#1 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hi everyone
Since I keep starting topics with my new found mini problems I thought Id start my own project topic to try and cover most things!
Bit of background. I have had a MINI Cooper D for a couple of years but since being a child Ive always wanted a classic car and more specifically since watching the Italian job a classic mini! Im 26 and a few months ago me and my girlfriend sold our first house (town centre location with no parking) and got ourselves a little cottage in the country with... a garage!! It was only a matter of time before a mini ended up in it!
Ill be honest I have no idea what Im really doing but Im loving giving whatever it is a go.

So heres the car!

Attached File  39C9973D-9B25-4B1B-AD47-A13DA294D9EC.png   480.88K   4 downloads
Attached File  55DFC55B-0B95-41A6-A2D3-388D34F41E20.png   508.23K   2 downloads

The previous owner has had it for 6 years and in that time done lots of welding and a very very diy paint job.. the pictures make the paint look ok but in reality it needs a respray as its very runny and orange peely. Apart from that the car has been off the road since 1999 but I see no reason why it cant have its first MOT of the 21st century early next year.
Ill upload lots of pictures soon

#2 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

jobs ive done so far.

replace the brake master cylinder 

replace the clutch slave cylinder

water temperature gauge 

oil pressure gauge

replace the rotor arm and distributor cap

just other bits and bobs.

started to strip out the old carpets ready to fit new carpet and soundproofing

the car to me seems very solid and no obvious rot

I paid £2500, and although its not technically roadworthy Im happy with it!

Attached File  IMG_5899.jpg   61.38K   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_5900.jpg   37.93K   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_5931.jpg   87.63K   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_5977.jpg   40.71K   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6211.jpg   38.55K   4 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6212.jpg   47.7K   3 downloads

#3 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

Looks pretty original despite you saying the paint is duff. If you're lucky there's no more welding and the underside is good??

If the paint is covered in runs and orange peel, maybe you want to google 'Fareclar' and 'polishing machine' and see if you can cut it back. It looks like it was sprayed with cellulose so it could be easy..

just an idea??  

#4 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:57 PM

Looks pretty original despite you saying the paint is duff. If you're lucky there's no more welding and the underside is good??

If the paint is covered in runs and orange peel, maybe you want to google 'Fareclar' and 'polishing machine' and see if you can cut it back. It looks like it was sprayed with cellulose so it could be easy..

just an idea??  

I am contemplating next year giving the car a going over with some 1500 or 2000 grit... ill try and get some better close up shots but I think the previous owner got a bit over excited with some filler and rattle cans... the car is never going to be a concourse renovation with my budget so as long as there is paint and not rust ill survive! some good cutting compound might be worth a try, if i end up having to sand it all back for a respray anyways then I have nothing to lose 

some pictures from tonight when I stripped out what was left of the carpet and started on the sound proofing.

Attached File  IMG_6217.jpg   53.81K   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6218.jpg   74.98K   0 downloads

I thought someone here might enjoy some retro aftermarket (I assume) gadget. it works but makes a horrendous noise so is coming off. 

Attached File  IMG_6223.jpg   34.1K   0 downloads

#5 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:01 AM

Looks like an excellent buy if the pictures can be believed as that floor looks amazingly original and sound. Enjoy Mini owner ship. Love the original interior.

#6 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

Looks like an excellent buy if the pictures can be believed as that floor looks amazingly original and sound. Enjoy Mini owner ship. Love the original interior.

Thanks
Yes everything feels pretty solid! No nasty discoveries when taking our the carpets!
Before I tackle putting new carpets in is there anything worth doing to the floors before covering them with carpet??

#7 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

Wow. Wheres the rust? love your car. Bit of a tidy clean and some weather protection and you are away. 

What are your longer term plans for it?

#8 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

What are your longer term plans for it?

To start with its just a case of getting it back on the road. Like I said before it hasnt had an MOT since 1999 so thats my first priority.
Long term plans will all depend on how much money I can put into the car. I know I dont have the funds to do anything exciting so it will just be a simple keep everything original. I like how basic it is so dont want to over complicate anything

#9 73MkIII

73MkIII

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

Mine will go back as close to original as possible, cant afford to do it concourse. I will clean up what has come off and bolt it back on but due to crashes it has rust issues. Still can’t believe how solid your shell is. You got a bargain for £2,500. Was it dry stored or did someone restore it earlier? Just that 80’s and 90’s shells always seem to be worse for rust.

The colour is cool too.

#10 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

Looks great, I too love the colour.

#11 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:44 PM

Mine will go back as close to original as possible, cant afford to do it concourse. I will clean up what has come off and bolt it back on but due to crashes it has rust issues. Still cant believe how solid your shell is. You got a bargain for £2,500. Was it dry stored or did someone restore it earlier? Just that 80s and 90s shells always seem to be worse for rust.

The colour is cool too.

It has been garaged since 1999, no idea about its history before that sadly. The guy I got it from said he had replaced the sills. Theres a few signs of filler but overal it is all solid as far as I can see!

Yeah I like the yellow, wasnt my first choice but its got a charm to it. The last owner sprayed it himself with a truck load of rattle cans. It looks alright in photos but if you saw it in person its rather shabby chic to be polite.

#12 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:45 PM

Carpets fitted! was a bit fiddly but seemed to go alright! I used Normfest spray adhesive to stick some of the bits in place. I used to be a sales rep for Wurth and as far as I know Normfest products are made by Wurth but sold through eurocarparts. eitherway it done a brilliant job and was pretty cheap (£5.80 a can) 

Attached File  IMG_6229.jpg   19.29K   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6235.jpg   30.66K   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6237.jpg   43.21K   0 downloads

starting to look a bit more like a car now rather than an empty shell!

heres a few pictures of the paintwork that is currently on the mini. I think the previous owner might have painted it with a combination of a brush and a paintball gun... same method for any filler work  >_<

Attached File  IMG_6239.jpg   12.06K   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6241.jpg   27.06K   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6242.jpg   27.9K   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6243.jpg   15.47K   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6245.jpg   16.14K   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6244.jpg   18.16K   0 downloads

#13 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

Thanks
Yes everything feels pretty solid! No nasty discoveries when taking our the carpets!
Before I tackle putting new carpets in is there anything worth doing to the floors before covering them with carpet??

The

The main thing is to make sure they are staying dry, i.e no water leaks from failing door seals etc. As long as the carpets and floor are dry they will stay in good condition. Making sure the under side is well protected as well. Under body wax applied once a year is a good solution.

#14 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

Thanks
The
The main thing is to make sure they are staying dry, i.e no water leaks from failing door seals etc. As long as the carpets and floor are dry they will stay in good condition. Making sure the under side is well protected as well. Under body wax applied once a year is a good solution.

The car is kept in my garage and I dont plan on using it other than on a bone dry day so hopefully this will help keep things nice and solid!

#15 ga2davt

ga2davt

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

You are lucky that the rust hasn't taken hold.  ;D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users