#1 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:37 AM

Some Muppet damaged by mini yesterday night. Needs a new wing,bumper, poss front end and bonnet. Suspension doesn't look clever either.

The other guy is bang to rights and admits fault. If this were the daily golf I'd leave my insurers to sort and not be concerned. My concern is that the repair may be deemed uneconomic and I need to avoid that.

Anyone had similar issues? I'm thinking to inform Adrian flux what's happened but tell them that I'll only claim on policy if I have to and then claim direct from the other blokes insurers. Essentially what I want is cash to arrange my own repair with someone I trust, not a repair from someone on an insurers panel who'll throw patern panels on it.

Any thoughts on the best approach.

Car is (or was) very tidy but has an insured value of 2500 which us light for a 1981 44k mile car.

Thanks in advance.

#2 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:45 AM

Moved to insurance sub forum

#3 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:19 AM

Depends partly on the small print of your policy. Do you have protected no claims? Even if you don't inform your insurer but the other party informs his, it could then be recorded as a loss against your vehicle. Insurers do swap claims details. The other party may deny responsibility at a later date and claim against you. I'd be inclined to discuss it with your insurer, but I do understand your predicament with the agreed value being what it is.

Edited by MatthewsDad, 08 July 2016 - 09:12 AM.

#4 Van13

Van13

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Local Club: Unknown

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:19 AM

Personally just let claim go through buy your car back then you have full control over repairs.
Yes the car will be a cat c or d just do what I do when repairing them take photos of damage and repairs for if you want to sell the car
End of day it's a mini

#5 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:24 AM

Cheers guys. It need a front end, bonnet, wing , a panel and bumper. Poss a bit more. I'll see what his insurers want to do but will notify mine and see where it goes.

#6 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

Sorry to hear. Thankfully I have never had to deal with a claim, but hopefully you get it all sorted out without much hassle :)

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

There's nothing to stop you claiming directly off the other driver's insurance - it's what you'd do if you only had 3rd party cover. The potential pitfall is if the other party fails to cough up and you have to go back to your own insurers. No claims discount is exactly that, you'd only lose it for making a claim on your insurance. Though you are obliged to disclose the accident and it will affect your renewal premium.

The other driver admitting error at the scene doesn't make them liable, gather all the evidence you can of what happened.

#8 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:46 AM

What I would try and do is work out how much it will cost to repair your self with heritage panels, paint labour ect and then speak to the insurance company and tell them the price it will cost. This is likely going to be far less than any approved insurance garage and you know the work will be carried out correctly ( especially if you want to do it yourself). Although ive never done it ive know insurance companies to agree to deals like this and simply pay out with little to no questions asked to get the claim closed quickly and with minimal financial impact to themselves and no markers on your car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users