#1 Adge456

Adge456

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:53 PM

Hi,
Having quite a few problems at the min with my little car.
I had a few people on here a while ago suggest that my car was pinking and I wanted to double check so I have put a video on YouTube in hopes someone can look at it and tell me if it is or isn’t or what could be the problem.
In addition, not the car seems to be idling at 2000rpm and if it knocks a tiny bit, it struggles and stalls. Could this be to do with the same problem?
I’ve tried tweaking the carb but it just seems to stay the same.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. And if it is pinking. What can help it?
I looked at the timing and it was well out. The dot was around 3 inches past the teeth. So I’ve turned it back to get it in between the teeth but as it is high on rpm I didn’t want to get it ‘where it should be’ as I know the revs need to be around 1000rpm.

The link is https://youtu.be/r-5T3hh6D24
https: //youtu.be/r-5T3hh6D24

Thanks in advance!
Adge

#2 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:39 PM

It`s very difficult to diagnose without being there but the engine revving high and stalling points to an air leak so check your vacuum pipe is intact and connected then the manifold, dash pot oil level, servo pipe etc etc for starters.

The engine noise doesn`t sound great but the starter motor, alternator and water pump can make similar noises when worn, also the crank pulley if loose but usually at lower revs.

I really not a fan of those pointless pancake air filters that restrict flow and cause noise but I guess it was running OK before with it on ?

Is there any blue smoke from the exhaust ?

#3 Adge456

Adge456

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will check the pipe tomorrow and report back.
I might add that the noise seems to come when it has warmed up a bit.
But it does sound like it’s coming more centrally, like the block/head. I’ve not noticed any blue smoke but I will look more intently tomorrow to double check.
As for the air filter, it did have a bigger one on but I accidentally drove over i when I was rebuilding the car and was testing it up and down my drive ? but it had run fine for about a year with that cheap little thing.

Thank you for the reply and I will get back with my observations tomorrow.

#4 Adge456

Adge456

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

Ok, so looked at the pipe, there was a slight crack so I will order a new one. I taped it up and put it back on but didn’t change anything, I added a little oil in the pot and that seemed to help, how do you check that it’s the correct level?

There was no blue smoke which I suppose is one good note.
I retarded the timing a little bit and it seemed to run ok for a little while but then as it warmed up, the pinging noise came back, although not nearly as violent.

Once I turned it off, I did hear a little noise coming from the carb area. Not hissing but almost a sucking noise, very slight. I wonder if this would suggest an air leak from around there still?

Hope this gives a bit of insight.
Can’t thank you enough for taking the time to help.

#5 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:20 PM

Start the engine and let it idle. Then spray WD40 at the manifold joint and if the revs increase, you have a leak.

#6 Adge456

Adge456

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:35 PM

Thanks buddy. Just on a dog walk so I’ll try it when I’m back ??

#7 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

Fill the dash pot up to about 10 mm below the top of the tube.

As above spray around the manifold gasket areas as it must be pulling air from somewhere.

Do check your idle stop and choke are working correctly and not sticking, its hard to guess sitting in front of a keyboard but we will get there in the end.

#8 Adge456

Adge456

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:10 PM

Didn’t hear any higher revs with WD. Would it rather noticeable?
Although I didn’t hear the hissing/sucking noise this time

#9 Adge456

Adge456

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:12 PM

Also the idle stop and choke seem fine. Would you say to get new seals for the carb? Take it off, change them over and see?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users