Photo

A Conversation Between A Child And Their Grandad In 2095...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 13 April 2020 - 12:15 PM

Message below seen online....

A conversation between a child and their Grandad in 2095...

Child - How old are you Grandad?
Grandad - I'm 81 Kid.
Child - So does that mean you were alive during the Coronavirus?
Grandad - Yes kid I was.
Child - Wow. That must have been horrible Grandad. We were learning about that at school this week.

They told us about how all the schools had closed. And mum's and dads couldn't go to work so didn't have as much money to do nice things. They said that you weren't allowed to go and visit your friends and family and couldn't go out anywhere. They told us that the shops ran out of lots of things so you didn't have much bread, and flour, and toilet roll 'child giggles'. They said that summer holidays were cancelled. And they told us about all those thousands of people that got very poorly and who died. They explained about the NHS and how hard all the doctors and nurses and all NHS workers worked, and that lots of them died too.

That must have been so horrible Grandad.

Grandad - Well kid, that is all correct. And I know that because I read about it when I was older. But to tell you the truth I remember it differently...

I remember playing in the garden for hours with mum and dad and having picnics outside and lots of bbq's. I remember making things with my Dad and baking with my Mum. I remember making dens with my little brother and teaching him how to do hand stands and back flips. I remember having quality time with my family. I remember mum's favorite words becoming 'Hey, I've got an idea...' Rather than 'Maybe later or tomorrow i'm a bit busy'. I remember making our own bread and pastry. I remember having film night 3 or 4 times a week instead of just one.

It was a horrible time for lots of people you are right. But I remember it differently.

"Remember how our children will remember these times. Be in control of the memories they are creating right now, so that through all the awful headlines and emotional stories for so many that they will come to read in future years, they can remember the happy times."

Edited by mab01uk, 13 April 2020 - 12:17 PM.

#2 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 13 April 2020 - 03:49 PM

Lol

#3 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 11:40 PM

Bang on. My son is loving it. We have spent nearly all week in the garden and I've been in the garage every evening. Furthest I've been for 2 weeks is putting the bin out.

#4 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:21 AM

Most definitely a time to value family and take that heightened appreciation forward beyond the current crisis.

Nothing wrong with more empathy in general, both for other people and other species.

#5 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:52 AM

The 70's power cuts were great fun too, playing Monopoly by candlelight - or was that just what we did waiting for the telly to warm up  O_O

Anyhoo, I predict another baby boom around Xmas. Covid if it's a boy 'n Coronella for a girl?

#6 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,096 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 14 April 2020 - 02:15 PM

I actually remember speaking to my grandfather about minis that cost 100 with mot and tax...

CAN HARDLY GET A STRIPPED ENGINE FOR THAT NOWADAYS.

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 16 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

My 10 year old Grandson recently had to do a school project about WW1.
With a bit of help he discovered that his great-great-grandad fought in France in WW1 and I had to tell him what I recalled about him.
That was a real and close relationship between my family's past, present and future.
My grandson was really interested, as was my son.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 18 April 2020 - 08:29 AM

While these are grim times, there's many many silver linings.

It's just like life isn't it - it is what YOU want to make of it and also impress upon the young.

#9 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:11 AM

I was watching car SOS with the mini and my son said "look... there's a mini car just like yours daddy!!" Then he said "your fixing your mini car, can I help?" .... yes you can son!!!! ?

But his idea of helping is getting in and out of the drivers side and whacking the door against the garage wall!

Edited by blacktulip, 18 April 2020 - 09:12 AM.

#10 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:49 PM

Grandad - I'm 81 Kid.
Grandad - Yes kid I was.
Child - Wow. That must have been horrible Grandad. We were learning about that at school this week.

They told us about how all the schools had closed. And mum's and dads couldn't go to work so didn't have as much money to do nice things. They said that you weren't allowed to go and visit your friends and family and couldn't go out anywhere. They told us that the shops ran out of lots of things so you didn't have much bread, and flour, and toilet roll 'child giggles'. They said that summer holidays were cancelled. And they told us about all those thousands of people that got very poorly and who died. They explained about the NHS and how hard all the doctors and nurses and all NHS workers worked, and that lots of them died too.

Grandad - Well kid, that is all correct. And I know that because I read about it when I was older. But to tell you the truth I remember it differently...

I remember playing in the garden for hours with mum and dad and having picnics outside and lots of bbq's. I remember making things with my Dad and baking with my Mum. I remember making dens with my little brother and teaching him how to do hand stands and back flips. I remember having quality time with my family. I remember mum's favorite words becoming 'Hey, I've got an idea...' Rather than 'Maybe later or tomorrow i'm a bit busy'. I remember making our own bread and pastry. I remember having film night 3 or 4 times a week instead of just one.

It was a horrible time for lots of people you are right. But I remember it differently.

"Remember how our children will remember these times. Be in control of the memories they are creating right now, so that through all the awful headlines and emotional stories for so many that they will come to read in future years, they can remember the happy times."

in these times ive finally taught my oldest girl to ride the vintage bmx i bought her 5 years ago and now all she wants to do is ride it. I take her all the places my dad took me I hope she remembers them like I do my dad.

#11 MaisieWilliams

MaisieWilliams
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:01 AM

Grandad - I'm 81 Kid.
Grandad - Yes kid I was.

it is beautiful, yes it has been quite difficult to get family time before covid

#12 happyhacker

happyhacker

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:18 AM

:lol: Which Coronavirus attack? 2019, 2035, 2041, 2048, 2056?

#13 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:21 AM

No need to worry about further outbreaks as we are going to build up a herd immunity.

-just like we did with the Bubonic Plague outbreak of 1348-49 (the Black Death),  1361–62,  1369.... etc, etc.

#14 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:44 AM

No need to worry about further outbreaks as we are going to build up a herd immunity.

-just like we did with the Bubonic Plague outbreak of 1348-49 (the Black Death),  1361–62,  1369.... etc, etc.

Or, alternatively, just like we haven't, for Influenza or the Common Cold Coronavirus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users