18 replies to this topic

#1 banditmini

banditmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:26 PM

Whats the best way to take out the engine. My min has only inner wings at the front at the mo so access is no probs. Should I follow the Haynes manual way or should I undo the 6 subframe bolts and undo the shocks and lift the car off the enigine. Anyone please help!!

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

Drop the subframe...

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:57 PM

Depends, everyone has a preference. Dropping the subframe is probably the cleanest, but then you have to disconnect the brakes.

If you car is going for a full rebuild, or major work I'd drop the subframe, otherwise, if your just repairing the engine quickly or something, I'd bring the engine through the bonnet.

#4 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 27 September 2006 - 02:05 PM

"only has inner wings" i think if he pulls the engine out hed be able to it forward...dont orget about drive shafts and gear selector...it happened to my friend

#5 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:10 PM

"only has inner wings" i think if he pulls the engine out hed be able to it forward...dont orget about drive shafts and gear selector...it happened to my friend

aye, and good luck with the gear selector pain, I mean pin :-

#6 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:14 PM

yep friend had problem with that too...so....angle grinder was taken out cut both of them later when enigne was out pins "persuaded" to come out...he wanted a new lot anyway

#7 Boab

Boab

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:27 PM

With the whole front end off, then you can loosen all the screws/bolts holding the gear stick in the car. Take the gear stick out, and then you will be able to slide the engine forward, on a crane of course, and the linkage will come with you.

#8 Dave 1293

Dave 1293

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:03 PM

crane!!! don't need a crane for a mini!!!

#9 Boab

Boab

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

crane!!! don't need a crane for a mini!!!

I'm only little and couldn't lift the monstoreous engines that come out of minis. :- Easier if doing yourself IMHO :dozing:

#10 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:21 PM

take it out the top!! tiny bit fiddlier at times but lots less to go wrong when putting it all back together!! and face facts if u drop the subframe u still have to get the engine out of it!! u havent got to bleed the brakes or clutch if u leave the subframe in (just lift the clutch cylinder out of the way)

put the car up on stands and remove the front wheels

to remove the gearbox pin, get a normal pin punch the same size as the roll pin or a tiny bit smaller and grind down a little step on it!! this helps it to locate in the middle of the roll pin!! plus have it in reverse when you're trying to knock it out! easiest position by far!

cv joints - it sounds like its ur first time so remove the cv gaitor clip from each side then take out the top ball joint on each side!! and lean the swivels over to the outside of the car!! shud give u more than enuf clearance!!

so many other things to say that cud help you but it would just take up too much room!!

remember if u have no front panel then u only have to lift the engine up a little bit to get it fowards and out!!

Edited by fikus01, 27 September 2006 - 06:35 PM.

#11 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

I am going to be putting in my 1275 once its here and i will be making a full how to in the FAQ's of taking the engine out, on the subframe and then replacing the subframe with the engine.

Recon it would go down well?

#12 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:33 PM

I would get the special tool for removing the CV joints, it is worth the money, the CV joints are a real pain.

DSN sell a special pin punch for removing the selector rod.

#13 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

i dont remove the cv joints, just the gaitor, the cup stays in the engine!! ok the balls mite fall out of the shafts but they pop back in wth a click!! much easier to put back on that way too!! only 6 slots to line up rather than lots of splines and a locking clip !!!

easier to remove the cups from the engine when its on the floor anyway if u havent got the tool!!

i dont remove the cv joints, just the gaitor, the cup stays in the engine!! ok the balls mite fall out of the shafts but they pop back in wth a click!! much easier to put back on that way too!! only 6 slots to line up rather than lots of splines and a locking clip !!!

easier to remove the cups from the engine when its on the floor anyway if u havent got the tool!!

ooh p.s. dont forget to drain the oil out when the engine is stil in the car!! lots easier than trying to do it on the floor or on the hoist!!

#14 banditmini

banditmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:44 AM

Cheers everyone, will have to pull some more bits off and then see but more suggestions are welcome!!

#15 Stoo

Stoo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

I think fikus01 means pot joints not CV joints (The ones against the diff)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users