Photo

Refurbishing Old Metro Parts For Reuse (In Minis)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:44 AM

OK so I have access to 3 x Mini Metros. One in a barn and the other two have bee sat in a field for 10 - 20 years :-)

Two are 1275s and one had a A+ 998 fitted just before it was laid up.

I have posted on here before saying that I was planning this scheme of salvaging some parts (mainly the engines) and today I finally made a start.

I will be stripping out as much as can be salvaged as possible, cleaning them up and selling them on to fund some much needed front end work on my Mini (Subframe / Brakes / Engine).

First up I have removed two of the carbs (sadly one of the HIF44's has been removed already), I think one is a HIF 38 (That came of the 998) and the other is a 44 (That I pulled from the 1275) but I found this thread that should help.

HHkumYZ.jpg

So questions:

1. What would be the best method of cleaning these up. What tools, drill attachments?

2. Should I fully refurbish them using a service kit before selling them or just clean them up?

3. What's the going rate for a HIF 38 and HIF 44?

TVM for any info

#2 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:12 AM

A nicely refurbished hif44 is about £200

Also metro 4 pots are worth a bit of money. Are any of the metros turbos?

Edited by WillCarter, 09 August 2018 - 08:15 AM.

#3 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:33 AM

A nicely refurbished hif44 is about £200

Also metro 4 pots are worth a bit of money. Are any of the metros turbos?

No none are Turbos :-(

And yes I had also thought that the 4 Pot brake calibers would be worth stripping out and cleaning up. They are going to quite badly corroded on at least two of the three cars.

#4 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

I'd be interested in the third car's brakes if they're in decent condition and you're willing to sell them, let me know how much you're wanting. Cheers!

#5 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:44 PM

I'd be interested in the third car's brakes if they're in decent condition and you're willing to sell them, let me know how much you're wanting. Cheers!

Will, I'm assuming your after the front disc brakes? Which bits? I haven't had a chance to look under this car, but yes I will be selling the disc flanges and calipers but may keep the rest for myself if they are compatible as I want to do a 7.5 disc brake conversion from drums. This car is the one in the barn and was running when it last went in there. It's been stored in the dry so they should be ok? I wont be able to look now for a couple of weeks as I am off on holiday but will give you first dibs when I get back.

#6 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 03:50 PM

Will, I'm assuming your after the front disc brakes? Which bits? I haven't had a chance to look under this car, but yes I will be selling the disc flanges and calipers but may keep the rest for myself if they are compatible as I want to do a 7.5 disc brake conversion from drums. This car is the one in the barn and was running when it last went in there. It's been stored in the dry so they should be ok? I wont be able to look now for a couple of weeks as I am off on holiday but will give you first dibs when I get back.

I appreciate that, the flanges and callipers would be great. I'm not in any rush for them, have a good holiday!

#7 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:02 PM

Hi,

What years are these metros please?

Cheers  :proud:

#8 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:25 PM

Unfortunately the metro hubs are different to the mini's :(

#9 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:56 PM

Unfortunately the metro hubs are different to the mini's :(

Thanks Alex - i'll keep looking elsewhere, can't afford a complete conversion kit. I did see a Front Subframe and 8.4 Discs in Plymouth for sale though so that may be an option.

#10 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:16 PM

Hi,

What years are these metros please?

Cheers  :proud:

Bat - not sure, I'll have to check. When I posted on FaceBook Metro Power For Sale last year I said one was a City? Today I noticed one has 1.3 Cubman on the rear end?

4jzZOpV.jpg

#11 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:23 PM

Battery died on the phone today so only one picture:

First Engine disconnected and ready to lift out. Couldn't get the gear linkage off and at first we tried to remove it with it attached, but in the end I had to hacksaw it off :-(

The front end of the Metro fell apart.

The half shafts were a bit of a pain - mainly because I have never done this before. One side came off OK but the RH side was a little more stubborn but we got there in the end.

Engine had plenty of oil, lots of which drained out when we pulled out the half shaft :-) and the radiator was still full, so I got wet and oily :-)

Engine is now sitting on a pallet ready for a clean up and further checking.

And I have salvaged some other bits that i'll post up on Metro Power For Sale - Header Tank, Windscreen Washer Bottle, lenses, etc. Seats look OK and it has some nice red rear seat belts.  

SOt4ym9.jpg

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 09 August 2018 - 07:25 PM.

#12 MattMiniS96

MattMiniS96

Half pint guy in a half pint car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

Bit of a strange request, the little blue clubman 1.3L, do you know what it's reg was/is? I had one about 4 years ago and just wondered if that was it?

#13 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

Bit of a strange request, the little blue clubman 1.3L, do you know what it's reg was/is? I had one about 4 years ago and just wondered if that was it?

Matt;

I don't think so, that's the clubman with the front ripped out :-( it was in a crash and written off and given to the Fire Brigade who were about to chop it up for practise before this guy bought it off of them for spares.

#14 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:05 PM

Made a start on a few bits.

Cleaned up the two air filter boxes:

XFhhd62.jpg

dPDeMST.jpg

And started on the carb - just playing at the moment and I have just received a HIF gasket set so I can completely strip them down. 

Still contemplating the best method of cleaning the inaccessible areas, White Distilled Vinegar, Coke, Ultrasonic Cleaner, Emery Paper, Scotchbrite, Wire Wool and Metal Polish?

Sadly I don't own a soda blaster :-(

mzFhfL5.jpg

kjXRF9m.jpg

Obviously the one I have started is the one on the bottom.

As you can see it has some pitting that will take some work to do. 

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 11 August 2018 - 03:08 PM.

#15 MattMiniS96

MattMiniS96

Half pint guy in a half pint car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

Matt;

I don't think so, that's the clubman with the front ripped out :-( it was in a crash and written off and given to the Fire Brigade who were about to chop it up for practise before this guy bought it off of them for spares.

Ah okay, thanks for replying!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users