#1 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Local Club: Vancouver Mini Club

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:19 PM

My built in Australia 1973 Mini originally had points distributor, remote solenoid and inertia starter....

The Solenoid wiring trigger wire White/Red trace coming straight from Ignition Switch to the WIDE BLADE on the Solenoid.

OZ Mini NOW has 123 Distributor (fully electronic), Pertronix coil...AND is getting a new Starter (for new flywheel) with 'piggy-backed' Solenoid.

Since the new solenoid is no longer just a relay, I understand that I need to wire in a Relay triggered by White/Red trace from ignition switch so as not to overload the switch etc.

So, I have wired in a Relay triggered by W/R with the relay receiving power (B) from the main terminal on the solenoid and sending power BR to the solenoid.

QUESTION - does the trigger wire (BR) from the new relay go to the Wide Blade on the new solenoid/starter unit?

ALSO, with the new distributor & coil, I presume that:

a)  the coil can receive a full 12 volts from the ignition keyed fuse box  CORRECT?

b)  there is no need to send full 12 v from solenoid to coil  CORRECT?

Thanks,

Hunter2 

(from British Columbia on the West Coast of Canada

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:35 PM

White/ red wire goes to the large terminal on the pre engaged starter solenoid.

In my experience (of A+ engines, so alternator instead of dynamo) youll need a 12 volt supply to the coil, whether keyed or not (someone more experienced with your set up can confirm, or correct me)

Hope my ramblings make sense

Kind regards from a warm Scotland

Cal

#3 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:09 AM

Thanks Call,

I also sent out this question to a few Mini mechanics on this side of the Atlantic and they agreed with my personal conclusions (answers Yes, Yes, Yes).

Unfortunate that NO info came with the starter/solenoid unit...and none readily available from the major suppliers in UK or major retailers of Mini parts in North America.  The starter/solenoid unit could be used in a variety of set ups.

The starter/solenoid unit could be used with fully electronic ignition or not.  This starter was sourced because I had also gone to a lightweight flywheel & back plate combination with different ring gear.

Rick

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,937 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

just add this for info

http://www.theminifo...-to-pre-engaged

the later solenoid can be used just the same but I do like using the old one as a power distribution block.

#5 Hunter2

Hunter2

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:48 AM

Thanks Nicklouse!

That is where I got to...eventually.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic