18 replies to this topic

#1 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

I just got a new '78 Canadian Mini 1000 and am trying to get it back on the road. I need help identifying the carb that came with the carb:

350a2saigc621.jpg

I thought this came off a Datsun, and is related to the Hitachi carbs (those have rectangular outlets, this one doesn't), but a Datsun parts supplier said it doesn't look like a Datsun part. Also, the fuel bowl has a brass float.

I need to get new gaskets and a fuel bowl nozzle (is this the same on all SU carbs?) but I can't find any model that has 4 screw for the dashpot and the fuel bowl.

by the way, the coil on the dashpot is a heater coil. It came on Canadian Minis to help start in the cold weather. Pretty cool.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,951 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

I'm not super familiar with them, but I'm pretty sure that is a Hitachi CD Carb, though it maybe a type that wasn't fitted to any of the Datsun models.

The heater is a nice feature, and was also available for SUs.

While the Hitachi is a good quality Carb, one down side of them is the lack of Needle Profiles for tuning them. They were never fitted to the Mini as standard and as a result, you may find obtaining a Needle that would suit the 998 engine quite a mission.

#3 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:03 PM

As Moke mentions, the parts availability is hard on these carbs

The Chinese replicated them when the SU plant closed in Birmingham England, they needed something close to the originals and this is what was produced

They pop up very very occasionally at the odd auto jumbles here in the UK but you will be hard pushed to find any spares unfortunately

#4 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:19 PM

Hitachi manufactured carbs for many Nissan models (Datsun Z range, Sunny range etc).

Both A series engines & SU carbs were licensed in Japan but they became so far removed from the originals that only the SU needles will fit your car.

Yours looks very similar to a Datsun 1200 Hitachi A12S carb.... if you have a trawl through this site you might be able to workout which one it is & find the part numbers you need

http://datsun1200.co...tachi_Twin_Carb

#5 richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:14 PM

Talking about these, I found a carb on E-Bay,  link underneath, You should be ok to buy it and have it posted if they will as it is brand new and never had petrol in it or through it

Just a quick note to mention, I have a good selection of 2nd hand needles, all good, so it could save you a fortune on newly priced needles and save on shipping costs from some of the new part companies

https://www.ebay.co....RZoYf:rk:5:pf:0

Give it a go !

Edited by richmondclassicsnorthwales, 01 January 2019 - 08:20 PM.

#6 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

Thank you for the replies!

@Itsaminithing I think you are correct. It definitely looks like a Datsun 1200/210 carb that came on the Datsun A12S engine. It seems like regular carbs for the Datsun came with an idle mixture system (IMS) which mine doesn't have, so possibly making it a Datsun Competition carb:

Datsun Competition (Nissan Competition) sold a open-vented, non-IMS, twin carb system.

http://datsun1200.co...ition_Flat-Tops

I'll see if I can find more about this. Part numbers for the non-IMS carb are:

16010-H2336 38MM SU CARB (FRONT)
16010-H2337 38MM SU CARB (REAR)

by the way, what makes a carb an "emission carb"? I will have to get the car smogged to register in California so will be sorting the smog pump system later (will make a separate post for this), but want to know what part the carburetor plays in this. The only thing I can think of is venting the fuel bowl into the air filter box. The vent is blocked on my car but I plan to add a vent tube to it. This, however, does not really affect the smog test, but is a good to have imo. 

Can anyone tell me what these two are:

08VmRPp.jpg

The top part is on the manifold and has a wire connector on it. 

The bottom one looks like a broken vacuum thing?

#7 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 09:45 PM

Talking about these, I found a carb on E-Bay,  link underneath, You should be ok to buy it and have it posted if they will as it is brand new and never had petrol in it or through it

Just a quick note to mention, I have a good selection of 2nd hand needles, all good, so it could save you a fortune on newly priced needles and save on shipping costs from some of the new part companies

Give it a go !

Thank you. I'll hit you up if I need to get a needle or other parts. 

#8 richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:35 PM

Yes, I have a good selection of  needles, you will end up paying silly money for a new one with postage on a needle ,  otherwise, glad to help

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,951 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:35 PM

Give it a go !

Yes, that does certainly appear to be it !!

#10 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:16 PM

Thank you for the replies!

@Itsaminithing I think you are correct. It definitely looks like a Datsun 1200/210 carb that came on the Datsun A12S engine. It seems like regular carbs for the Datsun came with an idle mixture system (IMS) which mine doesn't have, so possibly making it a Datsun Competition carb:

Datsun Competition (Nissan Competition) sold a open-vented, non-IMS, twin carb system.

http://datsun1200.co...ition_Flat-Tops

I'll see if I can find more about this. Part numbers for the non-IMS carb are:

16010-H2336 38MM SU CARB (FRONT)
16010-H2337 38MM SU CARB (REAR)

by the way, what makes a carb an "emission carb"? I will have to get the car smogged to register in California so will be sorting the smog pump system later (will make a separate post for this), but want to know what part the carburetor plays in this. The only thing I can think of is venting the fuel bowl into the air filter box. The vent is blocked on my car but I plan to add a vent tube to it. This, however, does not really affect the smog test, but is a good to have imo. 

Can anyone tell me what these two are:

08VmRPp.jpg

The top part is on the manifold and has a wire connector on it. 

The bottom one looks like a broken vacuum thing?

Thanks guys. Any thoughts on what these two parts are?

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,951 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:56 PM

The lower of the two is a Throttle Damper. When you take your foot off the pedal quickly, that slows it it coming back to an Idle position for about the last 1/8" or there abouts.

It was fitted as part of the Emission Controls, however, in your case, the part that would have been fitted to the throttle shaft seems to be missing, so it would be doing nothing.

The other item I'm not sure of, but would say it too is for Emission Control.

#12 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:33 AM

Ah that's good. So there's something that connects to the throttle linkage that's missing? That would explain why I can't get the throttle return spring correctly attached. It just doesn't pull the throttle all the way back to idle. I was thinking of welding a bracket on the valve cover to attach the spring to...

#13 richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:38 AM

I would go with Moke on that too,

Just the same with the larger circle of the 2, just can,t work out what that is, never seen anything of the sort

#14 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,951 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:37 AM

I would go with Moke on that too,

Just the same with the larger circle of the 2, just can,t work out what that is, never seen anything of the sort

I'm just wondering if it might be an anti-run on valve or thermostat for the bell chamber heater? It looks like it has a wire hanging off it. It also looks like it has a port on it too ??? but appears small.

#15 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:48 AM

The wire hanging off looks like a ground to me, but there also appears to be a male spade terminal to the front.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users