#1 paulfoel

paulfoel

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

Is this true?

It WAS a nice one with Air Con which is rare. Yet I'm being told that the import ones are worth much less because they are a PITA.

#2 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

I think it depends on who you ask and where the car is to  be run...... here in the US they like them for the A/C.....

#3 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:00 AM

My '98 JDM is definitely not a PITA!

It's basically an MPi with an SPi throttle body and air-con, built on the same production line as the UK MPi's but to a spec for the Japanese market.

#4 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:23 AM

Is this true?

It WAS a nice one with Air Con which is rare. Yet I'm being told that the import ones are worth much less because they are a PITA.

..wouldn't be someone who may be wanting to take it off your hands who's telling you this ? 

#5 paulfoel

paulfoel

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

Is this true?

..wouldn't be someone who may be wanting to take it off your hands who's telling you this ? 

Funny you should say that... It is but the guy is pretty decent so I'm sure hes not totally taking the p. Maybe just a personal opinion.

#6 paulfoel

paulfoel

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

I think it depends on who you ask and where the car is to  be run...... here in the US they like them for the A/C.....

Im in the UK. To be honest, that was the one selling point when we bought it - the AC.

#7 paulfoel

paulfoel

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:27 AM

My '98 JDM is definitely not a PITA!

It's basically an MPi with an SPi throttle body and air-con, built on the same production line as the UK MPi's but to a spec for the Japanese market.

Dunno what mine is but its deffo a Japanese one with AC. 

#8 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

There is an underlying "thing" in the UK scene that re-imported Japanese/JDM cars are worth around 15-25% less than UK models. I've seen it quoted in many mags and had it quoted at me too on sites and in person.

No one has ever been able to substantiate to me why that is but somehow it is said to be true. I don't think I've seen it reflected in prices of Mini's that change hand either.

I think there's a few things that might add up to supporting the thinking and if you own the car in question you'll know these already, but for the sake of discussion...

- JDM Mini's come with some parts that aren't standard on UK cars. That means not everything on a JDM is in the Haynes manual. Air Con is the most known of those. The AC kit works well but it seriously adds to the engine bay clutter and means that the dash etc is different to UK, adds weight too. Speedo is KPH too. To some that all might be PITA but to others they're cool!

- There's a smidgeon of snobbery around having a Mini that is born and lived in the UK. Added to that, some folks think that JDM Minis aren't real Mini's because they believe they were all 'made in Japan', totally untrue but a few people have sworn blind to me that Japan mini's were made under license in Japan :D.

On the flip side, Japanese Mini's on the whole have been well cared for so, they wont be rust free but they do seem to be in better nick than the same age Mini's who've lived in the UK all their lives.

Any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But if someone is trying to lop off £ of your asking price just because its a JDM that's not how it works, I wouldn't accept that myself.

And for full disclosure...I help run a dedicated JDM Mini Facebook group, so I am biased :) (I love my JDM 96 Cooper!)

#9 paulfoel

paulfoel

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:56 PM

There is an underlying "thing" in the UK scene that re-imported Japanese/JDM cars are worth around 15-25% less than UK models. I've seen it quoted in many mags and had it quoted at me too on sites and in person.

No one has ever been able to substantiate to me why that is but somehow it is said to be true. I don't think I've seen it reflected in prices of Mini's that change hand either.

I think there's a few things that might add up to supporting the thinking and if you own the car in question you'll know these already, but for the sake of discussion...

- JDM Mini's come with some parts that aren't standard on UK cars. That means not everything on a JDM is in the Haynes manual. Air Con is the most known of those. The AC kit works well but it seriously adds to the engine bay clutter and means that the dash etc is different to UK, adds weight too. Speedo is KPH too. To some that all might be PITA but to others they're cool!

- There's a smidgeon of snobbery around having a Mini that is born and lived in the UK. Added to that, some folks think that JDM Minis aren't real Mini's because they believe they were all 'made in Japan', totally untrue but a few people have sworn blind to me that Japan mini's were made under license in Japan :D.

On the flip side, Japanese Mini's on the whole have been well cared for so, they wont be rust free but they do seem to be in better nick than the same age Mini's who've lived in the UK all their lives.

Any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. But if someone is trying to lop off £ of your asking price just because its a JDM that's not how it works, I wouldn't accept that myself.

And for full disclosure...I help run a dedicated JDM Mini Facebook group, so I am biased :) (I love my JDM 96 Cooper!)

Cheers Pops.

Yeh to be honest having AC and the kph speedo we thought was cool. Know what you mean about packing it in the engine bay though. Same with the passenger footwell.

#10 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:50 PM

If someone is trying to knock the price right down simply because it's an import tell them to jog on.

#11 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

I've swapped my kph speedo for a mph version, direct swap.

#12 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:44 PM

I'd value every mini on condition, a lot of people tell you that they tend to have less rust but a lot of them have been in the UK a long time now and are just as rusty, I think they rubbed every mpi body in salt before painting them regardless of which country they were destined for!

For me personally I'd rather not have another injection mini, there's just too much stuff on them.

#13 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:49 PM

This is probably my ignorance but is insurance a factor with imports? Ie is insurance more difficult to get/ more expensive which puts people not in the know off.

I am under this impression but I’m not sure if it is true or why

#14 evilpen14

evilpen14

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Local Club: CCC and RAF Mini Club

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:35 PM

I've never seen a cheaper jdm mini they all seem to be more expensive compared to UK cars.

#15 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 06:56 AM

This is probably my ignorance but is insurance a factor with imports? Ie is insurance more difficult to get/ more expensive which puts people not in the know off.

I am under this impression but I’m not sure if it is true or why

Not that I've noticed on my mini. Mine does have that it's a Japanese import stated on the insurance details, they come from DVLA registration but I've never had to pay a premium for it being a Japanese import not has it caused an insurer to suck air through their teeth. 

They seem to be treated like a Mini :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users