#1 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:49 AM

Back in 2012, I did a run with a couple of good mates (both are here on the forum - Tony & Paul) to the very tip of Cape York, via Adelaide, Birdsville, Mount Isa, Cairns, then to the Top and back home via a Moke Meet in the New England Area, only 10 000 km (6 000 miles) and if I recall, over 5 weeks, most days on the road.

This included some 3 000 + km (1 800 + miles) of off road driving.

About 100 km north of Birdsville, after covering the first leg of the off road stuff, of some 700 km I broke a drive shaft. I was literally just on the cruise, had drive one moment, and lost all drive the next. No big deal, about 30 minutes latter (the repair naturally included a cuppa as it was before 10 AM), we were under way again.

8UkNH9F.jpg

,,,,,,,, This was the furthest thing from my mind today.

A box arrived ?? I wasn't expecting anything, but low and behold, in it was an 'Award' (of sorts)

de3h6fH.jpg

Many thanks to Tony for not only somehow keeping this trophie all this time, but for mounting & sending it.

"Straight to the Bar Room" with this one !

Thanks Tony - ACE adventure mate :D

Thanks also to Paul, who set the route, the timing, organised the beers - the lot !

Yes, it really was a loooong way to The Top !!!

I may get around to doing a bit of a write up here on the trip at some future point, but right now, I'm just getting ready to attend a Moke Club Meeting, which for me is a round trip of just over 3 000 km,,,,,,,,

#2 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:26 AM

Hi,

Six years later it would come as a surprise!

Congratulations on your award  :proud:

Cheers  :proud:

#3 4XMOKE

4XMOKE

Formally known as Spotpot

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:28 AM

Nice one HP, you got him good !

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:48 AM

reminds me a  story told to me by a friend.

His Dad and a Mate took two Scamps to  Nordkapp, Norway. (and back).

I will leave it at that.

#5 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:16 PM

Brilliant, a good trip and nice trophy. Not sure what you class as 'off road' guess thats straight out in the bush. Over here its mud plugging with  4x4.

We went to Aus last year and traveled up the east coast a bit from Cairns, the road up the hills to Atherton is a hell of a good hillclimb.

We ran over a crock in the dark or thought so...it turned out to be the tread off a wagon tyre...hahah, lucky no real damage but a fair old bang

#6 Mini ManannĂ¡n

Mini ManannĂ¡n

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:03 PM

How many miles? Jees!  Mighty adventure that one Chris

#7 Halfpint

Halfpint

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 11:49 AM

It was an awesome adventure, one of the hardest things I have ever done but will always cherish it .

2yrs in the planning and building of the cars, all of us backing out of our sheds loaded with gear, fuel, food, etc and not one of us with more than 50klm on the clock of running in time! 

Here is 2 days out of 5 weeks.

Maree, South Australia, one end of the Birdsville Track, after leaving Leigh Creek that morning.

1340-201012230151.jpeg

1340-201012230707.jpeg

A much needed camp along the Track, about an hour before  Mangarane 

1340-201012230613.jpeg

1340-101012213359.jpeg

And after 700 odd klm's of track where at times it was smooth and 100kph, and other parts at 20kph driving over ruts, corrugations and rocks that littered the track, we left Birdsville on black top, smooth as silk, really quiet after the Track and thats when we failed to advance.

After we finished fixing the Moke and packed up our morning tea, I just threw everything into my toolbag.

Fast forward 2 and a bit years I'm cleaning up and repack the tool bag only to find the remnants of the offending failed drive shaft. Looking at the grain structure where it had fractured, it seemed a shame to throw out and thats when I thought " I know what to do with that", So there you have it, the only time I ever saw Spider lose his drive  :highfive:

It was still another week of driving to get to Pajinka, following dirt development roads with pot holes that could have had their own post codes, days of corrugations, and memories galore.

1340-100713221438.jpeg

Yes Retroman, it was quite a run for us as well as we came down off the Tablelands heading back into Cairns.

1340-271012181421.jpeg

Cheers all

Halfpint

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

Cheers Tony !!

Was a hard trip for sure, and in ways you don't even think of before setting off,,,,

Completing it was another ticked off my bucket list. Did I mention my bucket was pretty deep?

oLCqdyP.jpg

0ljh0qp.jpg

rqwTHkr.jpg

jqUWaWq.jpg

Thanks to Weeper Gee for allowing us to publish her Newspaper Article here

#9 Pete Power

Pete Power

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 01:57 AM

How did you remove the busted drive shaft from the outer CV?

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:39 AM

How did you remove the busted drive shaft from the outer CV?

With that one, I was lucky. There was enough left to be able to grab it with some Vice Grips. Many, I haven't been so lucky with !

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:42 AM

Here's a vid clip from Paul of the Bloomfield Track. This was a last minute thing to do this track, often considered 4WD only. The section shown in this clip was definitely one of the easier parts, some sections further South were quite steep, so steep in fact that I thought I was going to need a ladder!

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

Some more on the Cape road. While not visible in this clip, the corrugations were huge and relentless - 600 miles up and 600 miles back - you can get a bit of an idea from how much 'rock and roll' there is. The only way to tackle them is to hit them with speed (50 - 60 mph).

#13 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

how many fillings did you lose on that trip !!

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,844 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:17 PM

how many fillings did you lose on that trip !!

It was quite rough in some places, the entire length of the road, all 600 miles is corrugated and there's no let up, only, some sections they were smaller and closer spaced than others. The 'trick' to drive over these corrugations - most of the time - is to get the speed up, around 50 - 60 mph and then, from the driver's seat, they 'smooth' out, though it is really noisy !

There were a few sections though, that they were just too big for even this. I recall a stretch about 45 miles long, leading up to the Jardine River and these were HUGE, some up to a foot high, though, for the most part, they were around 6". There was nothing for this, other than to just go slow and 'hump' over them. It was a test in patience !

But,,,,,,,

The trip I did the following year, across the Anne Beadell Highway (some of the most remote 'country' on Earth), they were HUGE all the way, however, they did give way from time to time, to wash outs big enough to swallow a Mini.  This 'Highway' is some 820 miles one end to the other, the first half of it, out speed never got over 10 mph and was more usually around 6 - 7 mph. Good fuel economy at these speeds !

Here's a good section

mCXg89C.jpg

We had some mates in the 4WD's start off with us, but after suffering the first roughly 90 miles of this 'highway' and doing some damage to their vehicles, they turned around and went back with their tails between their legs.

Oh and fillings,,,,, well,,,,, if you keep your mouth firmly shut, I found they don't rattle out to easy !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users