15 replies to this topic

#1 jake

jake

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:33 PM

i have a 1989 austin mini, which has two red lights on the dashboard next to the dials, what do they mean because the one on the left is often on red but i dont no what it means? also does anyone no what the one on the right means?
thanks

#2 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:39 PM

the one on the left is the alternator and the one on the right which should be orange is the oil pressure

#3 jake

jake

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:53 PM

the one on the left is the alternator and the one on the right which should be orange is the oil pressure

wel the one on the left comes on, what does this mean?

#4 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 07:58 PM

when does it come on?

#5 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:01 PM

they should both come on with the ignition and go out on start up. If neither goes out you have a problem with the alternator and oil pressure. But thats unlikely, how long have you had the car?

#6 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

Well, it should come on when you switch the ignition on. But it should go out when you fire up the engine. If it stays on, the first conclusion is that the alternator isn't charging, so eventually the battery will go flat. Is the fanbelt tight enough?

#7 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

problem with alternator could just be fan belt but it would probably make a noise

#8 jake

jake

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

they should both come on with the ignition and go out on start up. If neither goes out you have a problem with the alternator and oil pressure. But thats unlikely, how long have you had the car?

havnt had car long, the left one comes on sometimes when i am driving along.

#9 helix

helix

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: Bournemouth Mini Club

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:05 PM

havnt had car long, the left one comes on sometimes when i am driving along.

I would have to say you should get an oil change asap, especially as you have not ahd the car long - no telling how long it has been before you got it

#10 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

That suggests you have an alternator problem :proud:

Check if your battery is charging by putting a multimeter across the battery
with the engine running. It should read about 13-14v I think.

#11 jake

jake

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:11 PM

That suggests you have an alternator problem :proud:

Check if your battery is charging by putting a multimeter across the battery
with the engine running. It should read about 13-14v I think.

i have just had the oil changed...
but as someone said the fan belt would be making a noise, which it does, does something need to be changed in relation to the fan belt?

#12 m3ntalist

m3ntalist

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:21 PM

tighten it up

#13 jake

jake

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:23 PM

tighten it up

cheers will do

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:07 AM

OK, the red light IS NOT the alternator, is the charging system light, which means anything from the alternator, to a bad earth, etc.

As said, both lights should come on after you turn the key to position 2 I believe, then both should go out once the engine has started.

Don't go and tighten your fan belt just for the hell of it, you need to check that its loose first! You should be able to press the fan/alternator belt down about 1/4", or there should be 1/2" deflection from the point at which you can pull it up, to the point to which you can push it down. If your belt goes beyond these limits then you should tighten it up.

If not, your red light staying on problem lies elsewhere, this could also be caused by a bad earth, or the actual alternator itself on its way out...

#15 jake

jake

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:12 PM

OK, the red light IS NOT the alternator, is the charging system light, which means anything from the alternator, to a bad earth, etc.

As said, both lights should come on after you turn the key to position 2 I believe, then both should go out once the engine has started.

Don't go and tighten your fan belt just for the hell of it, you need to check that its loose first! You should be able to press the fan/alternator belt down about 1/4", or there should be 1/2" deflection from the point at which you can pull it up, to the point to which you can push it down. If your belt goes beyond these limits then you should tighten it up.

If not, your red light staying on problem lies elsewhere, this could also be caused by a bad earth, or the actual alternator itself on its way out...

ye but my fan belt screams sometimes to suggest that it is slippng, does then not suggest that it needs tightening?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users