16 replies to this topic

#1 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:35 PM

well sunshine and me have not long got back from a scorture of a weekend down in kent.
sunshine took misty down for another show (im jelous didn't take mine this time).
we went down friday afternoon and found a nice quiet spot in the family section (yeah right), with a bit of extra room nowing there were going to be about 10 forum members there, (where were you), we did meet up with tipcat, who had braught his mini down, on the saturday morning, and we spent most of saturday looking for mini clairs nice beast( but it broke down :sad: so she had to go there in the metro) hence why we didn't find her until sunday.
we had a good wonder around all weekend looking at some of the mini's that were there, and the show was well organised as for things to do, with a bit of slipping of timetable, but that has to be expected.
i enjoyed what i saw and will probably go back next year(weather we take kids next year is a differant story)
there was a good sullection af auto jumble and trade stands there, and i did buy a few bits for the mini, a boot carpet, RC40 exhaust, and another drivers door hinge just in case i couldn't clean up the one i baught during the week.
took lots of pics of some cool mini's so look out soon in the gallery for all teh pics taken.

all in all Sunshine and I had a great time, even with the kids first camping experiance, meeting another great member was as brill as allways, shame we didn't see anyone else, did look for stickers, so come on people getting buying them and stick them on your cars so we can find you in future.

#2 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:07 PM

Had a successful and highly entertaining weekend! The members of SMAC had a great time!

However, the parents amongst the group did express their concerns over the two stalls in the arena which were selling not only BB guns (which in themselves are dangerous around young children) but also Samurai Swords! Some members of other clubs and some of the traders mentioned this in conversation as well! Do you think that this was a prudent move considering the Family Orientation of the event!

Never-the-less everything else was excellent as usual!

#3 tipcat

tipcat

Pancake King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Local Club:

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:47 AM

It was an excellent weekend! I express sincere thanks to Cowboy and Sunshine for letting me share their BBQ on Saturday! And it was good to put faces to names! I was worried about the BB guns - especially two stalls selling them. Maybe the organisers of next year's event should try to vet the traders... Overall, it was a very well-organised event - the kids on motorbikes put on a great show! For anyone who thought about going, but didn't - there were somewhere around 1000 Minis or more there - every size, shape and description - including a Mini Moke fully equipped with sails and Christmas lights! Even the 45 minutes it took to get over the Dartford Crossing (watching my temp indicator climbing all the time! :D ) didn't spoil it! Well worth a trip - oh, and Cowboy, Sunshine - your kids weren't THAT bad, considering the heat and all! :erm: :D

#4 JamesM

JamesM

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:07 AM

We had a great weekend as well. Sorry we didn't see you down there.

The crossing at Dartford was pretty bad for us to, but we arrived Saturday afternoon and had a few drinks, bit of a boogy. Glow show was great.

Won Concourse on Sunday with Dad's car, got burnt but loved the whole event.

The only down side for me was teh idiot doing the rolling road, remember them and never use them.

A split fuel line on the way home added to the excitment, but well organized, we will go again.

#5 Brawlyrox

Brawlyrox

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,066 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish MOC

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:58 AM

Shame i missed it, sounds like you all had a cracking time!! Is this a roll on the next 1? and what was the quality of the show stands like?

#6 minifun

minifun

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:30 AM

I got flyered at southern so am new to this site!!
Southern is an event I do every year!!
Had a great time, spent most of the weekend tearing around in a shabby satin black MK1 squirting people with water pistols so you may have seen me!!
Show was good, guess I do too many mini shows so get bored of looking at trade stands unless I need anything but from what I saw there was a good selection of stuff!!
As someone else metioned the kids on motorbikes were ace!
A great weekend all round!!
See ya around!
Ems
minifun
:D

#7 tipcat

tipcat

Pancake King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Local Club:

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:11 AM

...they're starting to come in! Welcome on board, minifun... Cowboy's kids strike again! Cowboy and Sunshine trained the kiddies right - they sticker'd any Mini they saw - including mine (twice!) and all the car at Anglia Mini Club's site - within a few minutes of them setting up! Better than TV at keeping kids occupied! :D

#8 Pippy

Pippy

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:17 AM

SMOD ruled - I had a brilliant time!!

