#1 shish_happens

shish_happens

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

Hi all,

Just got my first project a few days ago and have been trying to get it started however the previous owner unplugged everything in the engine bay when he planned to strip it down and restore it. But thats about all he ended up doing to it. I've been looking online and at the haynes manual for the right diagram but I can't seem to find the exact one. Diagram 18 in the haynes looks as though it would be right, but coming off my distributor I've got one white/black wire and a white wire which isn't on any of the late wiring diagrams from what I can see. The white/yellow wire that I'm supposed to be seeing coming off the starter solenoid is no where to be found. Also the pink/white wire going to the ignition coil is also no where that I can find. But coming from the alternator is two brown and a brown/yellow. So I'm at a little bit of a loose end with my limited knowledge. Should I just buy a new loom? Or is there a diagram out there somewhere?

If this has been discussed already I'll take this down but I couldn't find anything exact from searching

Thanks  :proud:

#2 jonsharman

jonsharman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:30 PM

What year is the car?

Sounds like you are looking at a diagram for a Ballast ignition when your loom is for a non-Ballast.

#3 shish_happens

shish_happens

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:54 PM

What year is the car?

Sounds like you are looking at a diagram for a Ballast ignition when your loom is for a non-Ballast.

Car is an L reg so registered in 1993? I've got the VIN as well but not sure how to read it

#4 jonsharman

jonsharman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:08 PM

Try over the page on 12A.40 and 12.41 - from what you describe that looks more like it.

#5 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:10 PM

Have a look here, http://www.theminifo...agrams-redrawn/

Check under  From Rover repair manual AKM 7169 1992 - 1996

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:20 PM

The distributor wires need connected to the coil. White goes to coil+ white/black goes to coil -

The wiring diagram you are looking at is mostly correct for your car, however the pink/White is replaced by a standard(non resistive 12v white wire) yellow/white isn't fitted.

You will also have 4 fuses behind the speedo cluster for the headlights

#7 shish_happens

shish_happens

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:25 PM

Try over the page on 12A.40 and 12.41 - from what you describe that looks more like it.

Just had a look, it looks pretty similar but cant see anything of a white/black and a white wire coming off the distributor? I see a white/black and a white coming off the purge value but mine is a carburetor 998 not fuel injected? Again I could be missing something

#8 shish_happens

shish_happens

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:29 PM

The distributor wires need connected to the coil. White goes to coil+ white/black goes to coil -

The wiring diagram you are looking at is mostly correct for your car, however the pink/White is replaced by a standard(non resistive 12v white wire) yellow/white isn't fitted.

You will also have 4 fuses behind the speedo cluster for the headlights

Thanks for the info not sure how I'd find this out otherwise. I'll follow this and see how I get on. I'm assuming the + side is the side labelled "BAT" aswell?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users