#1 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:07 PM

A couple of my standard plastic Rover arches have split and are rattling around rather annoyingly, so I'm going to drill out the rivets to remove them all - originally I was thinking of replacing them with a set of Group 2 narrows in gloss black to match the car's roof, but I'm also tempted down the route of just leaving them off, filling in the holes and fitting a new finisher (either chrome or black, undecided yet).

My car is a standard '91 Rover Mini Neon with the factory 8.4" discs and spaced rear drums, running a set of standard Rover 12x4.5 minilites and 145 tyres. At a glance it does look like I could get away with running without any arches on this setup, as the wheels don't appear to protrude beyond the body line, but does anyone know for sure if it would be okay for MOTs etc?

And I suppose another question is, what's everyone's opinion on the actual look of going down either route? I've attached a picture of my mini in its current state to show the starting point!  :shades:

169ZRFr.jpg

Cheers! - Jack

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:38 PM

12" wheels without arches might result in a prosecution. You might get away with it, you might not.

Mine used to have Group 2s but I opted for 10" wheels with no arches.

The handling and ride are vastly improved. The looks, too, IMO.

Attached Files

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:17 PM

The later 12" wheel version of the Mini 1275GT had the same disc brake/ rear drums setup with steel rims and 145 standard tyres (or Dunlop Denovo runflat tyres) without arches from the factory. It was borderline on visible tread from above but was in production like that for several years and owners often fitted aftermarket alloys like yours without problems as long as the rim does not have too much offset.

qtrJqbc.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 08 April 2020 - 03:25 PM.

#4 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:58 PM

The later 12" wheel version of the Mini 1275GT had the same disc brake/ rear drums setup with steel rims and 145 standard tyres (or Dunlop Denovo runflat tyres) without arches from the factory. It was borderline on visible tread from above but was in production like that for several years and owners often fitted aftermarket alloys like yours without problems as long as the rim does not have too much offset.

I'd need to check to be 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure my current wheels are ET35 offset - after a quick google that seems to be the same as the 12" steel wheels you mentioned, so it looks like running without arches could be an option after all!

12" wheels without arches might result in a prosecution. You might get away with it, you might not.

Mine used to have Group 2s but I opted for 10" wheels with no arches.

The handling and ride are vastly improved. The looks, too, IMO.

In an ideal world I'd love to fit a set of 10's, but at the moment I can't really justify the expense of changing the front brakes, along with forking out for a whole new set of wheels & tyres  >_< Maybe one day... I do fancy the idea of a set of black & silver rosepetals!

#5 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:55 PM

My GT had 6 x 12 wheels with 165 tyres when I first got it along with standard arches

ipaMkb5.jpg

The current set up is 5 x 12 with 165 tyres archless with chrome trim

HWHP3nB.jpg

#6 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:25 PM

So I've just taken the arches off...

C1vDJ79.jpg

I do quite like the new look but I'm still undecided whether I'll stick with this or install group 2's instead... I guess time will tell!

#7 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:35 PM

That looks like it should be OK as far as the tyre/bodyline goes.

A pair of Mini Spares gzf105a (chrome, as on mine) or gzf108a (black) Body Seam Plastic Trim De Luxe would set it off nicely.

#8 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:43 PM

IMO it looks better without the arches, as Quinlan minor has highlighted it just needs either chrome or black finishing strips.

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:35 PM

IMO it looks better without the arches, as Quinlan minor has highlighted it just needs either chrome or black finishing strips.

I agree it looks better! :mrcool:

Edited by mab01uk, 08 April 2020 - 09:35 PM.

#10 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:51 AM

The more I look at it, the more I like it with no arches... so now just to decide between a black or chrome finishing strip!

The only downside at the minute is the unsightly holes the arches left behind, which are pretty obvious if you get up close. But since I'm probably going to get the bonnet & boot resprayed to remove the painted stripes, I'll likely be able to get that sorted at the same time  :proud:

#11 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:07 PM

The more I look at it, the more I like it with no arches... so now just to decide between a black or chrome finishing strip!

The only downside at the minute is the unsightly holes the arches left behind, which are pretty obvious if you get up close. But since I'm probably going to get the bonnet & boot resprayed to remove the painted stripes, I'll likely be able to get that sorted at the same time  :proud:

If you're losing the black stripes, I'd suggest chrome.

#12 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:32 PM

Ben (Mill Road) did a great job of filling (welding) up the holes on mine after i removed the arches.

#13 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 03:10 PM

I removed the plastic arches from my mini city as I always felt like they just trapped mud and water under them

My method for filling the holes was....(I can’t weld)
The electric socket backing plate things which are galvanised steel have nice precut circles you punch out for wiring. I attached them to the inside of the arches with some sort of adhesive, then filler and paint on the outside.
Worked for me and has survived over a year so far.
I would like to point out I am far from a perfectionist and purely do whatever seems easiest for me rather than what’s best...

Attached File  B2D91548-4DA9-4E5C-9C72-E0A78291341E.jpeg   21.73K   11 downloads
Attached File  39E09022-EEF6-47F4-A410-CAA84BED314F.jpeg   21.29K   12 downloads
Attached File  29D38188-9BD8-45B9-9D42-38BF6108ED4D.png   115.63K   9 downloads
Attached File  BBDBEBE4-429F-4EAB-A2AE-4609998AA3EA.jpeg   85.76K   8 downloads

#14 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 12 April 2020 - 06:09 PM

You don't need arch extensions with the factory 4.5" wheels. In fact the offset and width is no difference from the original Cooper 'S' 1275 with the then optional 4.5" rims.

I never use arch extensions on any of my cars because I don't like the look of them. they always look like 'boy racer' add-ons to me.

My 1990 Cooper road-rally car has 5" x 10" with no arch extensions with standard datum offset and it is no issue at MoT time. I normally run 165/70 x 10 tyres, although I have run with 12" wheels and 165/60 x 12 tyres.

#15 MiniCarJack

MiniCarJack

Formally known as W1NG3D

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:10 PM

You don't need arch extensions with the factory 4.5" wheels. In fact the offset and width is no difference from the original Cooper 'S' 1275 with the then optional 4.5" rims.

I never use arch extensions on any of my cars because I don't like the look of them. they always look like 'boy racer' add-ons to me.

My 1990 Cooper road-rally car has 5" x 10" with no arch extensions with standard datum offset and it is no issue at MoT time. I normally run 165/70 x 10 tyres, although I have run with 12" wheels and 165/60 x 12 tyres.

It's good to know that even 165/60x12's should be okay without arch extensions, the options for new 165 tyres do seem a bit better than 145's so that may well be a route I go down in the future.

The classic look of the earlier cars has always appealed to me, in fact I still own a '65 Morris over in New Zealand (funnily enough, fitted with the exact 'S' brake & 4.5" wheel setup you mentioned), which is probably why the arch-less look on this Neon has grown on me so much! Even though they are a factory fitment, the black plastic arches have never looked quite "right" to me hence the original thought of replacing them with Group 2's... but now my mind is set, they'll be staying off!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users