#1 wetdog

wetdog

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 01:54 PM

Hi,

new member cheekily asking for suggestions.  I own a 1990 Racing Flame called Frank.  I bought him for £1500 in around 1996 then gave him away in about 1998 then bought him back for £500 in 1999 (Don't ask!)  I used him as a second car for a while but eventually he ended up sat forlorn in my garage and then on my drive and didn't move until December 2016 when I dragged him onto a trailer and took him to live in a lock up where he would be dry and safe.  The lock up belongs to an acquaintance who restores cars albeit on a very slow timescale, which suits me.  After almost 4 years Frank as now arrived as next in line, and he has begun stripping him down.  So the questions are:

1.  Do I just have Frank restored back to original specification 

2.  Do I have him restored back to the cooperlike version as he was when I bought him

3.  Do I treat him to an "Upgrade" and if so what would I do?  

What I don't want to do is spend more than the cost of option 1 to end up having de-valued him.  I don't like red and so if it was option 3 I would be changing the colour.  Back in the day I did a few engine rebuilds so I wouldn't be averse to me refurbing/building an engine. 

In terms of condition he will need new subframes, doors, cills, A panels, valances etc etc.  Probably about 80k miles. When I bought him he had minilites, white bonnet stripes, spotlights and cooper decals. 

Option 3 could be fun!

Photo attached is me delivering Frank to his temporary lock up home.

Thanks for reading. 

Attached Files

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 17 April 2020 - 02:55 PM

Everyone  "Does something"  to their Mini.......................Original spec are like hen's teeth.

#3 SugarCrashedPupski

SugarCrashedPupski

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 02:56 PM

Option 2 with a different colour of your choice. Make it your own unless you're planning on selling it on in which case go red for originality. 

#4 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 02:59 PM

If it still has a lot of the original details that made it a Flame Red (crayons interior, rover minilites with wheelnut holes inline as per RSP wheels etc) then it's most valuable would be stock. Saying that it depends on what type of car you want to own, drive and enjoy.

I'd go either opt 1 or 3. I don't think there is any point in making him Cooper-like as there are plenty of those out there.

On option 3 I'd just go for it and make him unique and yours. A colour change would be on the cards, especially if you're not keen on Red!

Good luck and we'll all expect to see photos of him when he finally gets finished ??

Edited by cooperd70, 17 April 2020 - 03:00 PM.

#5 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:17 PM

I'd opt for original specification if it was me but it's yours so do what makes you happy.

#6 wetdog

wetdog

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:45 PM

Hi,

many thanks for replies.  Beyond the Cooper stickers I'm not sure how modified he is.  I've found a couple more photos.  Clocks were in a separate binnacle and I'm sure there are red lines on the door cards. 

I remember the seats as being quite plain cloth but "Sporty" (possibly the tyre tread sort of pattern I've seen on pics online)- the head rests are on a chrome central tube. Seatbelts were red. I'm maybe wondering now if I should keep him original.   I know its a bit cheaty having someone else refurb him but I don't have the time or space and for the extensive bodywork I definitely don't have the skills!

I've been looking through some of the projects on here and been really impressed by what people are doing.  

Cheers

Attached Files

#7 neet street

neet street

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 07:44 AM

you should do what you like, but always remember what your tast is may not be the same as others, so to keep value higher, stick to originality, if resale value is not somuch an issue, then go for it.#

#8 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 18 April 2020 - 10:30 AM

Unfortunately i've got some bad news for you   -Frank doesn't exist & must be a figment of your imagination !!!

.... or at least there's no such thing as a Racing Flame.

The V5C probably state Racing Flame but they were two different models-

https://www.roblight...e-brochure.html

If you dislike Red cars (i'm exactly the same) why not keep him original but make him a Racing instead of a Flame.

There was no difference between them except the paint colour & the exterior stickers (some sources claim the Racing had a chrome grille & the Flame had a black grille).

The minilite wheels & white roof are original & the spotlights are a sensible addition, but definitely ditch the mock-Cooper look.

#9 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 10:36 AM

Whatever you decide to do, you usually never get your money back. I'd make it stockist with a few frills that make it yours, but I'd get rid of the white roof and in my opinion, the hideous bonnet stripes and paint it any colour you like except grey!

#10 wetdog

wetdog

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 11:58 AM

Unfortunately i've got some bad news for you   -Frank doesn't exist & must be a figment of your imagination !!!

If you dislike Red cars (i'm exactly the same) why not keep him original but make him a Racing instead of a Flame.

There was no difference between them except the paint colour & the exterior stickers (some sources claim the Racing had a chrome grille & the Flame had a black grille).

The minilite wheels & white roof are original & the spotlights are a sensible addition, but definitely ditch the mock-Cooper look.

Hi, thanks for reply.  Interesting stuff.  The oldest V5 I have says "Mini racg flame checkmate" and the original service book has a vehicle details label which says "Mini R/F/CM" so I guess they lumped all three special editions together. 

#11 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 02:37 PM

Don't like red cars, what's wrong with you! :)

7QkNuep.jpg

#12 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 05:12 PM

Unfortunately i've got some bad news for you -Frank doesn't exist & must be a figment of your imagination !!!

1990 = Flame Red. I believe that they all came with the black grille as std...you could pay more for the chrome grille on the JCC conversion upgrade amongst other ancillaries

#13 wetdog

wetdog

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 11:29 AM

Hi all, I did try and reply to everyone's comments at the time but for some reason my replies didn't appear.  Firstly thanks everyone for your replies, very knowledgeable and have given me food for thought.  Frank the Mini is now almost stripped out and I've just placed order for first tranche of replacement body panels.  I think I have decided to put him back to original spec (but that could still change and I could go crazy!) 

I can't work out how to upload pics unfortunately. 

cheers

#14 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:20 PM

Flame Red & Racing Green.

A couple of "limited editions" that were essentially the same & on sale at the same time. See also Rose Pink & Sky Blue, also Red Hot & Jet Black....

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:20 PM

gY6Hxgn.jpg

Mini special editions:-

https://www.aronline...ecial-editions/

Edited by mab01uk, 24 June 2021 - 05:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users