#1 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: MedwayMiniClub

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:54 PM

hi all,in a mad moment on e-bay other night i purchased a supercharger off a new mini cooper(a eaton e45).i've seen them fitted to a series engines before,possibly i will fit this to one myself if i can find the time and patience!.if anyone has any advice/has done this conversion an can help me with some technical info it would be great.
i need to know-what speed charger normally spins at
-what psi it runs at
-good engine spec to match charger,pistons/cams etc but to stay reliable
-manufacture of inlet manifold/carb settings
you get the idea any help much appreciated.

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

I believe theres several different types of Eaton E45, something like 10-15, and only a few are the type you can fit on a mini?? I remember reading that somewhere, I think? :o

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

I seem to remember it is MOSS who do this conversion and they sell all the bits you need.

also a phone call to the guy who's doing the supercharger conversions on A-series at V-MAX would be worthwhile.... think his name is stuart.

#4 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

well Vmaxscart do the conversions. probs best to look on there but they wont supply kit seperately.

not seen any home done ones apart from the astom martin jobby in mini mag a few months back.

also i think Tarks on here was looking into some sort of DIY conversion

#5 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:01 PM

and try scurvy dog :o

#6 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:28 PM

cheers for ll the feedback people,much appreciated,im currently sourcing as much info as possible,i have friend of a friend who is a technician for bmw so hopefully he can help me out with a few needed parts and info.the sprite in mini mag is part of my inspiration to do the conversion.

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:30 PM

yeah you'll pulleys and what not

#8 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:32 PM

also need some clean trouser for your 1st run with the supercharger installed.

:genius:

#9 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:02 PM

went to pick it up from lincoln tonight,got messed around as per usual!!! >:P ,best part of 100 mile round trip!,after i've just driven down to kent at weekend already adding another 300 miles going via norfolk to pick up some alloys which turned out to be a diff hub fitment!!help.thankfully got phone call on way home after many apologies the bloke agreed to deliver it to me on wed himself and give me a discount for my troubles. :P mate should be e-mailing me some tech info soon,been in bmw cooper s and they are quick the one i went in had over 200bhp supposedly full jcw kit plus chip/zorst it was mentall.with a 1380 engine from moorespeed+charger going by the vmaxscart estate i see in mag shold put out approx 170bhp that's more than standard golf gti 1.8turbo!.gaggin for the exra power after my trip down the m11/m25 at weekend!!.

#10 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:49 PM

that sounds pretty mental actually!

let us know how it goes.. id be proper interested in this... (chav talk i think)

#11 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

Have a look into getting a lathe so you can make your own pulleys :P

You will also need to fabricate a custom manifold for fitting the charger to the engine which will be fun !

Vmax will sell the kit to DIY but they wont sell the individual parts I dont think, might be worth giving them a call to see if you can get hold of a manifold off them as that will be the hardest bit to do.

You can exchange the charger you have with them to reduce the price of the kit though, so maybe worth looking into doing it that way....

#12 Tarks

Tarks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Local Club: is there a local club? lol

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:25 PM

scurvy dog has his kits ready for the taking i believe now mine are 95 percent done!

ive my inlets done both for carb to charger also charger to head ive had my dog teeth pullys made and ive had belts made to fit which are now cataloged for general re-order if needed

im still waiting for a mate to turn one pully then my kit is complete

im also going to be doing a decompression plate for running the kits on std application to help stop blowing of head gaskets and pre ignition/ detonation

shortly when ive had a play with boost/vacuum levels ill be offering easy gear ratio changes give levels of boost from mild low psi to high tune psi for modded purpose build engines

pls bare with me tho im making sure my kits are 100% original and not a copy of any sort bar the charger used

but as i said scurvy is offering a general charger kit he has allready proven a hit best of luck to him for that

#13 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,136 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor rock ya mini & WSMOC

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

clicky :P

#14 Tarks

Tarks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Local Club: is there a local club? lol

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

people who go for my kits will see clearly that its been designed for long term use simple fitment and maximum performace and flow.

ive research this setup for over a year and it will be proven early in new year running on a std 1275 engine

ill also be building a 1293/1310 stage 3 with sc/cr box and lsd with a 3:4:1 diff ratio chosen as i belive they are most popular builds and will give a firm proven result on my kit over others.

it will be a very tidy simple kit with a few parts as extra you will not get else where with any other kit!

but cc size on a build will be your choice as long as you think about your compression ratio when choosing stroke and pistons

remember rolling road set up is necc for any kit to be fully effective/worth fitting

Edited by Tarks, 31 October 2006 - 04:50 PM.

#15 guywithvan

guywithvan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 05:50 PM

cheers for the link screech,an tarks keep in touch you may be a big help to me!,i know a bit about what i've got to do.matching charger rpm to engine speed,im prob only lookin to run about 4psi to start with,as for what engine to put it on havent made up my mind yet,as for the car i found it today a really sound 998 saloon original an complete for a bargin £100!!!!!!! :P .cheers for all the help so far though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users