1 reply to this topic

#1 jle_96

jle_96

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:06 PM

Hi guys, got a '89 Mayfair. The issue started when I went to put the car into gear and the clutch pedal went straight to the floor. I checked the fluid and it was fine, so I cracked off the line to the slave cylinder from the top of the master cylinder and was getting no fluid when pressing the pedal. I assumed this meant the seals were failing in the master cylinder so I rebuild it with new seals, built it back up and I'm still getting the same issue. No pressure from the master cylinder. Now I'm aware that the system needs bleeding but I'm not aware of how to do this. How can I get fluid to move through the cylinder and start pumping?

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:56 PM

I agree with the test method you used.  To bleed a system that has been opened and has a new master I would proceed as follows.

1. Fill the master's reservoir with fluid.  Leave the top off the reservoir.
  2. Crack the pipe connection to the master as you did before.  (Loosen the fitting 2 turns or even take it completely out).
  3. Slowly push the pedal down and watch for fluid to come out.  Repeat a few times until you see fluid come out of the port.
  4. Re-tighten the pipe and top up the reservoir.
  5. Fit a clear hose to the slave bleed nipple.  Place the end of the hose in a small catch jar.
  6. Have an assistant help you for the next steps.
  7. Crack the bleed nipple open 1/2 turn.
  8. Call "Down" to your assistant and have them SLOWLY push the clutch pedal down.
  9. When the pedal is all the way down, they hold the pedal on the floor and call back... "Down".
  10. You close the bleed nipple and call "Release" to the assistant who then lets the pedal up.
  11. When the pedal is up they call back "Release".
  12. Repeat this pedal and bleed nipple sequence until you no longer see bubbles coming out of the plastic tube attached to the bleed nipple.

Keep your eye on the level of fluid in the reservoir.  Do not let the fluid level get low or you will have to start all over again.  When done, rinse off any and all brake fluid that was spilled or leaked.  In particular, don't leave it on painted surfaces.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users