4 ChopperHarris

ChopperHarris

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:53 AM

Incidentally, I'm not familiar with the white nylon looking stop that seems to limit the upper travel of the brake pedal?

Anyone?

#5 AustinLeonardAutomotive

AustinLeonardAutomotive

Formerly IND00

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:51 AM

Sorry, meant to include that. It's a 1975 Innocenti Mini 1300. It's got disks in the front and drums in the rear. Pumping the brakes seems to do nothing when it's spongy. They don't get any stiffer. This morning I almost got into a hairy situation after the car in front of me slammed their brakes. I listened to the noise last night and it sounds like it's coming from the clutch/flywheel area, and I sometimes hear a noise (sounds like kicking a tin can) when I shift. Thanks again for the help - I really appreciate it!

#6 corrado vr6

corrado vr6

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

If the brakes are that bad I would highly recommend NOT driving it anymore!

Maybe the rear drums need adjusting and a brake fluid change especially if you don't know the history of the car, the fluid should be changed every 3 years or so.

Edited by corrado vr6, 10 September 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#7 monkey

monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Local Club: Diss Mini Club

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:44 PM

If the brakes are that bad I would highly recommend NOT driving it .

I second that! Sounds pretty dangerous!

#8 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

Brake hoses should be checked. The nicest way is to buy the Goodridge Brake Hoses. With those you tip the brake and the car brakes immediately.

Brake pads, brake switch, drums etc should be carefully checked before driving again.

In our garage they measure the boiling point of brake fluid. The boiling point should not be lower than  360 Fahrenheit or 180 degree Celsius. Best is between 200 and 230 Celsius.   Because the lower the boiling point, the more water is in the brake fluid.- then brake pedal works like jelly.

Edited by Alpenflitzer, 12 September 2015 - 02:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users