#1 tomtic

tomtic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

I've bought one of the stage 1 kits from minispares, apart from instead of getting the replacement filter element I took the K&N cone filter.

I've got a 1989 City E, 998cc with a HS4. I fitted the torquemaster manifold, along with the 'spacer' and the 'plate' with the gaskets in between, but now I'm struggling to get the carburettor on let alone with the K&N filter on the back.

At a squeeze I can get the carburetor on with the filter but the bottom of the back plate is touching the baulkhead, I'm guessing as soon as I start the engine this will snap it straight off.

How do I fix this problem, my problem would have been even worse if I'd have gone with the standard air filter box, there's no way I'd have got that in there.

My engine steady bushes are new, so they're not worn.

I've searched back and people are bashing great big holes in the baulkhead, that doesn't sound like a decent solution, is there something I'm missing here?

Do I need that 'spacer', and if not where can I get shortened studs.

Thanks.

#2 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:10 PM

bottom of the carb hitting the bulk head.

two options. modify the bulkhead. or take out the spacer.

edit

i mean the carb spacer. mini mag seem to love doing it.

edit,

man i got to read stuff better. the studs are (on mine at lest) the same thread as the screws that old the .. .. 90* elbow on the carb. get some bolts the same thread size but longer and bolt straight to the manifold. thats what i'd do but i have a good nut and bolt place near me. if push comes to shove you can always pack some washers in for spacer when you take out the spacer on the carb.

Edited by Big_Adam, 25 October 2006 - 08:15 PM.

#3 tomtic

tomtic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

Modify being 'smash it senseless with a big hammer to make a big cave for the K&N to live'?

And taking out the spacer meaning I need shorter studs to fasten the carb back on.

bottom of the carb hitting the bulk head.

two options. modify the bulkhead. or take out the spacer.

edit

i mean the carb spacer. mini mag seem to love doing it.

#4 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:16 PM

sorry about my C**p replys. i've editied that one. (previous)

#5 tomtic

tomtic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

Hmm, packing washers in wouldn't be ideal, but surely they sell shortened studs?

#6 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:23 PM

i'll go have a quick poke round mini spares.

but why not just tap the exsisting studs all the way. be quicker and easyer.

#7 tomtic

tomtic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:25 PM

i'll go have a quick poke round mini spares.

but why not just tap the exsisting studs all the way. be quicker and easyer.

I don't have the tools to tap them :genius:

#8 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:27 PM

neither do i :genius:

just pop down to a good tool shop with the stud in tow and tell them your problem.

on another note. if mini spares do have them i can;t find them.

edit

ah, in mini world they just bolt straight to the manifold. so you might have to do that insted.

Edited by Big_Adam, 25 October 2006 - 08:29 PM.

#9 Maxmini

Maxmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

Try leaving out the square spacer. I have been told using a maniflow manifold It would clear the bulkhead.
Or use a hammer to reshape the bulkhead but this is a last resort.

#10 tomtic

tomtic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:08 PM

Try leaving out the square spacer. I have been told using a maniflow manifold It would clear the bulkhead.

Yeah been working on it, just shaped the bulkhead with a bit of wood and a hammer, seems to fit ok now, it's just close on the plastic in that 'circle' in the bulkhead, if it catches anywhere, it'll be on there now.

#11 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:27 PM

Yeah been working on it, just shaped the bulkhead with a bit of wood and a hammer, seems to fit ok now, it's just close on the plastic in that 'circle' in the bulkhead, if it catches anywhere, it'll be on there now.

hi mate they are tight and the torquemaster manifold is not the best, you did the best thing with the bit of wood and to tap back the bulkhead so long as it does not catch you should be ok and just watch where your petrol pipe is and its not to close to the exhaust manifold

#12 tomtic

tomtic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

Petrol pipe is on the carb, and what do you mean they are not the best?

Not the best for fitting or not the best manifold for performance? As far I've read they're a pretty good manifold for performance, for the money I mean anyway, they're only about 30-40 notes.

I've kept the spacer in by the way, and it's fitted, I'm not sure whether I can tap the plastic in the bulkhead without splitting it, I didn't want to risk it.

I also had to rip all of the sound proofing out, so I'm going to have to get used to the K&N noise as I have no dash either, heh.

#13 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:20 PM

Not the best for fitting or not the best manifold for performance? As far I've read they're a pretty good manifold for performance, for the money I mean anyway, they're only about 30-40 notes.

I've kept the spacer in by the way, and it's fitted, I'm not sure whether I can tap the plastic in the bulkhead without splitting it, I didn't want to risk it.

I also had to rip all of the sound proofing out, so I'm going to have to get used to the K&N noise as I have no dash either, heh.

sorry mate there not the best fit and just watch your petrol pipe where it goes down to the petrol pump as they get close to the exhaust manifold thats all

#14 tomtic

tomtic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:26 PM

sorry mate there not the best fit and just watch your petrol pipe where it goes down to the petrol pump as they get close to the exhaust manifold thats all

Ah right good, I was worried I'd bought a bag of nails for a minute there. But yeah, the fuel line is clear of the manifold. Cheers.

#15 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

Ah right good, I was worried I'd bought a bag of nails for a minute there. But yeah, the fuel line is clear of the manifold. Cheers.
[/quote]

good i cant stress enough about the petrol pipe but glad its away from manifold :genius:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users