3 replies to this topic

#1 Andi-p

Andi-p

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:11 PM

Hi all. Has anyone tried doing an M series engine conversion. I have an engine that is currently in a suzuki ignis and have tried to measure it up but my rough measurements are making it look too big due to inlet and exhaust manifolds and the overall height. Hope someone is able to shed some light on this conversion.

#2 Andi-p

Andi-p

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 09:37 PM

Just a little addition to this post. The m series engine will not fit under a standard front end. After a few nights of measuring and cutting and welding of jig templates it just will not fit. Now to contemplate a clubman front end or extend the round front end. It seems a lot of work for a simple idea and 109 bhp.

#3 69k1100

69k1100

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:49 AM

There are easier ways to get that sort of power. The Honda B series engines will fit with comparatively minor modification these days (form what they used to need).

Below is the build process for one located in Australia - standard length front and limited cutting of the original unibody.

And whats your application? Daily or race car or something in-between? Daily, you could get something close to that with A CG13DE, these will just about fit without body modifications and can be tuned to around the power figure of the M series engine (but will be a little rope-able on the road) or a small turbo would achieve the same, but with a much more mildly mannered street engine.

#4 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 23 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

I'd have thought it would go in?

How were your driveshafts lining up - that is your 1st reference point, then work upwards and outwards.

Even the G13B needs the inlet manifold altering and sits at a slightly inclined position.  It's a tight fit I have good room above the head to the bonnet.  

All of them need the alternator re-positioning to under the wing, otherwise you need to cut out the drivers side tower too much.

The M's have a smaller stroke so the block should be shorter.

Run it on TB's with a MegaSquirt and it would probably pull 130Hp?

To be honest it's a pig to remove and replace even the G13B's with a solid welded on front (like mine).  I hoist the engine out with an attachment on no 1 cylinder exhaust branch and inlet stud so it comes out with the gearbox hanging about three feet lower than the cam cover.

I recon you could make good power the a standard G13 8v, TB's and a good ECU - loads of those still about in Switfts and they are bullet proof engines that weigh about 80Kg?  If you got a 1.3 GS you get a great FWD for 10" wheels too?  Then you can always swap over to a G13B head if and when comes up ... you can run them with the standard G13A pistons as long as you keep the cams standard.

Stick a post on the 16V mini forum in the Suzuki section ...there are loads of us on there too.

Edited by DomCr250, 23 July 2018 - 10:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users