Photo
- - - - -

Anyone know a rough price for fitting a 1.293cc enginge?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 If it dnt clank+bang its a metro

If it dnt clank+bang its a metro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Local Club: ?

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

Hey,
I'm very sad. :genius: I found out about getting the Honda engine I want, I even found someone who could do the work for....just over my proce range but manageable and I've called around for insurance all yesterday and no one will insure me. I had same problem when was going to get a type-R, no one would insure me on that either. Will have to wait till I'm a bit older, not long but seems a shame to put a lesser engine in when it's only a year till I can have the one I want. :dontgetit:

Anyway, enough of me moaning. I'm going to get myself a 1.3 engine and just wondered if there is anyone around here that would do me a quote on putting it in? If no one has the time to be doing work....a rough idea and I'll go to a garage or sumwer.

Thanks
Blu Jess
x

#2 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:30 PM

The average cost is between £250 and £500 depending where you look! I know that an engine change usually takes me a good few hours (as long as nothing is seized). Last time I paid for one I paid £300 notes! :genius:

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

fitting a 1293 wont cost anymore in fitting than a 1425 etc etc, But if you have to build the engine yourself then it'll cost more as for the very basic job you'll need you'll need pistons, rings, a rebore and then probably bearings to go with it. since you'd be stripping the engine to do this you'd basically be re-conning it by fitting new gaskets too.

If i'd were you, I'd buy a running 1275 off someone here and keep it goin for a year, there never was a standard production 1293 built. Also you're going to need to save up for the insurance over the next year for the honda conversion etc and the actual;y money needed to build the darn thing.

when people say 1.3 or 1300, they generally mean 1275.

#4 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:43 PM

Well, for an engine swap I've been quoted £250.

However, a mate of mine had two engines taken out and then one put back in and that only cost him under £150, and he came out to the house!

Just phone around.

#5 fikus01

fikus01

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG - Southend Mini Action Group

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:22 PM

dont be so eager to go fast!! make the thing handle well as a 998, hilos, dampers, tyres! do a stage 1 kit and get it setup on the rollers then just sit tight!! for a year!! then do 1300 then do honda!! take baby steps or u mite find urself going a bit too fast at the wrong time!! speaking from experience here!!

it may be rude of me to ask but how old are you if you cant get a quote on a honda mini?? feel free to decline an answer!!

#6 If it dnt clank+bang its a metro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:07 AM

Hey,
I'm 20. I'll let you have that one, just this once:)
I've been driving for 2 years, had the min for 3. I used to drive from Brum to Wrexham quite frequently and I must say it was an absolute nightmare on all the roundabouts! He didn't pull away any quicker than a snail. It drove me mad. For just over half a year I've been in a 1.3 Honda and I couldn't go back to the 998 snail now, would kill me.
Over the time I've had him he has been serviced (rolling road tuned), a full stage 1 kit was fitted -and I don't care what anyone says about this, he sounds lovely, just like a fighter jet, all my neighbours loved him!lol but it didn't go any quicker!!! I don't know about the other technical talk, you'll have to speak more simpley for me to understand!:S
I have a few things to do on him, and I will do them all, it's just I thought not much point getting a paint job and having to have it redone when I need an extended front end. But shall see how it goes with the 1.275 engine that should arrive the end of this week:D
You mean right round garages??? It's funny, all the mini people I've ever talked to have always sed never take him to a garage. I always thought that a bit odd.....because who is gonna do it then?? But they all worked on theirs themselves. You may have already guessed from the silly questions I've posted that that is not likely to happen!lol I have no motor vehicle sense what so ever!:S
Well I shall let you know how it goes.:P
Thanks for all the advice.
Jess

Haha.....Hilos, I know what they are, the has adjustable hi-los on the front.:wub:
I don't know what dampers are......so I hope they aren't that important!lol But he has everything else on your list, to roll on Honda lump!!:P

#7 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:19 AM

many apologies!! i got the impression from your line of questioning that you werent long behind the wheel of a mini!! many more apologies! didnt want to encorage a new driver to start going as fast as possible and get more power as u can understand!!

1275!! i rekon you'd probably get change from £300 at a garage depending how mini friendly the garage was!! maybe less as to be honest if the 1275 engine is totally a complete mini lump, then its only really 2 - 3 hours of work for 1 man (not being sexist) with the right gear!!

#8 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:49 AM

Swapping an engine over on your own car is a doddle... swapping someone elses is a right pain....

I know that sounds wierd, but with your own car, you know the bits which will cause difficulty, so are prepared, with someone elses, something like a ball joint which will not split or and LCB which you'll have to cut to get it off cause massive amounts of frustration and time, and then when you have swapped it over, you spend hours trying to get the thing running properly...

#9 If it dnt clank+bang its a metro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:15 PM

That's okay, 2 and a half years doesn't really give me that much driving experience and it is likely I may kill myself with a 1.6 honda mini, lets face it it was a possibility in the 998 the way I drive, but just on the off chance that I don't, I still want one:)

Anyway, off to call round some car people:)

I'll post back when he's done:)
Jess
x

#10 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:36 PM

Hmmn, or you'll kill someone else.

#11 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:48 PM

what? why would you hurt you or someone else? The way you drive shuoldn't change just because you got an extra hundred ponies under the bonnet?!

Just drive responsibly and not like a maniac as i'm sure you do already! If you need to thrash it, get on the track or do the nurberg ring trip etc.

#12 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:30 PM

i think like that, you clearly think like that!! not everyone does tho!! its more power, more speed, just more everything til they fall off the road or run out of space and get hurt!!

hardest way to learn!!

im not aiming this at jess, wouldnt comment on someones driving unles i had experienced it but just some drivers, mostly young ones in general!!

#13 If it dnt clank+bang its a metro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for not aiming that one at me Fikus01 ;), and as for Sammy D's comment, no I don't intend on killing anyone else!!!!! nor myslef, I was joking! Okay, perhaps bad taste. I don't drive like a :w00t:. And I wasn't after more top speed, as I had said, just to beat the snails at pulling away.-it adds a lot of time on your journey when you've got to go a long way.
I do think younger drivers are more of a risk but equally are 'older' drivers; slow reactions, always in the middle of the road, or the wrong side in country lanes.(this is a generalisation-just like young drives is). The only way you can get the experience to be a 'good driver' is to drive. I won't get in the car with my grandad anymore his is so bad. But I'm sure if you ask anyone their driving isn't perfect, so people in glass houses....
Thanks for the comments anyway.
x

#14 fikus01

fikus01

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

tatally agree!! by the way are you a guy or a gal? just curious really, just you keep kissing everyone after your messages and i know of both male and female jesses!!

want to know weather to be pleased to be recieving the written kisses or to pretend they are just an x at the end of a message!!

p.s. liking the name with the exception that my every day car being a metro clanks and bangs just like a mini but it also goes and handles like one too ;)

#15 If it dnt clank+bang its a metro

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 01:18 AM

lol oh dear. I am a girl, it's okay don't have a panic. I hope everyone else doesn't see it as me kissing them, ;) it's just a friendly way to say thanks and bye.:w00t: I thought everyone does it! But it appears they don't :S I'm not gonna stop doing it tho!
x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users