33 replies to this topic

#16 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM

I finally got the new wing installed and I was really pleased with how it went. It is really satisfying when you tackle a difficult job, learn new skills and do a half decent job :-)

Lots more work still to do!

#17 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:10 AM

It has been a while since I last posted an update but the progress has been slow and steady.

I replaced the passenger side front quarter and I was really happy with the results. The repair panel was a good fit and it looked right :-)

I then set to and started replacing the front valance. This is where the problems started! The passenger side was an easy repair but by the time that I got to the drivers side I realised that things were more rusty than first thought. In hindsight I should have put a whole new front panel on but I'm committed to separate repairs now so I'm going to make my initial plan work. Lesson learnt, I know for next time!

#18 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 07:28 AM

Great work.

#19 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 09:01 PM

It's been a while since I posted an update. Whilst filming the last video it dawned on me that I should have just put a new front end on. However I was committed to doing the corners one side at a time so I continued down that route.

I don't think that it worked out too bad considering. Onwards and upwards!

#20 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 08:47 PM

Rite of passage achieved this weekend - rear subframe removal!

It didn't go to badly, only two bolts sheared off. I reckon that I'll be able to get them out (figers crossed).

#21 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 09:25 AM

I've been making the most of those days between Christmas and New Year when nobody really knows what day it is.

The plan was to remove the rusty rear subframe bolts which had sheared off when I was removing the frame. I thought that this would be an easy task but it soon escalated!

I found that the captive nuts had failed on both sides which meant that a repair to the heel board was required. I’m still impressed by the lack of rust on the heel board.

Hopefully I’ll make some more progress before I’ve got to go back to work

#22 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:00 PM

A bit more progress made this weekend. I did a bit of digging around to see how bad the rust was ar the rear end.  It's a bit odd; the wheelarch is gone as expected but the battery box is solid. Normally these are the first things to go, maybe it had been replaced in the past.

Unfortunately I've found some big rust patch on the boot floor / rear seat base area. I'm actually glad that I found it as it is right next to the rear seat belt mounts. There must be a moisture trap between the sub-frame and the body.

The thumbnail makes it look a lot worse than it actually is!

Edited by gbt100, 18 January 2021 - 08:01 PM.

#23 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 January 2021 - 09:16 PM

It dawned on me that I never posted my latest video! In this video I tackle a mess repair to the boot floor and the rear seat base.

More problems are lurcking on the drivers side. 

Edited by gbt100, 07 February 2021 - 09:45 PM.

#24 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 08:18 PM

Hi all

Hope that lockdown boredom is not getting to you and that you are making progress with your mini projects.

I decided to set to and remove the driver’s side wheel arch from Project Designer. It took a bit of getting out but it was worth it as more rust was uncovered. It is all fixable and probably easier to do know anyway with the wheel arch out.  I've got a new heritage arch to go back in, but I reckon that won't be until a couple of videos time.

I am having a bit of a push to get some more subscribers at the moment so if you like what you see then click the subscribe button please! When I set out making videos it was because I was spending a lot of time watching other people's videos and I thought "I could do that". It’s actually quite addictive once you get into it.

#25 Blake71

Blake71

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:40 PM

Cracking job. I've been following this on Youtube  :-)

#26 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 01:50 PM

Cracking job. I've been following this on Youtube  :-)

Thanks, I appreciate it!

#27 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:54 PM

I managed to get some more welding gas last week which meant that I could crack on with some work at the weekend.

After spending a bit of time off camera fettling the wheel arch and getting the fit right I decided to get it welded in. I've heard that people have problems with the arches and I can see why, they are quite fidly and difficult to get aligned.

I don't think that I made too bad of a job of it. Lots of tidying up still to do along with paint and seam sealing but it is a big step forwards.

Edited by gbt100, 06 April 2021 - 07:56 PM.

#28 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 07:53 PM

Hello all

A bit more progress made this week. Basically I finished off the bits that I could not be bothered doing in the previous video! I got the final welding complete, got it all seam sealed and painted with red oxide. I'm really happy with the fit, not perfect but good enough.

Although I did find another rusty part of the boot floor which needs attention. Still, it is a step in the right direction.

#29 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 May 2021 - 06:13 PM

Hello all

Some more small steps have been made with the rust elimination.

I fabricated a repair patch for the boot floor and I tried to make it look as subtle as I could. Not quite a hidden repair but close to it. It will be hidden by the fuel tank anyway.

Just as I was finishing that off I started poking around at some previous accident damage in the boot floor. There was a small pinhole that I’d thought gob a bit of weld on – bad move! The floor disintegrated and the hole got much bigger. So I ended up putting a patch repair on that part too.

I was quite happy with the end result. As I always say, I’m not a professional 😊

#30 gbt100

gbt100

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 07:53 PM

I've been busy with life so not much progress has been made lately. But I have had two wins!

I got it running for the first time in 3 years. I was really pleased with how well it ran, no funny smells or smoke coming from anywhere it shouldn't.

The second win was that I had 500 subscribers on my Youtube channel. This has blown my mind that there are over 500 people watching and enjoying my videos :-)  Thank you to everyone on here who has subscribed, if you haven't then why not?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users