#1 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:41 PM

Is/was this a common swap back in the day? Seems like a no brainer, 5 speed gearbox, overhead cam 1.8 liter motor that made 90 hp.....if it fits at all.

Reason I ask is that a guy has one that was poorly done that he wants fixed up, including replacing the poorly made fiberglass flip front end with metal.

Anyone have any pics of one they know about that was done?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:47 PM

yes it was done.

but was not good as it was such a heavy lump.

#3 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

A 1750 maxi lump is a fair weight, although I remember it being talked of never saw one myself in the flesh

FS

#4 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:53 PM

I drove a scrap heap type creation - not road legal , years ago

was very nose heavy , not much ground clearance as I recall

I think there was a problem with overheating ? & exhaust was rubbing on bulk head - it went like stink - in a straight line

probably all fixable , but I should imagine there are better choices out there

also I think the cam cover was in a cutout in the bonnet -I think a scoop went over it 

it was a long time ago & my memory is poor

but if that is what you want - best of luck , hope it works out

Edited by sledgehammer, 10 August 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#5 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:41 PM

It's not what I want, it's what this fellow has already......I haven't seen the car yet, just heard about it.

I know there are many engines today that would be a better choice, make more power and be more efficient.....but this was done back in the 80's I think....

The Maxi was never sold over here in the States, so we never had them as a source......

Edited by Magneto, 10 August 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:03 PM

The problems we had back them was the weight of the power unit.

Adding a coil over kit could help but would make it harsh.

It really depends on how much cash he wants to throw at it the engine gas limited potential.

My choice would be to convert it back to A series.

#7 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

A few pics of the car, remember - I didn't do this! :proud:

#8 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:32 PM

by the way, do any MGB parts work on this engine, manifolds for instance? I wonder also if this cylinder head could be adapted to fit an MGB block? He says he has a couple of these engines he'd like to sell.

Like I said, these were never sold in the US so I've never seen one up close......

Edited by Magneto, 11 August 2016 - 04:35 PM.

#9 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

Wonder why this thread didn't show up when I did a search, I found it thru Google.....

http://www.theminifo...engine-gearbox/

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

could do with one of the ABS Motorsport extended fronts on it then he could run a front mounted radiator.

#11 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

He says he wants to go back to a metal front end.....

#12 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:38 AM

MGB pats will not fit as the engines are totally different. However, there was another conversion done with a B series engine and box from an 1800 "Land Crab", and on those MGB tuning parts do work. I have seen one at an exhibition in Glasgow over 40 years ago. The company concerned was also selling a Ford crossflow to A series (or was it 1800?) transmission conversion, which of course had fair potential.

Someone else at the same exhibition had a Rover V8 on a Landcrab transmission, and suggested that it might be squeezed into a Mini. I doubt it, but at least the weight might be tolerable, the ali V8 being light for its size. It would probably go, with extreme difficulty, in an 1100/1300 which are much wider and have a longer nose.

I definitely am in favour of this Mini being fitted with a proper steel front. Much safer.

There are subsequent BL engines that were derived from the Maxi E series engine. The R series, 1600cc only, was used in the Maestro and was not very reliable. Then came the greatly improved S series, however both R and S used an end-on transmission rather than in the sump, and as such are probably too wide for a Mini.

Then of course came the excellent, if properly maintained, K series, and there is plenty of proof on this forum that they can be fitted to a Mini, with some difficulty. It might be better to rebuild this one with a K series, which would solve the weight problem.

#13 McMini 22

McMini 22

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:25 PM

Mini engine conversions are generally undertaken for 3 reasons (or any combination)-
more power
more reliable
better mpg

As mentioned there are engines that tick the boxes better than a maxi engine.

Unless there are any historic or sentimental reasons to keep the maxi engine my preference would be a different engine. You could probably sell the maxi engine. There must be a club for them and they were a decent car in their day. Seats fold flat to make a bed and they had a decent amount of room in them.

My dad still has a land crab but it's the 2200cc version. You could have a party in the back of that as there us so much leg room. I remember going on holiday in it as a kid.
I often wondered if it was worthy of an engine conversion.

#14 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:06 AM

The landcrab, if you ever find a decent one nowadays, may indeed be worthy of an engine conversion. After all, it is only a great big Mini! How about the 200PS turbodiesel from an S-Max? My older S-Max only has 175PS, but it is still a fair old amount of power, and driveshaft-snapping 420Nm of torque...

No idea if it would fit, of course. Possibly easier in a Maxi. The landcrab has a large and vital crossmember in an awkward place if I remember correctly, because of its unique suspension.

#15 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:36 AM

Is the "Landcrab" the Austin Maxi? Remember, those were never sold over here so the concept of using this engine in something else really doesn't exist, and I doubt it's cost effective to send them back across the pond.

How much heavier than a Mini engine were they? I think a Mini is about 325lbs.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users