28 replies to this topic

#1 minivan2007

minivan2007

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:27 PM

Which shocks would people recommend, is quantum the best ?

#2 inim_repooc

inim_repooc

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: not part of one

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:57 AM

shock absorbers? I now swear by the KYB Gas-adjust ones - they are an uprated shock in capability - the self adjust as you go so that you get a nice comfy ride on the straights and they then stiffen up when you load them up in a corner. mini spares have been selling a set of 4 (2 front 2 back) for a really good price recently, around £100 - I wouldn't personally splash out on the higher end ones, many have had both and overall prefer the kyb ones.

#3 driftz

driftz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:57 AM

I was interested in the same question. I run the gas-a-justs on my mini, and they ride very well for the price. I have had them on my last 3 cars and they have always performed very well on the street.  However I have Koni 2812's on my CRX, and I can say that there is a big jump in ride control when you go up to a more serious shock. On my CRX I am able to run 600lbs/in springs in the rear and still maintain a comfortable and compliant ride on the street. That wouldn't be possible with a lesser shock.

Has anyone dyno'ed a quantum setup. I'm very curious on how the valving is setup for the variable rate of the mini cones?

There doesn't seem to be too many options for the more serious suspension nerds (like myself). I have toyed with the idea of approaching a few well known shock builder to make a bespoke mini street/track setup that was on a higher performance level than is currently available, wondering what the interest would be in such a product? #threadjack

#4 charliebudd

charliebudd

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

It depends what you are doing? Road/Race/Rally

a lot of the mini miglia guys run, qunatams or Ohlins.

I race a mini 7 and have run both Avo & Pro Tech. the pro techs have been absolutely brilliant, and the customer service is excellent and instead of thousands of pounds for ohlins etc.. i think the pro techs are about 70 pound each. 

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:04 PM

What is the motorsport discipline?

For example, if racing Koni make a great damper which is softer on bump than on rebound. That makes it ideal for racing on smooth tracks. It can be more difficult to adjust, but once set it is fine.

However, that is useless on a rally car where stiffness on bump is more important and SPAX and GAZ are good for the price and adjustment for tarmac or forest/gravel is quick & easy.

For pure tarmac, Bilstein are excellent, but on a Mini a bit stiff for gravel as they are not adjustable, but they are very strong.

If doing forest/gravel rallies it is wise to strengthen the top mounting bracket.

#6 Itsjustanestate

Itsjustanestate

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:10 PM

I ran SPAX for many years on rallies in 80s and 90s and found them quick to adjust and more than up to the job but not tried any of the newer dampers so interested in what recommendation you get.

#7 minivan2007

minivan2007

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:30 PM

Will be circuit and track racing , what would be best for mini 7s as its my 1st track car build before I take the seerious plunge into historic racing just want to build a competitive car first see how that goes

#8 b_sdaddy

b_sdaddy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:52 PM

shock absorbers? I now swear by the KYB Gas-adjust ones - they are an uprated shock in capability - the self adjust as you go so that you get a nice comfy ride on the straights and they then stiffen up when you load them up in a corner. mini spares have been selling a set of 4 (2 front 2 back) for a really good price recently, around £100 - I wouldn't personally splash out on the higher end ones, many have had both and overall prefer the kyb ones.

Can you pls give me a part number..

And just to check, I have a completely std. 998 Mk4 (1978) on 10's. IF and when I need to replace the shocks, would these be over-kill.? Have no plans to increase engine spec. but for the price difference, would be prepared to buy a highter spec'd shock if it performed as such.

If it is over-kill then I'd obviously stick to the std. shocks

cheers

#9 inim_repooc

inim_repooc

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local Club: not part of one

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

Has anyone dyno'ed a quantum setup. I'm very curious on how the valving is setup for the variable rate of the mini cones?

I'm not certain, but I thought mini cones are pretty linear?

#10 driftz

driftz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

not from my understanding

"Measured at the wheel, the spring rates at the static load position are 118 lb/in at the front and 98 lb/in at the rear. With three passengers and 50 lb of luggage, the loads per wheel at the same position are respectively 468 lb and 355 lb. These loads rise to 1,050 lb and 670 lb at full bump and fall to 240 lb and 100 lb when the rebound check is in operation."

that's why spring rate is not listed when buying cones, as the rate differs depending on position as well as the shape of the trumpet being used.

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:36 PM

The Mini rubber suspension cone is a true rising rate spring.

For circuit racing with just the driver and minimum weight, the initial cone rate can be a little low, leading to initial roll as a corner is entered. To counteract this coil springs can be useful with a higher single rate. After all, a race circuit is very smooth and the high rate coils will keep the car stable as ensure best steering response and good 'turn-in'.

Some formulae require original suspension set-up with the rubber cone springs, although the actual rubber can be changed for the competition version and the dampers are free so long as they mount in the original manner. You need to read the regulations. if you do fit the coil springs for racing, don't buy the ones offered by the normal vendors, talk to the experts in the racing scene and buy from a reputable company like Coil Springs (Sheffield) Ltd.

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:46 PM

not from my understanding

"Measured at the wheel, the spring rates at the static load position are 118 lb/in at the front and 98 lb/in at the rear. With three passengers and 50 lb of luggage, the loads per wheel at the same position are respectively 468 lb and 355 lb. These loads rise to 1,050 lb and 670 lb at full bump and fall to 240 lb and 100 lb when the rebound check is in operation."

that's why spring rate is not listed when buying cones, as the rate differs depending on position as well as the shape of the trumpet being used.
Interesting numbers good to see that some one has made some measurements.

#13 driftz

driftz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:28 AM

I have searched and searched but I cant seem to find anyone that's actually measured the cones rate, either off the car or at the wheels through the suspension arc. I may eventually stick a cone/trumped on my press and on a scale to measure spring rate though its deflection. One could then plot the rising rate at the wheel.

I would be interested to see what the ride frequency is. The mini is in an interesting case for dampers, as everyone (almost) is using the same springs, so a lot of the roll/dive control, coming from an increase in compression resistance, is being made by the dampers. Also according to the numbers posted above, the cones provide more compression resistance than rebound, making me think that there would be some interesting shock valveing.

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:25 AM

MokeSpider has done some testing and has put a graph up on here.

Don't forget that the shape of both the lip on the cone and the shape of the donut effect the spring rate.

Donuts were frozen and then machined to change the contact profile and hence the spring rate. Al alternative was to drill holes in them.

This was how the kit car makers that put the power unit in the rear changed the spring rate in the now empty front subframe.

Some even went as far as making replacement cones to set the new required ride height. The original Cox GTM came with sheet steel cones!

#15 driftz

driftz

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:38 PM

MokeSpider has done some testing and has put a graph up on here.

Don't forget that the shape of both the lip on the cone and the shape of the donut effect the spring rate.

Donuts were frozen and then machined to change the contact profile and hence the spring rate. Al alternative was to drill holes in them.

This was how the kit car makers that put the power unit in the rear changed the spring rate in the now empty front subframe.

Some even went as far as making replacement cones to set the new required ride height. The original Cox GTM came with sheet steel cones!

oh that's interesting. Would someone be able to post up the link to his findings?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users