#1 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:10 PM

Evening all.

Well done a deal and picked it up today. 1979 GT, denim blue. 9 owners from new, last fella had it 18 years. She hasn't been MOT'd since 2000. Going to be a big project for me, first Mini but can't wait to get stuck in.

Been reading through a load of detailed threads on other people's GT's to give me some idea of the amount of work required. Quite a bit going on what I've discovered so far!!

Anyway here are a couple of pics. How active is the North East Mini scene? Many members up here?

Jonny

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:50 PM

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking project. I suggest you subscribe to the forum; it only costs £5 and one of the benefits is you'll be able to get 7.5% discount from MiniSpares.

#3 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

Thanks NorthernPower will do. Any discount will be handy as I'll need plenty of spares.

#4 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

Done

#5 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:34 PM

Good luck with the GT mate. Have you had it running yet? As Northernpower said being a tmf+ member definitely pays for itself in minispares discounts

#6 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

Thanks GT Jimmy. Had it turning over but old fuel and tired battery meant it didn't fire. Was running last year apparently. There's an invoice there for the replacement engine that's been fitted. 1312cc? Has an unleaded head too. Has only done around 100 miles since fitted and has been garaged since.

#7 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 24 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

Nice little GT, these are becoming very hard to get hold of now so it will be nice to see another being saved :)

#8 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Local Club: north devon mini register

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

Hi mate nice gt ! Will you be keeping it de-seemed or going to replace them?

#9 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Thanks guys.

The eventual plan is to replace them, or more truthfully the full panels.  That will depend on funds at the time.  Ive yet to strip it down and have a proper look as Ive got it stored at the parents.  I must finish my Defender 110 CSW first, sell that, garage clearcut and get the Mini in, then Ill be able to start stripping.

It was purely by chance that I bought it, it belonged to my sister in law's neighbour.  The purchase was probably rued more by heart than head but hey ho. The floor, toe board etc have been enthusiasticaly patched.  Cills to floor are frilly.  Boot floor has been patched.  Door bottoms have some holes.

Plan wise Im thinking probably a full floor, cills, toe board and go from there.  Ive been speaking to Neil on here and have discussed full sides, wings/A panels, screen surround, rear panel etc to get the seams back into it at some point. 

Any pointers as to where to start first, bracing etc would be very much appreciated.  Ive rebuilt a few Land Rovers before, new chassis, bulkhead repairs, door skins etc but this is a different ball game to me!!

ATB

#10 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

Good to see another GT that's going to be restored, it sounds like you need to replace the same panels that were replaced on my GT (complete floor, cills, A panels, boot floor rear valance to name just a few), I cant claim credit for my GT's restoration but the thread ( http://www.theminifo...-isle-of-wight/)  might give you some ideas on what panels to tackle first.

Good luck with the restoration

#11 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:50 PM

Good to see another GT that's going to be restored, it sounds like you need to replace the same panels that were replaced on my GT (complete floor, cills, A panels, boot floor rear valance to name just a few), I cant claim credit for my GT's restoration but the thread ( http://www.theminifo...-isle-of-wight/)  might give you some ideas on what panels to tackle first.

Good luck with the restoration

Ah thanks for that link, I've spent an age having a read through that thread too. Amazing and very detailed, just what I was after. Something along those lines and I'll be one very happy chap!

Edited by Jgguinness, 24 April 2017 - 09:51 PM.

#12 Ace Alex

Ace Alex

Formally known as Pedal Pusher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:07 PM

Nice GT project.  I know that location in the first picture!  ;D

If the engine was built by G&Ws (rear windscreen sticker) you'll have a good'un.

#13 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:43 PM

You local Alex? The engine was done by the place in town not G&W's. Back in 2000 I think.

#14 Jgguinness

Jgguinness

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

Hi all, bit of an update.

Been doing DIY and some work on my Defender recently so all ive managed to do is to get the Mini along to my place and get it in the garage.  When I bought the Mini id not heard it run so decided to try and get her started.

Have an issue with no fuel getting to the carb so will have to look at that.  Other than that, a temp fuel supply, checked plugs/spark and she fired up straight away.  The exhaust the PO has fitted is quite loud, its brand new stainless but im unsure as to if I'll keep it or not.

Once ive sold the Defender ill start on the Mini, but here is a quick video.

Any comments would be grateful, thanks

Edited by Jgguinness, 30 August 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#15 gadget555

gadget555

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:56 PM

Nice one keep the updates coming

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users