As JamesM said we were so chuffed when his dad won new Mini concours, really topped off our Weekend.

We went, we drank, we danced, we BBQ'ed, we drank a bit more, we danced a bit more, chucked some marshmallows around & went on the dodgems when we were drunk.

Bloomin' magic!! Still on a bit of a high :D Also still trying to rehydrate myself :tongue: :D

#9 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:50 PM

yeah excellent show, loved it. Its the 14th anniversary of the show running.

i have lots of pics over 100 digital pics and mini videos of the show.

Click HERE to see the my pics of the show.

Im very tired so havent done a report for the show, enjoy the pics, comments welcome.

#10 hatchet

hatchet

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:37 PM

The only down side for me was teh idiot doing the rolling road, remember them and never use them.

Did you have a bad experience on the rolling road??

I stuck my Cooper on the rolling road mainly to see if they could adjust the mixture for me. Unfortunately they didn't have a gas analyser so they just adjusted it from pure experience and feel of the car. I've just replaced my twins with a single HIF44 which was running mega-rich. They then did a power run which produced a very impressive 103BHP. I was amazed as I was only expecting around 85-90BHP. Maybe my engine's hiding something. As far as I'm aware its the original 1275 Cooper engine with a stge 1 kit and single HIF44 carb. Does anyone know if this set up would produce these kind of results (103BHP)???

#11 mini_claire

mini_claire

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 11:25 PM

:D :D :D :) i hate my mini :) ;) :angry: :crazy: it always lets me down lately dont think it loves me no more ^_^ :alien:

new engine time me thinks getting a bit old and knackered done well tho considering its an olden... felt a right idiot in my met-rot!!!!!

sunshine and cowboy,, soz about the phone thing put a new batery in when i got home and it was fine so obviously the batery was knakered.. your little ones did brill the heat was horendous and i died twice of hot things :sad:

wasnt happy about the bb guns either didnt fancy getting little dings in my scabby met-rot although i was tempted to buy one to shoot the dog that lives next door and keeps barking till the guy told me the best one i wanted was 65 squid :saywhat:

brill show as always although the meal was a bit of a let down this year (pie mash and mushy peas) previous years meals have been yum..

watch this space for new engine details hopefully get one soon :D

#12 JamesM

JamesM

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:45 AM

ROLLING ROAD

I watch about 3 or 4 cars on there as did a friend who is a mechanic.

Between us we saw 6 cars blow a variety of gaskets pipes and all because he was running them to much to long. Did you watch the rev's. The ones we saw were in the red and for a while to. The power has peaked and ebbed off and he was still hammering them.

No fans to push fresh air through on such a hot day, meant the engines were already hot and he couldn't even tie them down the right way, if the were standing at the front of yoru car, you were lucky your car didn't jump the rollers.

I heard him lie a couple of time sto people, saying well tah happened AFTER we took teh power off. What a load of tosh. I stood there and watched and then complained to SMOC. It was a shame as they had organized such a great event but this guy really spoiled it for me.

#13 JamesM

JamesM

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:13 PM

See the report and pictures at

SMOD Report For Saffron Mini's

A great wekeend had by all, Thank you SMOC

#14 ppopsie

ppopsie

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:18 PM

:cool: Well we all enjoyed ourselves. It was our 4th SMD's and certainly the best. For me "Sump" was the highlight. I am just amazed at the amount of effort that the team must put in to organise a show like that -well done.
Big gripe was the state of the toilet block. Surely the Hop Farm could clean it out. We were at The Riviera Run in May and the camp site staff at Newquay were forever tidying up and cleaning. I am amazed that no one contracted dysentry at Beltring!
I was a bit disappointed with the road run which was just a trundle up to the main road and back. We have had nice jaunts round the country lanes before, but it must be difficult to go somewhere different each year.
Can I buy a new exhaust somewhere to replace mine - it took a hell of a bashing on those speed humps - anyone else have trouble.
I didn't try the guy with the rolling road - it sounds as if that was just as well.
I took ear defenders so had a decent nights sleep despite you wild young things partying till dawn!!
Little niggles apart then, a jolly good weekend. See you all next year.

#15 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:49 PM

I had great fun especially as I bought this:

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users