16 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Dexter

Mr.Dexter

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:36 AM

Hi, I am currently in the process of trying to get as much information about the engine inside my mini.

I have managed to get some information from the identification tag on the engine but would like some help ith finding out what some of it means.

The identification tag says "RKM1133E 12160" (This may be incorrect slightly as is very faded)

From the RKM1133E, I have gathered some information including:

• Factory replaced engine
  • It's a 1275cc silver seal for a 1300GT(ADO16) and 1300, with an 11 stud cylinder head
  • The RKM means it was of UNIPART origin when BL split its parts organization
  • The E at the end means it is reconditioned and a service unit only with no ancillaries?

However, what does the "12160" mean?

Furthermore, I have also worked out it is an A series engine and has a possibility of being a big bore.

I am confused on what the "Silver seal" means and what the "UNIPART origin when BL split its parts organization" means?

I understand what it means by reconditioned means but what about no ancillaries? Is this something I need to look into?

Thank you for any help, let me know if you need any more information I will do my best to provide the information. Thanks.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,886 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

The 1260 is a number unique to your engine to identify it from all others out there. The prefix to this describes, as you've found out, what it is.

Unipart was a division within Leyland that handled the spares. It was eventually separated in to a company in it's own right, but owned by Leyland and then later again, set adrift on it's own. The company exists to this day;-

https://unipart.com/

Though they have nothing to do with mini parts these days, they are involved in a lot of different things.

Silver Seal was like a 'trade mark' kinda thing to let buyers know that it is a factory reconditioned unit to factory acceptable specifications.

No Ancillaries means it came without parts like a starter motor, dynamo (or alternator), water pump etc

#3 Mr.Dexter

Mr.Dexter

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:47 AM

The 1260 is a number unique to your engine to identify it from all others out there. The prefix to this describes, as you've found out, what it is.

Unipart was a division within Leyland that handled the spares. It was eventually separated in to a company in it's own right, but owned by Leyland and then later again, set adrift on it's own. The company exists to this day;-

https://unipart.com/

Though they have nothing to do with mini parts these days, they are involved in a lot of different things.

Silver Seal was like a 'trade mark' kinda thing to let buyers know that it is a factory reconditioned unit to factory acceptable specifications.

No Ancillaries means it came without parts like a starter motor, dynamo (or alternator), water pump etc

Oh ok Thank you for clearing that up,

So what is the difference between "Silver Seal" and "Gold Seal"?

The engine does now have all the "Ancillaries" however they have never been used and are probably not going to work now. Thank you for clarifying that for me though

Thanks

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

If I recall, the Silver Series was a cheaper option. All parts were checked and most of those in spec. were re-used, where as the Gold series all normal wear parts regardless were replaced.

#5 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:00 AM

Gold Seal was a complete reconditioned engine with full factory warranty. I'm guessing that yours was sold as a short engine so maybe that's what Silver Seal is all about. Think the MG1300 has 11 studa. The 1275GT did not.

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,485 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

If I recall, the Silver Series was a cheaper option. All parts were checked and most of those in spec. were re-used, where as the Gold series all normal wear parts regardless were replaced.

That's what I'm led to believe :)

#7 Mr.Dexter

Mr.Dexter

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

Oh ok, that makes sense, the engine will be rebuilt with all parts most probably being replaced due to its age and the length of time it has been sat unused.

Thanks for assisting me though it has been a great help.

#8 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 21 November 2021 - 10:26 AM

Hello,

am I allowed to post a similar question here about the lump I collected yesterday from south of Frankfurt?

It's a short block and was bought on ebay-Germany.

As you can see, the engine-no ist RKM1115E.

I could not find anything about this on the internet except being a Unipart factory replacment block.

It is a 1275 non-A+ with closed tappets.

The crankshaft is a CAM6232 which denotes an A+ rolled crankshaft. I have not yet removed the crank nor the cam.

It used to be fitted with a mechanical fuel pump. It has a large water pump impellor.

One can see on the photos that the block had provision for 11 studs but apparently only 9 were used as the threads on the remaining two studs are quite rusted.

Could someone give some more light of the origin of this short engine? I'd be grateful!

Ahhh, the cost: €110,-

Kind regards,

Helmut

Attached Files

Edited by r.tec, 21 November 2021 - 10:27 AM.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 21 November 2021 - 11:56 AM

Not originally fitted to a Mini. Yes was a gold or silver seal unit.

strip it and see.

#10 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 04:54 PM

The last few days I dismantled the engine. Maybe someone finds it interesting what I found out.

As I could see before the crankshaft is a CAM6232 with 0.010" undersize.

Attached File  2021-11-29 (2)kl.jpg   135K   1 downloads

It has a simplex timing chain with a tensioner.

Attached File  2021-11-27 (1)kl.jpg   54.1K   0 downloads

The camshaft has no markings except the three pink-coloured dots.

Attached File  2021-11-29 (1)kl.jpg   122.98K   0 downloads

The oilpump has a spider drive. Well, the spider alone has at least a value of €25 nowadays.

Attached File  2021-11-27 (2)kl.jpg   110.96K   0 downloads

The timing case back plate seems to be of the Austin/Morris 1100/1300 variety but was cut off to fit into a Mini engine bay.

Attached File  2021-11-29 (5)kl.jpg   106.29K   0 downloads

All main bearing caps and the block have V472 stamped in. Perhaps a code when/where/who the engine was refurbished?

Attached File  2021-11-29 (3)kl.jpg   78.45K   0 downloads

Attached File  2021-11-29 (8)kl.jpg   90.22K   2 downloads

From the inside one could see that the bores were resleeved.

Attached File  2021-11-29 (7)kl.jpg   102.58K   2 downloads

#11 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 04:55 PM

And finally there were rests of silver hammerite paint in the back core plugs and the end of the engine, certainly indicating that the engine was a silver seal unit.

Attached File  2021-11-29 (9)kl.jpg   101.01K   0 downloads

I will check with Klaus Derondeau from Derondeau-Motorentechnik in Aachen if the crankshaft is still serviceable and if the block can be bored out to 73.5 mm.

That's all. Hope you like it.

Kind regards,

Helmut

#12 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 05:23 PM

Good luck

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 06:45 PM

I'd say it was at one point a Silver Seal Series, but then someone since did some of their own work to it.

The Cap and Block stampings are normally done when the block is first machined from castings at the factory.

The Block you have is a 76 - early 79 era block, which in my own opinion, were the best of any of the blocks.

#14 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 06:51 PM

My 1300gt silver seal engine had the RKM engine code and sleeved bores.

#15 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:47 PM

I’d agree it’s had further work since being a Silverseal recon - I wouldn’t have thought they would fit an A+ crank as part of that recon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users