5 replies to this topic

#1 7builder

7builder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

My SPi keeps blowing fuel pump fuses so today I have taken the car apart and traced the wiring as suggested in several posts and can find nothing obviously wrong. Could the pump be the fault here? The problem is that once the fuse is replaced it runs fine for a while then blows another fuse at random intervals. Sometimes I get through 2 or 3 fuses a day and other times it is fine for a couple of days.

This is driving me nutty now but don't want to spend out on an expensive pump if it isn't that at fault.

#2 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

one check would be to remove the power feed to the pump and start her up, if the fuse doesn't blow then it points to the pump, if it does blow then the problem is further up the wiring, possibly relay related, tricky with it being intermittent intervals though.

It could possibly be a partially blocked fuel filter  

#3 7builder

7builder

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:04 PM

Thanks Ivan I will give that a try.

Thanks for responding.  :-)

#4 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

As another test you could disconnect the pump wiring (I assume its just a power connection?) and use this to switch a temporary relay.  You could then wire a feed directly from the battery via a fuse of the same rating as the car normally has, through the relay to the pump. 

If the fuse still blows then its the pump, if not then its something else on the circuit (does the fuel pump circuit serve anything else?).

#5 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:09 PM

As another test you could disconnect the pump wiring (I assume its just a power connection?) and use this to switch a temporary relay.  You could then wire a feed directly from the battery via a fuse of the same rating as the car normally has, through the relay to the pump. 

If the fuse still blows then its the pump, if not then its something else on the circuit (does the fuel pump circuit serve anything else?).

Fuel pump is off the MFU on an SPI....

FS

#6 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:04 AM

I've been in the situation where the pump was blowing fuses regularly. Eventually the pump died, and it was of course replaced. If you run the car low on fuel the pump can become uncovered and this can lead to issues such as this. The pump needs to remain immersed in fuel to keep it cooled, and on the later cars the gauge seems to reflect this need, as I find that it shows empty when there is still around 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank capacity remaining (determined by how much it takes to fill up to full under these conditions).

Edited by spiguy, 17 June 2017 - 12:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users