#1 lsdweb

lsdweb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

Hi All

I'm starting to get some bits together for my 1275GT historic rally car build and looking at roll cages,  Endaf Owens is just down the road from me and his weld in cages are stunning. Endaf's done some great work for me in the past, but he's flat out busy so I'm considering my options. 

One of my other options is the bolt in multipoint Safety Devices cage (https://www.minispor...abs_description) as I could unbolt  the additional mounting points when only 6 are allowed. What worries me though is the apparent lack of a suitable harness bar - from what I can see, the harness bar runs across between the wheel arch mounts which is probably a bit too low for MSA requirements / HANS use etc..

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Wyn

#2 mini-geek

mini-geek

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

Take a look on the Facebook group "classic mini racing parts and cars" there's a cage on there forsale

#3 lsdweb

lsdweb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

Thanks

I've seen the weld in Custom Cages one on there but that's probably no good for me (multi point).

Is there another one?

Wyn

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

I always use Safety Devices roll cages and they are excellent.

#5 lsdweb

lsdweb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:34 PM

Thanks Uncle Cooperman

If you have any more hints or tips on preparation that would be great! I haven't rallied a mini for 30 years and totally out of touch with 'modern' thinking.

Regards

Wyn

#6 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

Can I ask why you are worried about a multipoint cage??

F.Y.I. - The cages Endaf fits are actually Custom Cages units.....he adds to their designs though.

I'm currently researching exactly the same as you to bring my new clubman build (or should that be rebuild?) to historic specs for stage rallying as i fancy a bash at the Minisport cup.  I'm not going down the route of CC or SD cages as i have found a company local to me who can produce something better.  Yes it won't have a 'certificate', but as long as it is built to MSA and FIA specs and a scrute can check that, then it's no drama......and before anyone spits their brew out over their keyboard in disagreement - I have checked with the MSA tech folks.

#7 lsdweb

lsdweb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

Can I ask why you are worried about a multipoint cage??

Historic regs tend to only allow six points of fixing (http://hrct.co.uk/roll-cages/) but the option of bolting in the extra fixings when allowed appeals.

I've also got a local company who will do a hybrid weld in / bolt in cage fitted for £1000 which is a good price and they did a great job of the weld in cage in my hillclimb Clio 

Attached Files

Edited by lsdweb, 18 March 2017 - 07:48 PM.

#8 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

If it was me then, I'd go back to them and get them to build and fit something similar to what you have in the clio.

I don't think when a company says 'multipoint' it means contact points here there and everywhere. The CC weld in cage only really contacts in the 6 usual places and then there is a nice bar that ties into the heel board...
I like that idea. They also seem to contact further back on the wheel arch inside the boot rather than how 'normal' cages fit...Unsure if this picking up of suspension point is allowed in historic spec cages...one to look at though.

I think as long as any extra points of contact are bolted in as they suggested I don't foresee any issue with the scrutes. It's always been my intention to get a weld in cage built to an 'ultimate' spec... Do it right first time and all that. I've got a 6point bolt in SD cage that is from my old shell... Certainly won't be fitting it in my stage car rebuild.

Edited by rally1380, 19 March 2017 - 07:00 PM.

#9 lsdweb

lsdweb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:25 PM

Thanks 

My preference is exactly as you've said - weld in (with lots of bracing) plus additional bolt in points. My Clio cage is actually only 6 point.

I built a hillclimb mini about 15 years ago using a Roll Centre weld in cage which was tagged in but took ages to fit (I cut all the tubes and tacked them in then waited for my mate to weld them in). I rolled it on my first event!

I have a relatively decent shell (I think!) so it's definitely worth getting it right first time!

I read all your Historic Clubman thread - great read!

Wyn

#10 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

I read all your Historic Clubman thread - great read!

Wyn

Cheers Wyn, unfortunate ending though!!!!  Although I suppose where one door closes another opens and the new shell build will be something special with a proper full on motorsport feel....but in keeping with period 70's stuff.  Fingers crossed i'll get on with the resurrection soon!!!!

I think you're on to a winner with your chosen roll cage person.  That Clio cage looks great and as long as your Clubman cage is built to the MSA and FIA specs, you can do any event.  I'm assuming for £1000 it was CDS rather than T45 tube?

#11 lsdweb

lsdweb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

Yes an unfortunate ending ! Gutted for you (especially as it wasn't a motorsport ending!) but the next one will always be better! Have you got a build blog / page for it?

The cage in the Clio is spot on and was a really good price (cheaper than he's quoted for the Mini!) . He's done another one in a mate's Clio and it's nowhere near as good - somebody else welded it we think; the welding is messy and the cage isn't central in the car! 

The Clio may have to go to fund the 1275GT rebuild unfortunately. I finished second overall in the Welsh Sprint and Hillclimb Championship (by 14 hundredths of a second!) in it last year but I'm not a fan of Clios , despite having two Clio Cups.

I'm leaning towards the Safety Devices bolt in multipoint cage at the moment - https://www.minispor...-roll-cage.html  . They've updated it with a higher harness bar.

#12 lsdweb

lsdweb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

Here's the new Safety Devices rear cage Dave.

Attached Files

#13 rally1380

rally1380

• Members
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

Cool. cheers

That design must be much narrower than the standard 6 point bolt in cage i'm assuming?  I needed to ratchet strap and deform the rear legs of mine quite a lot to fit mine in and i'm assuming with all the extra bars it won't squash in as much.

Looks like a serious bit of kit though

#14 lsdweb

lsdweb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

YEah

I don't think there'll be any ratchet strapping going on! I've just found somebody to do the welding for me (I can blob two bits of metal together but I'm not good enough for this build!). Fingers crossed I can start making progress.

If you know of a Clubman front end or panels please let me know!

Wyn

#15 lsdweb

lsdweb

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:34 PM

Here's one fitted (this doesn't have the additional harness bar) - Photo00341.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users