Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:19 AM

Hi all,

What with A-Series Spares going under and me losing the money for the central locking kit I ordered (a year and a half of waiting and false promises!), I'm trying to find an unfitted kit which I might be able to purchase from someone as an alternative. I've heard mixed reviews as to the quality of these parts, but what did interest me is the neat way that they secured with the locking mechanism, which looked more sophisticated than the general kits which attach to the door latch.

So, while I try and hunt down a kit from someone (and if you have one, please do get in touch), I had two questions:

1) How does the Rover alarm interface (what MiniSpares sell as MSSK2004) hook up to their control box?

2) As my car is an MPi and has side impact bars, what is required to avoid these when attaching the securing screw for the puller piece just below the door lock itself? Rob from A-Series did mention that there was some extra bracketry that they would include for an MPi, but naturally, I never got to see what these looked like. For reference - this location https://tinyurl.com/y5l3hrn5

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jacob

Attached Files

#2 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 03 November 2019 - 01:13 PM

I fitted a different kit, from Wood and Picket, but I wouldn't think it would be much different.

1) It simply involved simple splicing into a few cables and adding an extra pin on the plug into the alarm module.  All simple and neat.  Did have a small extra module to stash away.  Its tie wrapped onto the loom.  I'm a bit OCD with stuff, especially cabling.

2) My linear actuators live at the bottom of the door void, well away from the crash bars.  I have a simple lever arm that goes up towards the locking lever and clears the crash bar with no issues.  theres a fulcrum fixing bar near the end off the additional lever that bolts onto the door.  I did have to cut away a small bit of the door near the locking bar to allow the new lever to have clearance but was that small a piece that I did it with my Dremel.

The biggest annoying thing to deal with is routing the cables back through the door and the doorframe.  I triple covered mine with good heat shrink and put them through decent grommets in the door and door frame to keep them safe and 3 well used years later everything is good.  there are other forum posts about using cable fellows from other cars and what's best and they would be a neater OEM look.  

Its a pain in the rear disconnecting the cables and feeding them back through if you need to take the door off and my doors are well filled with Dynax cavity rustproofed thats seeped and creeped over everything, makes removing them yucky.

the rover alarm key doesn't have much range and what there is drops off fast with battery usage, I keep a spare alarm battery in the car just in case. 

Fitting the central locking was a nice wee project that went well for us and I love turning up at club / show stuff and just flipping the locks / alarms to wind up a few people.

#3 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 09:01 AM

I'll give this another bump - anyone out there fitted the A-Series kit to an MPi?

#4 limby2000

limby2000

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:28 PM

I fitted the A-series central locking kit to my mini 30, my drivers door was a mpi door with the brace bar, their was,nt any difference to fit. My kit which i bought off here had a module which i was able to wire into a different brand of alarm via the trigger wires.

#5 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Funny, as I thought where the side impact bar is attached is exactly where you secure the puller cable to the door, as in the picture I posted.

I take it you were still able to secure it, then?

#6 limby2000

limby2000

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 07:45 PM

I assume we are talking about the bolt below the door catch, the only issue i had was, i had do grind down one of the 4x bolts that hold on the latch as it was rubbing the cable. But this was unrelated to the bar. Their system is good although not a 5 minute job especially if you want your wires routed properly.

#7 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:12 PM

I mean this bolt here, if that clarifies?

Attached Files

Edited by Tumbleweed-Connection, 01 January 2020 - 08:13 PM.

#8 limby2000

limby2000

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, thats the small one you have to drill, it did,nt effect the door bar, as that is fixed to the inner side of the door frame.

#9 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:22 PM

Yeah, so you had that attachment for the side impact bar I've pictured above, plus the securing screw for the puller cable itself - both next to each other.

Ok, well that helps - at least I know it's no different. Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users