#1 locky7101

locky7101

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:27 AM

Hi all, 

Thinking about putting LED headlights into the mini as part of the rebuild, but personally don't like the Wipac ones that I most commonly see. Does anyone have any pics/experience of other LED headlamps they have put onto minis? 

Come across these:

https://www.bowerspa...adlightheadlamp

But struggling to see any examples of them in use. 

Cheers, 

#2 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Local Club: Solihull Mini Classic Club

Posted 24 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

Hello,

I have these lights fitted:

https://www.instagra...id=y5e46sqnyltv

https://www.instagra...id=hajcb99qr1st

There's a couple of photos

:)

#3 locky7101

locky7101

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:12 AM

Hello,

I have these lights fitted:

https://www.instagra...id=y5e46sqnyltv

https://www.instagra...id=hajcb99qr1st

There's a couple of photos

:)

Thanks! 

And how are they performance wise? Would recommend? 

#4 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 11:31 AM

Performance is very good! If you like driving in daylight, then I very much recommend these! They light up roads incredibly well!!

The light they produce is quite weird in a sense, I was driving with a friend, when he asked if I even had them on, so I switched them off, and was instantly plunged into the dark ages, and realized how great they were!

#5 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:42 PM

And they pass the Mot OK? As they are sooo different from standard?

#6 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 06:08 PM

Hi all, 

Thinking about putting LED headlights into the mini as part of the rebuild, but personally don't like the Wipac ones that I most commonly see. Does anyone have any pics/experience of other LED headlamps they have put onto minis? 

Come across these:

Cheers, 

wow ....................................................................are these really £179   EACH ?   love my car, love being seen in my car, love my car being seen BUT £179 EACH???? Phew!

do look nice tho (:

#7 Albino_Hedgehog

Albino_Hedgehog

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:44 PM

And they pass the Mot OK? As they are sooo different from standard?

This one is a bit up in the air...

Technically they meet and exceed the requirements of the MOT. They also use a non-standard, but legal flat beam pattern. Some testers will often forget about this beam pattern.

So on a technical level, yes they are absolutely fine, and will have no issues blinding other drivers and such. However in practice you may have to argue your ground over them and maybe provide the evidence to accompany it!

#8 locky7101

locky7101

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 06:15 AM

Hi all, 

Come across these:

Cheers, 

wow ....................................................................are these really £179   EACH ?   love my car, love being seen in my car, love my car being seen BUT £179 EACH???? Phew!

do look nice tho (:

Yeah the price is off putting and hence the uncertainty on opting for them... Halogens are not off the table by any means

#9 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:29 AM

If you have a look on flee-bay I'm sure you can find them at that price but for both. As long as they are E marked, I'm sure they'll be fine.

#10 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:11 PM

If you have a look on flee-bay I'm sure you can find them at that price but for both. As long as they are E marked, I'm sure they'll be fine.

seen similar items for sale I admit, do these fit direct if so how? or do I have to buy a special adaapter ring to fit them? that's another £30 on top too.

#11 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:24 AM

Well I think you'l Need the original bowl and chrome ring to fit these anyway, right? (not an expert on fitting, so if anyone knows more...)
Never fitted these but I'm going to do it too.
But from what I can gather from Y-tub and stuff is that you just replace the original light unit with the Led version but reuse the original bowl and chrome trim (maybe with slight modification tho)
Don't know or seen a special adapter ring...

Ben

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,931 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:19 PM

Be aware even if sold as MOT. Approved many are not. As one friend just found out.

#13 splintercat

splintercat

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 04:21 PM

Well I think you'l Need the original bowl and chrome ring to fit these anyway, right? (not an expert on fitting, so if anyone knows more...)
But from what I can gather from Y-tub and stuff is that you just replace the original light unit with the Led version but reuse the original bowl and chrome trim (maybe with slight modification tho)

Ben

Just looked closer at a couple of these advertised on flea bay as a classic mini 7" led headlamp, and e-mailed a few of the companies..............they almost  all state somewhere that you ALSO have to buy from them an adapter ring to make em fit, these retail from £9   -      £19.99.....all in the small print I am afraid, either that or you will have to try and adapt them yourself......

Edited by splintercat, 26 July 2019 - 04:22 PM.

#14 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

Ben

Just looked closer at a couple of these advertised on flea bay as a classic mini 7" led headlamp, and e-mailed a few of the companies..............they almost all state somewhere that you ALSO have to buy from them an adapter ring to make em fit, these retail from £9 - £19.99.....all in the small print I am afraid, either that or you will have to try and adapt them yourself......

Well I think adapting things is fun.
I'd like to see there so called adapter plates, sounds a bit odd to me.
But as it's only on the list (very long list) of things I'm putting on my 99mini, I can only speculate.

#15 wassupcrew

wassupcrew

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 06:42 PM

https://www.ebay.co....VAAAOSwixlbYqKn

I have a set of these. fit in a standard plastic bowl with no mods really bright

i would have uploaded pics with the headlight on but they were too big in size. if you want to see the pm me your email and i will send them over

Attached Files

Edited by wassupcrew, 26 July 2019 - 06:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users