18 replies to this topic

#1 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:57 PM

My car already has HiLo's and adjustable tie rods. I've got the mini spares adjustable lower arms to put on the car along with the off centre bushes. However there are no instructions for either. So has anyone got pictures of these arms in place which way up/round they go. The bushes have marks on them but what do they line up with? Lastly I here that you should add a 3mm spacer but does this go under the bump stop? I presume it does. Help appreciated

#2 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:51 PM

scratch part of that because on reflection they can only go one way round. Its more some advice on the bushes and which way to align them and the spacer that I need the help with.

#3 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:19 PM

If I remember the one at the front has the line towards the arm and the car side is opposite.
The spacer should go under the rebound, not the bump stop.

Edit: I seem to have had dome instructions somewhere but finding them would probably take a year... Basicly the arm wants to go forward compared to the bar it attaches to. The rubber is angled to let it do just that.

Edited by MacGyver, 06 April 2020 - 05:21 PM.

#4 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 05:54 PM

So with normal bushes the arm is parrallel to the car but with the offset bushes the arm is actually angled towards the front of the car?

Sorry I meant the rebound not the bump stop. but does it go under the rebound? I can't see it going anywhere else?

#5 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:11 PM

I may be missing something here but you have both offset bushes and adjustable lower arms. Surely they are both trying to do the same thing, make the lower arm slightly longer to give negative camber. I do not think you need both.

The adjustable tie bars will allow adjustment of castor but will also mess up your camber when altered. And then there is the tracking ! It's a vicious circle but achievable with patience

Best of luck..

PS. I should have read the Minispares info with the offset bushes first before posting. I guess you may well need both. I see you are in Ticehurst , not a million miles away from Leigh Dale, Mondosport, Hastings who will set up your suspension expertly.

Edited by rww, 06 April 2020 - 06:18 PM.

#6 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:18 PM

Yes, under the rebound.
Actually the original arm is also angled, it's just the bushes get squished. The minispares bushes just correct this and permit you to dial in the geometry properly. ?

#7 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:21 PM

Definitely get it set properly once done. You can pre set the arms and tie-rods to as close to original as possible to start with. At least you'll be able to drive it to the garage then.

#8 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:30 PM

Thanks guys I have tracking equipment and both castor and camber gauges. i will set up as standard then add a bit of neg camber. Once added I will re check caster max 3.5 degrees and tracking again. Thanks for the info on Mondosport. I am looking for a local a local guy to set up accurately. When we are all allowed out again I'll get it sorted properly. I am also close to CCK historic who also have a rolling road. Still need to know for sure about the bushes though before I put the arms on.

#9 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

http://minispares.co...e-job-correctly
This is all I can find now... Used to have an article from Keith Dodd on the bushes.
Will have a quick look tomorrow if I can find the instructions, but I'm pretty sure what I said was right as fitted both my brothers car with them. Maybe someone will come in between and confirm... Or not.

#10 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:17 PM

thanks really appreciate the help. obviously plenty of time on my hands to sort it out at the moment.

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:18 PM

http://minispares.co...ttom-arm-bushes

#12 rww

rww

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:30 PM

Thanks guys I have tracking equipment and both castor and camber gauges. i will set up as standard then add a bit of neg camber. Once added I will re check caster max 3.5 degrees and tracking again. Thanks for the info on Mondosport. I am looking for a local a local guy to set up accurately. When we are all allowed out again I'll get it sorted properly. I am also close to CCK historic who also have a rolling road. Still need to know for sure about the bushes though before I put the arms on.

I'm sure there is someone within Minispares who can supply the fitting info.

#13 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:55 PM

I'm sure there is someone within Minispares who can supply the fitting info.

maybe the link I posted?  :rolleyes:

#14 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 07:56 PM

http://minispares.co...ttom-arm-bushes

Thanks! Couldn't find that page somehow.

#15 Tonylamb

Tonylamb

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:10 PM

Thanks I searched and searched don't know how I couldn't find that? Cheers

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users