#1 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:04 PM

Hello all

I've decided to start writing a thread about the restoration of my 1988 Austin Mini Desinger. 

I bought the car three years ago as a non runner but. I'd previously considered buying it a year earlier when it was running but the owner decided to keep it at the time. When the opportunity came along to buy it again I jumped at the chance.

The car is for my wife but its going to be me doing most of the work on it  :proud: . The plan is to develop my skills on this mini so that I'm ready for when the time comes to do more work on my 1998 MPI Cooper.

I've made some videos and uploaded them to Youtube to detail my progress. I'm hoping to update this thread and upload more videos as the project progresses.

Wish me luck!

Edited by gbt100, 26 March 2019 - 10:22 PM.

#2 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:04 PM

I've made some more progress on the Designer. I've finally gor around to welding on the driver's side jacking point.

I'm finally getting some structural strength back into the drivers side still. I'll soon be able to get the outer sill on and then crack on with the passenger side.

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 08:10 PM

A designer is on my list of Mini's to own in the future along with an Advantage and sky blue/rose.

Good luck with your project.

Ben

#4 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:52 AM

More progress made. I've plug welded on the outer sill and I'm really quite happy with how it went. I was expecting to blow loads of holes in it but I must have had the welder in the sweet spot as I had no problems. Either that or it will fall off the first time that I take it down the road!

Edited by gbt100, 20 July 2019 - 06:41 PM.

#5 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:50 PM

More progress this weekend on Project Designer.

I've now started on the passenger side and I've removed the outer sill which was completely rotten. The inner sills weren't too bad considering, most of the rot was towards the front of the car. The next steps are to replace the passenger side door step, replace the jacking point and then fit a new heritage outer sill.

#6 TheNovice

TheNovice

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:47 PM

Be nice to have another designer on the road! I’ve got one and hoping to paint it in the summer as the paint is ok just abit tired looking lol

#7 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

I've been making more progress on the Designer but the going is slow! I've got the passenger side jacking point welded in now and I'm quite happy with the reapir that I've made to the step. 

The next stage will be to get the outer sill on.

#8 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:58 AM

More progress.

I finally got around to welding on the passenger side outer sill. For me this is a great achievement as I'm now happy with the strength of the body shell. I now need to tackle all of the other issues - passenger side A panel and wing, front end, valances, wheel arches, boot floor.....

#9 theclassicminishop

theclassicminishop

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Local Club: MOCSA

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:07 AM

Great job on the mini.  Keep it up.

#10 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:31 AM

Good work mate, maybe a little late for your sills but tek screws are your friend, you can pick a load up cheaply from ebay and they'd clamp the outer to the inner nice and tight for the plug welds. Then weld the holes up once removed. I used them all over my build

#11 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:53 AM

I've been making the most of the current lockdown by repairing my A panel. It is the first time that I've tackled something like this before and I was really happy with the results. I'm no professional!

#12 RustyAutoCityE

RustyAutoCityE

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 03:47 PM

Great progress you are making, I have a couple of rusty A-panels to deal with down the line.

Looking forward to the next video.

#13 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:27 PM

A quick progress update. I've been busy working on some other broken cars but I have found some time to get into the garage. I've removed the passenger side wing and I was quite surprised by the condition of the inner wing. It had some surface corrosion but is solid which is a relief. A minor repair is required to the closing panel next to the bulkhead but this should be an easy fix.

#14 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:09 AM

I've been using lockdown to make some more progress on Project Designer. This time around it was a repair to the bulkhead, scuttle and closing panel. I'm happy with how the progress is going and I'm looking forward to getting the new wing on. However before that I need to see how rusty the front end is.

#15 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:55 PM

Preparing for the passenger side wing installation. Removing and treating rust plus removing part of the rusty front end whilst the access is good

Edited by gbt100, 06 July 2020 - 07:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users