#1 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 07:30 AM

-

Edited by iSonic, 29 July 2016 - 09:42 AM.

#2 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:42 AM

I am now preparing the engine so I can put it in the frame. I do have two questions:

How can the feeling of braking be improved? Currenlty using a default setup with minisport 4 pot calipers. 

Thinking about a flip front but hear a lot of negative things about how it will fit, wobling and not looking as good as a a real front. What is your opinion?

#3 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

looks a sexy bit of kit you have there!

#4 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

I went for carbon fibre removable front end and it made certain jobs so much easier. Im sure a metal front would still work out OK but for complete unobstructed access you cant go wrong with a lift away front end.

They fit as good as the time you're prepared to put in. No reason for one to look worse compared to all metal and ive not had issues with mine - feels very strong and is mounted and secured well.

Admittedly I didn't fit mine - left that all important job to the bodyshop

#5 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

Any idea which brand of flip front you have? Does quality (stiffness) differs a lot per brand?

#6 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

Curley carbon front. It is excellent quality compared to the first one I bought from a company I can't remember.
Don't buy cheap carbon fibre parts.

Have you thought of having the front open like the clam shell design rather than flipping forward. Better access to the engine without the need to unbolt anything

#7 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:14 AM

Spent an hour yesterday trying to get the engine in the frame  :bah:  and then realised the angle it was hanging in the engine hoist was quitte different then the last time I tried.  Since it was late I will try again tonight. 

@racerlike I am not totally convinced about a flip front yet. I like the look flipping forward better but the otherway around seems handier. Are there any hinges for sale for flipping backwards?

#8 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

Found this site for clamshell type front end.
http://www.paulprest...stom-build.html

I thought there was a company that made the hinges/struts for this type of front end arrangement but couldn't find anything else. Maybe its more of a custom job.

#9 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Found this one:

http://www.superfast...d_hinge_kit.htm

If anyone has tips as to how to get the reverse gearbox in place, please let me know!!!

Edited by iSonic, 09 March 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#10 blunder

blunder

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:22 AM

It's a bit of a wiggle and a jiggle to get the gearbox in place but it does go in!

#11 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

And the suggestion in the manual to first fit the bottom bolt and nut and then tilt the frame backwards is the way to go? My engine only slides backwards about half an inch because it is stuck against the differential!? Will try again tonight...

#12 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

No luck getting the reverse gearbox in.... The manual says to lift the whole frame up on the front so the engine will tilt back slightly. But the engine won't tilt back because it is stuck on the dif....  OUt of ideas for now. Any suggestions?

#13 iSonic

iSonic

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:29 AM

Any people here experience with this http://www.obpltd.co...-Clutch-OBP0311 pedalbox? Will it make a difference braking wise?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users