5 replies to this topic

#1 min101

min101

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:37 PM

Hi all. New to this forum and a total novice at electrical problems. I am in the final stages of restoring a 1986 Mayfair. Managed to get most of the electrics working but headlights, sidelights & fog-light not playing ball. Main beam flash on stalk works but no power seems to be getting to the dash switch for the lights. I have changed the switch and the 3-pin socket & wiring loom 'looks' OK but nothing happens when bridging the sockets with the switch removed. Fuses look OK in the main fuse box. Are there any other fuses related to the headlights that I have missed? The x2 in-line fuses on engine bay bulkhead above the carb' look OK, although one doesn't appear to be getting any power to it when checked with a test light. I have found another in-line fuse holder under the dash with a 3A fuse (radio?) but not spotted any others. Haynes manual talks about a dim-dip relay behind the instrument pod but I have had pod out and can't see any relay behind the instruments so I must be missing something obvious to those in the know. Any suggestions gratefully received as I have run out of ideas.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:12 PM

Change the fuses and clean the terminals on the fuse box with some sand paper, id ask that you change the inline fuses too.

To test the fuses before fitting them, try gently twisting the ends, if they rotate bin the fuse, even if it looks whole internally.

I'd also make sure all the earth points are clean too, check and clean the wiring connections at the front (behind slam panel at alternator)

#3 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:35 AM

If your model has the 4 fuse box then the light switch is not fed from a fuse, it is fed from the live brown wire at the fuse box. The side lights are the only ones fed from the light switch then via a fuse to the tail and front side lights.

The main lights are fed from the light switch via the dip switch and are not fused.

Would help if you looked at the wiring diagram for your particular model.

#4 min101

min101

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. Really appreciated. I’ll try all of them and report back. I have tried to fathom the wiring diagram but struggling to get to grips with it as a novice. Stupid question maybe but Is the dip switch the one on the stalk?

#5 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:15 PM

Dip switch is the one on the stalk; pushed forward brights on (blue/white wire), pulled backwards dims on (Blue/red wire) and pulled all the way back the brights will flash.

#6 min101

min101

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:49 PM

Update. Removed fuse box & cleaned contacts. Changed all fuses and cleaned earth points, Checked the connections at the front behind the grille. Still no joy. Maybe I’m missing an in-line fuse? There are x2 on the bulkhead in the engine bay and only 1 that I can find under the dash inside the cabin that just feeds the radio. Were there more fitted to cars from 1986, and if so where are they hidden?! Really struggling to figure out what it could be now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users