JPN173

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:08 PM

hello "enthusiasts"

i am at that unfortunate age of 17 with trying to get insurance

luckily its only a 1984 998 with "small" modifications (minispares stage 1 and sportpack wheels and arches)

unfortunately its going through a restoration (i'm impatient and want to get it done as soon as possible) but this is buying me time to get funds for insurance. luckily i was able to speak to footman james at the mini fair this previous Sunday.

good points:

• be honest about mods
  • don't install a roll cage
  • don't do an engine swap
  • footman james will insure me after a year with a license 
  • classic car insurance is significantly cheaper when your my age 

bad points

• i have to wait a year to be insured by footman james
  • limited to 3,000 miles a year
  • no "NCB" (no claims bonus)
  • still crazy money to insure
  • i still need to find insurance between here and now

so my question is, is adrian flux good to insure with for the first car even its not a mini?

(may have to get another car in the mean time of restoration)

secondly is there any other insurance companies you guys can suggest?

thirdly im sure i have forgotten some questions so i will update this page 

more over if i have missed anything out let me know

Thanks #litreoffun

#2 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:19 PM

I insured with Admiral when I drove my Mini for my first car, as a 17 year old. Cost me just over £1500 on a classic car policy for a standard 1275 SPi. At our age, most mods put the premium up loads. A stage 1 kit, wheels and arches will probably add £500 on.. at least. 

With my Golf, I'm insured with Hastings. It's a 1.6, I have 1 years NCB and its costing me £740 for the year, very reasonable imo. By all means give Adrian Flux a try, I did for the Golf and they came back with just shy of £3k. They're good for some, not for others. Adrian Flux and HIC are sister companies (as are Admiral, Elephant and Diamond) so you're unlikely to get it much cheaper between them. 

Best thing when looking for insurance is shop around, stick some voluntary excess on there and play around with the options on comparison sites. Stick any parents/relatives on with decent amount of NCB as named drivers, normally brings it down. I find compare the market good to get a general quote to work with (remember to uncheck all the contact options to save yourself from getting loads of emails and phone calls!).

Hope that helps,

Cam.

Edited by RooBoonix, 31 January 2017 - 11:20 PM.

#3 DJS911

DJS911

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

Don't know if it helps at all but as a family we have a multi car policy with Admiral. Each of us have a policy in our own name but they come under one account.
My wife and I are in our 50's with full NCB (now there's tempting fate by saying that!) but when my daughter passed her test last year at the age of 18 she "only" paid c£900 for a full years comprehensive insurance for her VW Lupo in her name. As mentioned by a previous poster both my wife and I are down as named drivers.
We do have a low risk post code and my daughter's car is kept on the driveway at night.

#4 JPN173

JPN173

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

I insured with Admiral when I drove my Mini for my first car, as a 17 year old. Cost me just over £1500 on a classic car policy for a standard 1275 SPi. At our age, most mods put the premium up loads. A stage 1 kit, wheels and arches will probably add £500 on.. at least. 

With my Golf, I'm insured with Hastings. It's a 1.6, I have 1 years NCB and its costing me £740 for the year, very reasonable imo. By all means give Adrian Flux a try, I did for the Golf and they came back with just shy of £3k. They're good for some, not for others. Adrian Flux and HIC are sister companies (as are Admiral, Elephant and Diamond) so you're unlikely to get it much cheaper between them. 

Best thing when looking for insurance is shop around, stick some voluntary excess on there and play around with the options on comparison sites. Stick any parents/relatives on with decent amount of NCB as named drivers, normally brings it down. I find compare the market good to get a general quote to work with (remember to uncheck all the contact options to save yourself from getting loads of emails and phone calls!).

Hope that helps,

Cam.

Don't know if it helps at all but as a family we have a multi car policy with Admiral. Each of us have a policy in our own name but they come under one account.
My wife and I are in our 50's with full NCB (now there's tempting fate by saying that!) but when my daughter passed her test last year at the age of 18 she "only" paid c£900 for a full years comprehensive insurance for her VW Lupo in her name. As mentioned by a previous poster both my wife and I are down as named drivers.
We do have a low risk post code and my daughter's car is kept on the driveway at night.

thank you guys for the information, it would be lovely to pay £900 for insurance :)

i will likely be paying close to £2800 if its on the mini however hopefully by calling the insurer's themselves instead i may be able to lower that awful cost.

i have also heard that having the car on the driveway or on the road is cheaper than the garage 

#5 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

Hope that helps,

Cam.

thank you guys for the information, it would be lovely to pay £900 for insurance :)

i will likely be paying close to £2800 if its on the mini however hopefully by calling the insurer's themselves instead i may be able to lower that awful cost.

i have also heard that having the car on the driveway or on the road is cheaper than the garage 

I found parking it on the road was cheaper than on my driveway  :lol:

#6 DJS911

DJS911

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:57 PM

Am I missing something here?
Surely a car parked on a drive would be a lower risk than one parked on the street?

#7 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:47 AM

Am I missing something here?
Surely a car parked on a drive would be a lower risk than one parked on the street?

I know.. I have no idea how it works but it bought my insurance down by about £10. It must be due to the amount of claims where people say their car is parked on the drive compared to the number with it parked on the road? I don't know, also if you increase the value of your car it brought mine down. (Don't go silly with that one though).

These changes aren't much but they all help!

