Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:00 PM

I'm changing the drop gears to helical and while I have it apart I'm considering changing the oil pump. When I built the engine I fitted a turbo oil pump (I was going to fit a cooler but for the use I'm giving it, it doesn't warrant it). The question is do I leave the turbo pump on or do I change it back to a normal one.

If I change it back is there a sufficient difference between the standard one from Minispares and the evolution one they sell to justify the substantial increase in cost.

I am aware if I change it I'll have to make sure it doesn't bind up the camshaft.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 February 2017 - 07:03 PM

You don't need a turbo pump even if you had an oil cooler.

Just get a quality pump and make sure the holes line up and the bolts don't bottom out.

#3 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:14 PM

A good bit of info from Keith Calver on oil pumps here.  Quote "to all intents and purposes, a turbo spec pump is a complete waste of time on a normally aspirated engine. You just DO NOT need one. And that includes a vast majority of race engines - even then there has to be a VERY good reason for needing it (i.e. when using piston crown cooling jets). Besides, bearing in mind the test results it’s a pointless exercise, and you’ll save yourselves a few quid too."

http://www.calverst....tion-oil-pumps/

From what I know the "evolution" style pumps have much better tolerances to reduce drain off issues which you may get if you happen to get one of the standard pumps that haven't been machined quite right.

Swiftune do their own CNC milled oil pump which is cheaper than the Minispares version (I went for the Swiftune CNC one when I rebuilt my engine).

http://www.swiftune....n-oil-pump.aspx

Edited by Orange-Phantom, 06 February 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

If you don't need the extra volume the Turbo Pump delivers, don't fit one - ever.

The Extra Volume is more than the Oil Pressure Relief Valve can cope with, so all that happens is you end up with considerably higher Oil Pressure than you should have and this only serves to heat the Oil. The Stock type will suit all Engines where you don't have Oil fed Ancillaries.

Edited by Moke Spider, 06 February 2017 - 09:49 PM.

#5 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:13 PM

remve and strop down and examine the parts if any pitting or scoring change it

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:33 AM

Personally I would change it whilst I was that far into the engine - false economy not to.

I would only got to the billet ones on a competition engine that was stripped and rebuilt regularly, where the re-buildable nature of the oil pump may be good.  For a road engine I don't believe there is a benefit.
As above, the turbo pump offers no advantage in 95% of cases and possibly causes issues not needed.

#7 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the input. Its obvious the turbo pump has to go, I'll replace with a standard Minispares one.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

If you already have a good Turbo oil pump there is no reason not to use it. The point is that for a non-turbo engine it is not necessary. A Turbo pump will work well so long as it is in good condition.

#9 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:42 PM

If you already have a good Turbo oil pump there is no reason not to use it. The point is that for a non-turbo engine it is not necessary. A Turbo pump will work well so long as it is in good condition.

The pump was fitted 9 months ago and has only run for 1,600 miles but everyone seems to be saying it's too excessive. I do have an adjustable relief valve and have never set it too high. So what's the concensus?

Edited by Northernpower, 07 February 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

If the pump is fairly new there is no reason not to use it. The Turbo pump simply gives greater flow capacity to fed a turbocharger, but it is fine for a noremal engine. In fact I have one in my 1964 1301 cc Cooper 'S' which has a 13-row oil cooler and revs to just over 7000 and it has worked fine for a long time.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:38 PM

But it is not needed and just sapping power and maybe putting extra heat into the oil.

As has been said it is only really needed is you have extra oil fed features such as a turbo of oil feeds to cool the Pistons.

#12 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

My point is that if the OP already had one in good condition he has no need to spend out on a different one as the one he has will work perfectly well and will supply all the oil the engine needs.

Why spend out unnecessarily? If he doesn't have a pump already then a standard one will work well.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:05 PM

I've seen a few engines fitted with the Turbo Pumps where the OPR Valve couldn't cope with the additional Oil Volume being Pumped.

Pumping more oil than needed or put another way, than can flow in to the Lube Circuit of the Engine only means it's being dumped (or attempted to) down the OPR Valve and in do so heating the oil as well as sapping power from the engine to do so.

#14 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

I've seen a few engines fitted with the Turbo Pumps where the OPR Valve couldn't cope with the additional Oil Volume being Pumped.

Pumping more oil than needed or put another way, than can flow in to the Lube Circuit of the Engine only means it's being dumped (or attempted to) down the OPR Valve and in do so heating the oil as well as sapping power from the engine to do so.

What did you see that made you come up with your deduction ?

#15 MRA

MRA

Previously known as 'mra-minis.co.uk'.

• Banned
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

I would not in your case (OP) change what is for all intents and purposes an almost new pump, there is no need at all and it is only a waste of money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)