#1 MarkC123

MarkC123

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

Hello all, 

As always thanks in advance for the replies! I am planning on bringing my 1996 Rover Mini SPI to Kilbroney Vintage Show 2019, in Northern Ireland (Im based in the Republic). Generally speaking the car runs grand but very occassionally it gets the slight hesistation after starting up and clutching in (I've read sprockets guide and still figuring out the issue I think it could be the MAP sensor) 

It's about 130km up and the same back, so I will be doing a good bit of distance compared to my usual sunday driving. I was hoping to get some suggestions as to any bits or bobs I should change prior to the journey. 

In the last year I have purchased a new altenator, battery, spark plugs / performance HT leads, fuel trap intake, Stage 1 Kit from Maniflow. 

I did a complete overhaul of the suspension which included new doughnuts all round, hi lows, kyb adjustable shocks, camber plates, adjustable tie rods, negative bottom arms, tear drops and polybush tie rod bushes / bottom arm bushes. In addition to this I switched to 10" wheels and ended up switching to the 7.5" cooper s brake setup on the front (drums on back). 

When I bought the car it still had most of its original parts and I doubt very much has been changed. As such, I understand that if it ain't broke don' fix it, but I'm doing this as more of a ''pre-emptive strike". 

Is there any parts / suggestions or tips on things I should periodically replace / check etc ? I'm a novice but I'm learning as I go along so any help would be greatly appreciated. Changing the fuel / oil filter myself next week and sticking on a decat pipe is my next plan. 

Thanks 

Attached Files

#2 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:43 PM

If you can say hand on heart that it is running well then I wouldn't start changing things just before a journey like that

#3 paulg027

paulg027

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Local Club: Tamar Historic Transport Club

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:12 PM

I agree with 62S, I wouldn't go changing anything ad-lib if the car runs well.  Just give it a thorough service and only replace any components that need replacing if there is play/wear etc.  Just make sure you have some breakdown cover just in case and enjoy the trip!

Edited by paulg027, 29 May 2019 - 06:12 PM.

#4 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

Sounds like your hands on, and when something needs repair, you do it, and you also keep it serviced,  which is great.

Having done plenty of long haul runs in a Mini myself / ourselves,  staying on top of the oil and water is key

One thing I have done on all the Leyland classics we have owned,  is run an oil cooler.  I have run them all with no thermostat since the 1980,s and when the weather ever went really cold,  I just put a piece of hardboard against the lower half of the front grille, and all has never been finer. One thing to point out,  is I have also done the long hauls back in the early 1982 days without an oil cooler.

Lots will say that you should always run a thermostat inline,  but I never have. Never any bother, never any worn bearings.

Always used a sandwich plate on the filter side with a temperature sender unit,  so you can see how hot your oil is.  With the Mini,  you can run a cooler between the engine and filter with some hoses and a 10 or 13 row. Just something for you to consider, I think they are a God send in the summer.

On another note,  me and Jacqui were over in Ireland last year in our Midget.  We put a good few miles on the clock arriving at Dublin, travelling down to Kilkenny, New Ross, Graiguenamanagh, where Jacqui grew up, also Enniscorthy, A good journey all round,  and it is all flat, which is great,  plus we had marvellous weather.

Ireland has some amazing and fantastic scenery with good flat land.  As 62S says before us, if it is running fine,  leave it be

#5 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

That`s only 80 miles each way so if its running OK then just drive on.

I did 440 miles, 708Km in a day last year going to Castle Combe and back in my daily Mini 1000, most of time at 70 mph and the only preparation was to check the tyre pressures, oil and water.

#6 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:15 PM

Christ, I did 300 miles in a night in my mini, the only thing I was worried about was my hearing!

Just make sure your fluids and grease points are good and crack on!

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

If it drives five miles it'll drive five hundred miles.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:07 PM

I used to drive over 25000 miles each year in a Mini.
It is no problem doing an 80 mile journey.
Just drive it and it will be fine. You don't need to hurry, but no-one seems to hurry in Irelamd.

#9 MarkC123

MarkC123

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:19 PM

Great guys thanks for the advice.

I know it’s not far at all in the grand scheme of things but wasn’t sure if there was something I was missing. Need to get the hesitation / stalling sorted and should be perfect .

#10 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

80 mile? Piece of cake in a well serviced mini. I've not even looked at my Clubman Estate in weeks, its getting a charger hooked up, some grease in the nipples and driven next weekend.

Minis are simple motors that can be fixed on the roadside

#11 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

Similar comments to above, check all your basics,get in and drive, my only addition is if fueling don't let it get too low or risk sucking grit into fuel filter ( so carry an extra cheap inline filter. and i always carry some oil for topping up.) - - my first long trip was approximately 2500kms over 3and a bit days. It should have been 3 days but i required a refit of rear exhaust brackets and an altering of ride height to avoid further bottoming out at speed.)   This was mostly 100km/hr with a 3,44 diff-  Two things i should have done---- one improve the front seat padding and more importantly install a second fuel tank.  Stopping every two and a bit hours became choresome. The mini survived unscathed , my backside and ears needed a little time to recover. .There is nothing nicer than the bark of a mini exhaust through the still night air.  (Sydney to Cairns for aussie folk)  and that journey length is put to shame by a number of Moke journeys through lots of Australian outback by other clever BMC enthusiasts. ( i take no credit for the Moke journeys- they were negotiated by travellers clearly affected by inhaling far too much Carbonmonoxide  in their open top MAD endeavours-) 

Enjoy your run.

#12 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:59 AM

My brother and I both had 998 Minis for years in which we each covered thousands of miles in.  His were less than well maintained but were still very reliable. 

Here he is at normal crusing speed on the M23:

Id9JCJy.jpg

It'd go on all day like this winter or summer, no overheating.  The water temperature always read a little over normal as he had a 92oC thermostat stuck in there but it never went any higher.

#13 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

do that every day in my mini :/

nothing to worry about mate

#14 Shep76S

Shep76S

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Local Club: L&SMOC

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:44 PM

My brother and I both had 998 Minis for years in which we each covered thousands of miles in.  His were less than well maintained but were still very reliable. 

Here he is at normal crusing speed on the M23:

Id9JCJy.jpg

It'd go on all day like this winter or summer, no overheating.  The water temperature always read a little over normal as he had a 92oC thermostat stuck in there but it never went any higher.

Is that cruising speed on the back of the trailer?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, brakes, suspension, electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users