6 replies to this topic

#1 zace66

zace66

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

I managed to get the Master Clutch Cylinder out (not an easy task) and have replaced the washers within to stop it from leaking. Now it had been leaking for as while so there is some corrosion underneath.  I managed to pull the gasket out too.

So do i need to buy a new gasket or is there something I can make a gasket out of, after all its just a basic one attaching to the bulkhead?  What are they made out of?

The corrosion - what can I do about that given that I reaslly dont want to take the engine out and do a full rebuild...

Thanks in advance

Chris

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 14 July 2019 - 10:56 PM

You're going to have to neutralise the brake fluid on the metal first or new paint will simply bubble up and fall off.

Brake fluid is the best paint stripper but is a right PITA to get rid of.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 July 2019 - 09:58 AM

You're going to have to neutralise the brake fluid on the metal first or new paint will simply bubble up and fall off.

Brake fluid is the best paint stripper but is a right PITA to get rid of.

That's easy, hot soapy water and a brush

#4 zace66

zace66

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 05:41 PM

ok - hot soapy water - wire brush - what would the next stage be to sort out the corrosion? rust eater? angle grinder if we can get one in there, undercoat? 

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:18 PM

ok - hot soapy water - wire brush - what would the next stage be to sort out the corrosion? rust eater? angle grinder if we can get one in there, undercoat?

Rust eater then high build self etch primer and top coat

#6 zace66

zace66

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:17 AM

so just to update - cleaned off all the gunk - its must have been leaking DOT4 for years - the plate the master cylinder had been standing on had totally corroded away, however the gasket was ok (i did replace it) and the flame red steelwork below was pristine.  However the sound proofing inside was soaked with the brake fluid - so much so I could wring it out to refill bottle - YUCK.

Dropping the clutch cylinder pin when trying to get it back in was a nightmare - that goodness for a gadget i had bough - an endoscope with magnet attachment for my ipad. got it back for nowhere and then installing it and finally refitting a R-clip rather than split pin was NOT fun, but it has been done - the car is driveable again!!!

Note to self - SMALL wire brushes are a godsend.

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:43 AM

Well done !

On early Minis, I used to swap the guts between the clutch and brake master cylinders.

This meant that they could be rotated through 180 degrees, so that the filler cap was in front of the hydraulic pipes;  this made topping up much easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users