5 replies to this topic

#1 Slatersmini

Slatersmini

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

We purchased new in 1993 a Nightfire Red Rover Mini Cabriolet which is now on 37,000 miles and  although looking great, has all the usual rust spots as well as more hiding under the fibreglass skirts and arches ( known areas are: drivers footwell, both sills, boot floor, A frame around window and next to wipers, below headlights, bubble of rust on front of bonnet by trim and around boot lock . The soft top roof has two small rips which are repaired and the car water tight from above!, however roof is sagging and worn on edges where door/windows brush against it hence it needs a re-cover.

I am looking for advice and rough budget for getting this fixed properly (e.g. strip the car , replace panels blast  and repaint , replace everything rubber on rebuild, check cabriolet hood mechanism and adjust. We are down in Cornwall the car is due MOT 26th November however it is running great so really looking for a place to get it fixed over comming months. Would like to hear circa £5-6000 budget, sorry but I dont do any mechanics or bodywork just enjoy having and driving Mini's. Have been wondering if I go for full dogs ******* restoration or sell as a project???

Any input will be appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 jpw1275

jpw1275

Up Into Fourth

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Local Club: I'm a carb addict!!!!!!!

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

To be honest I think most people don't have a clue about bodywork and mechanics when they buy mini's and that's the whole fun part in learning ..... I would atleadt have a go restoring it yourself first , I hadn't welded before until I got a mini and now I'm doing a full blown restoration

Cheers james

#3 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:08 PM

think with labour your gonna be heading towards 8k if it needs a roof and a repaint if you dont do any work

#4 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:22 PM

I think you would be fairly safe in your £5000/£6000 budget. 

I did a '63 Crayford earlier this year which totalled 120 hours of metal work so £3600 at £30 an hour. That entailed replace the entire floor front to rear, new inner wings, full front, rear panel and one rear quarter.

I think the body prep and paint was £2900 inc materials as it was non metalic. 

Given your list I'd imagine metal work would be a max of 60hrs providing it doesn't need to front for scuttle replacing so £1800 at £30 an hour. 

Body prep and paint should be £3000 plus depending on how straight the car is and just how shinny you want it. 

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:45 PM

Must be a few quid fort the panels though Tupers?

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:52 PM

Panels can either be cheap or expensive, it really does depend on what you want. 

Panels alone for my Clubby have cost me over £2.5k so that is something to factor in. The biggest problem with any resto is what you don't see. I have gone overboard with my car but that is my choice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users