#1 andrugushu

andrugushu

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:29 AM

Good morning,

After driving a '02 new MINI for a long time, I have finally decided to make the big change and buy the Classic MINI.

Here is my 1981 Austin MINI 1.0 whose name is TED (because he is red). A few pictures below.

I have purchased the car 2 weeks ago from its 5th owner, at a price of £1,500.00. TED has successfully completed 350 miles already.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks very much all, really looking forward to seeing your replies.

Andre

Attached Files

Edited by andrugushu, 30 December 2015 - 09:20 PM.

#2 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

Welcome to TMF :) Tidy looking mini. Do you know if any body work was done by the previous owners?

#3 andrugushu

andrugushu

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:35 AM

I plan on doing a complete de-rust and a full respray, but budget is critical. Even though it's going to be tough, I really want to finish this project, no matter how long it will take.

Edited by andrugushu, 30 December 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#4 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

Probably a good idea to do the bodywork as well with the engine out of the car. It probably won't be cheap though. Especially if you want the work to be done well. 

#5 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:44 PM

Welcome to the forum Andre, as has been said as you have a gearbox problem and body work issues it may be wise to have the gearbox done and whilst the engine is out some if not all of the body work. Personal message (PM) John on here, goes under the name of Guessworks, I would say he is the go to guy for gearboxes and if it is not practical for him to do the work I am sure he will give recommendations and advice. Depending on the amount of bodywork/Respray needed and off course you have some idea of the gearbox costs it may be wise to try and hold of work until the spring so that you can budget better and of course miss out the winter weather

#6 andrugushu

andrugushu

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

As advised, I have called John at Guessworks to book in my car on the 28 November. He quoted a flat rate for fixing the gearbox (less than half of what Tony at London MINI Centre quoted) + only £50 for a full service.

Thank you so much for your advice. I shall keep you posted.

#7 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

Good news, glad to be of some help. That's what this forum is all about. If an individual does not know the answer they will probably know who does. Hope the future bodywork and Respray go well

#8 andrugushu

andrugushu

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 08:47 AM

Hello,

I did not manage to go to John at Guessworks, the water pump has a crack now and I cannot drive the car anymore.

I have chosen a set of spares (see attached) and I will send the car outside the country for a full body work restoration in addition the the required mechanical work.

Attached Files

#9 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:43 AM

Looks good, the water pump is pretty easy to replace. the parts above look good except the sills, they are oversills. if you've already bought them then ask the person welding them on to cut them in half to create normal open sills.

#10 andrugushu

andrugushu

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for your reply. I haven't bought them yet, I am still thinking if I should add anything else before placing the order.

I plan on shipping the car early January (it costs me around £700 round trip). I want to send it with all the necessary parts.

The water pump will put it back on the road but I was quoted £300 for the replacement here in London, so I would much rather prefer to save that money and spend it on the shipping.

I am still thinking if I should add the 4 x spot lamps to the cart or not. I am also thinking if I should ask my mechanic to paint the roof and the stripes in white or not.

Any suggestion welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users