16 replies to this topic

#1 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:13 AM

Friends tell me I'm mad, but I've been considering various beige colours for my mini. I had planned for Tweed grey but gone off it a little after seeing so many others.

The issue I have is that you don't see that many in the flesh, or when searching the internet for examples.

I quite like the look of Antelope, but in some photo's it looks so much darker than others. The first two links below show almost exactly the colour I like.....

https://car-from-uk....le.php?id=22177

http://www.percivalm...Cooper_S_Mk111/

but I have seen Antelope look much darker than this. Like this link...

https://www.ebay.co....A-/290353954880

The question is, do you think the first links are a good representation of the colour as BMC intended it?

And has the car on the ebay link just perhaps had a darker mix, or more coats? Darker base coat?

I know the colour is hard to judge on different computer screens, but any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rich.

#2 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:21 AM

I love beige, I've never understood why people knock it.

Not just talking about cars either.

#3 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 11:48 AM

Nowt wrong with beige :mrcool:

Hl4ZcUA.jpg

#4 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:03 PM

Hi! My clubman is painted in BVLC7 antelope beige! Have a look at the later pages of my build thread for pics. Link below.

Mine definitely looks darker than the first two links you posted, but whether that is what was originally intended, I don't know. I have only come across other minis in the same colour that have been resprayed more recently - as opposed to in the original paint from the factory.

Great colour though! My car gets loads of compliments :)

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:21 PM

DVLC called this beige but BL called it sandglow

apDYdXl.jpg

#6 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:23 PM

Nowt wrong with beige :mrcool:

Hl4ZcUA.jpg

Loving that!!

#7 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

Hi! My clubman is painted in BVLC7 antelope beige! Have a look at the later pages of my build thread for pics. Link below.

Mine definitely looks darker than the first two links you posted, but whether that is what was originally intended, I don't know. I have only come across other minis in the same colour that have been resprayed more recently - as opposed to in the original paint from the factory.

Great colour though! My car gets loads of compliments :)

Brilliant, thanks. I had missed your project. Looks a great colour, and nice to see one freshly painted in a paint code that I'm considering. Love it. 

#8 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:16 PM

I quite like the look of Antelope, but in some photo's it looks so much darker than others.....

The question is, do you think the first links are a good representation of the colour....?

Listings are often woefully wrong....

the first car is a Mk2 & the colour looks to be Bedouin -the correct colour for a 1969 Mini.

The 2nd car claims to have been restored in the original 1971 Antelope -which isn't listed as an option for a Mini in the 1970/71 paint charts i've seen.

In theory the 3rd link should be closer to how Antelope should look -a bit too much like baby-poo for my tastes.

#9 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:35 PM

I quite like the look of Antelope, but in some photo's it looks so much darker than others.....

The question is, do you think the first links are a good representation of the colour....?

the first car is a Mk2 & the colour looks to be Bedouin -the correct colour for a 1969 Mini.

The 2nd car claims to have been restored in the original 1971 Antelope -which isn't listed as an option for a Mini in the 1970/71 paint charts i've seen.

In theory the 3rd link should be closer to how Antelope should look -a bit too much like baby-poo for my tastes.

Hmm, I wondered that myself but Bedouin looks much lighter. Common on a lot of MG's when you search the paint code. Some of them look almost white. 

I think my bodyshop is going to be giving me a bill for all the samples I want making up....

#10 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:38 PM

P.S. Baby poo is almost exactly the colour I'm going for. In a tasteful way of course  :D

The colour on Rich2's GT (above) is exactly what I'm after so I just hope BLVC.7 Antelope looks the same for me when it gets mixed.

#11 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:39 PM

This is one of the best Minis I saw in pictures. Don't know the colour

hBkv5Zb.jpg

#12 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:46 PM

Antelope, Beduoin and El Paso all shown on here as 70/71 colours:

http://mk1-performan...k/pdf/70-71.pdf

I'm not fussed about originality. The car will look pretty much like a Mk3, but not at all a full replica. 

#13 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

Hmm, El Paso looks good too.... Can't find many pictures.

http://tr133.blogspo...paso-beige.html

#14 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

We use the same info source.

I could be interpreting it wrong, It does state on the Exterior Body Colour Sheet  that "the combination of colours & trim on individual models is listed on a separate sheet"

Beduoin & El Paso are listed as exterior paint options on BLMC cars (of which there were many models!) but aren't shown as being available on any of the Austin range for 1970/71.

By the way: I don't dislike Beige, i MIGHT be buying a Beige car this weekend!

Edited by Itsaminithing, 25 September 2019 - 10:13 PM.

#15 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

We use the same info source.

I could be interpreting it wrong, It does state on the Exterior Body Colour Sheet  that "the combination of colours & trim on individual models is listed on a separate sheet"

Beduoin & El Paso are listed as exterior paint options on BLMC cars (of which there were many models!) but aren't shown as being available on any of the Austin range for 1970/71.

By the way: I don't dislike Beige, i MIGHT be buying a Beige car this weekend!

Ah, I think you're right. I saw the colour chips at the top and assumed that applied to all, but I think you're correct about the model specific trim.

Tell me more about your Beige purchase! I'm open to colours from other manufacturers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users