#8 JPN173

JPN173

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:47 PM

hello all.... again

ok after doing plenty of researching and crying with the quotes.

in addition theres other factors that ive been having to think about such as pass plus and potentially moving  O_O

which is amazing theres a price difference of £500 to £2,000! which is crazy to me but also good for me

out of all the cars that i got quotes for (6 different types from 1.1 peugeot 106 to corsas and clios)

the mini was the cheapest! by nearly £500 so i can argue why i want the mini to be the 1st however it would be sensible to experience in a different car just incase

i valued the mini at £6k which could be a tad ambitious but i have been quoted £1300  ;D  which is amazing but that is with a black box and 4,000 miles 

if theres any questions or corrections please enter it down below 

thanks #litreoffun

#9 Bradchap

Bradchap

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

Hi #litre of fun, My son will be looking to insure his 1st mini soon when hes 17, who offered the best deal in the end and did that include the stage 1 kit? Regards

#10 JPN173

JPN173

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

Hi #litre of fun, My son will be looking to insure his 1st mini soon when hes 17, who offered the best deal in the end and did that include the stage 1 kit? Regards

hi brad

ill be honest i forgot about the stage 1 kit... unfortunately it does change the price. 

the company was "my policy" ill be honest that i have not heard of them before

the comparison site that i used was go compare classic car insurance 

thanks 

#11 JPN173

JPN173

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:16 PM

ok... probably my final update to this subject / saga 

the bodyshop promised the car will be back a week ago and progress hasnt even started yet so the mini is no longer going to be the car i shall be driving which has fked my chances of showing it this year. im personally frustrated with this however i can go on all day how in fantasy land the mini would of been prefect if it was done now and ive learnt my lesson... only take on certain aspects of the project that you can control unfortunately bodywork is really the only one i cannot do... anyway im rambling now.

so after many hours researching i have found a correlation when it comes to insurance quotes (please bare in mind these have been done in the chelmsford area)

2006 + polo costs about £2k to purchase but £1k to insure... so we are roughly saying that its about £3k

2006 + corsa costs around £1.5 to buy and around £1.4 to insure.... £2.9k

2004 + astra costs around £1.6k and £1.2k to insure.... £2.8k

BUT IF THE MINI WAS DONE IT WOULD ONLY BE COSTING £1.3k... so yes for people who want to do a project and you are young make sure that you are able to control the project as much as you can....

and yes im aware of that i need to spend quite a bit of money to complete the mini but that is now along side of the costs of running a main car

i hope this helps at least one person 

#litreoffun signing off

and if theres any questions ask down below or ask me on instagram (quicker response)

#12 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

Out of interest, if the car you are looking at getting now is only a temporary measure.. why are you looking at such expensive cars? My MK4 Golf 1.6 only cost me £875, plus there are loads of other cars out there at similar prices (older Polos, Seat Ibiza's etc..), the cost of the insurance probably won't go down much but the cost of the car certainly can imo.

I don't see the point in spending alot on a car when it's only a temp measure, insurance I know is unavoidable really.. something like my MK4 was perfect for me, plus I doubt I'll lose much money on it when I sell it. If any..

#13 JPN173

JPN173

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

Out of interest, if the car you are looking at getting now is only a temporary measure.. why are you looking at such expensive cars? My MK4 Golf 1.6 only cost me £875, plus there are loads of other cars out there at similar prices (older Polos, Seat Ibiza's etc..), the cost of the insurance probably won't go down much but the cost of the car certainly can imo.

I don't see the point in spending alot on a car when it's only a temp measure, insurance I know is unavoidable really.. something like my MK4 was perfect for me, plus I doubt I'll lose much money on it when I sell it. If any..

welcome back ;)

to answer your question i have just done a couple of quotes on "cheap first" cars such as an old corsa © and a old polo.... they both want close to £2k to insure i believe its due to the age and the value...

if a car is older than 13 years lets say they want close or even more than double than a newer car which is funny as the newer cars have a higher value aswell

for example a 2003 corsa c is £800 to purchase but insurance wants £1.8k to insure 

however as said earlier i can get a newer corsa insured for around 1.4 average and the you can find the newer corsas for around £1400

so im actually watching my short list of cars to see if a gem pops up.... 

2006 + polo's are good as you can probably find a bargin for a bit less than market value then insure it for 1k-1.2k 

which is funny as the majority of "first cars" is likely going to cost around 2.6 - 3 so the "new driver" has actually got a choice od what car they want... but please bare in mind these are all in personal knowledge and different areas can have large differences.

#14 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:27 PM

welcome back ;)

to answer your question i have just done a couple of quotes on "cheap first" cars such as an old corsa © and a old polo.... they both want close to £2k to insure i believe its due to the age and the value...

if a car is older than 13 years lets say they want close or even more than double than a newer car which is funny as the newer cars have a higher value aswell

for example a 2003 corsa c is £800 to purchase but insurance wants £1.8k to insure 

however as said earlier i can get a newer corsa insured for around 1.4 average and the you can find the newer corsas for around £1400

so im actually watching my short list of cars to see if a gem pops up.... 

2006 + polo's are good as you can probably find a bargin for a bit less than market value then insure it for 1k-1.2k 

which is funny as the majority of "first cars" is likely going to cost around 2.6 - 3 so the "new driver" has actually got a choice od what car they want... but please bare in mind these are all in personal knowledge and different areas can have large differences.

I see your point, I'm not far from Chelmsford myself (about 45 mins away) so we're in a similar area. All I can say is good luck finding a car, my advice is avoid the french ones  >_< I'm not a fan.

#15 JPN173

JPN173

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

"I see your point, I'm not far from Chelmsford myself (about 45 mins away) so we're in a similar area. All I can say is good luck finding a car, my advice is avoid the french ones  >_< I'm not a fan."

yeah i know the issues of what manufacturers usually have but hopefully i get a "reliable" car. 

i hope this helps people 

cya later

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users